Kyrptonite

Apparently it is the members of this boards wallets.If they touch that wallet and give to the alumni center I guess they think something terrible might happen.Over 400 members on this board and only about 5 responded on the "alumni center’’ thread that they had purchased a paver or a plack.Shameful.Baised on this data I propose that we come up with ideas to “help” these tight wad “fans” come up with just the minium 149 dollars to purchase a paver.My suggestion is to stop eating out at those costly restaurants for a month.Just eat shit and die.Just a bunch of talkers and on ACTION!

[i]Originally posted by lake49er[/i]@Apr 29 2005, 08:39 AM [b] Just eat shit and die. [/b]
You aren't going to guilt people into giving by "calling them out" on a message board... and telling them to "eat shit and die" certainly won't help your cause. If people want to give, they will give. And just because people aren't replying to your Alumni Center thread doesn't mean that they aren't donating. I will be making a donation and I didn't feel the need to reply.

Also… why do refuse to put spaces at the end of your sentances?

So, what you’re telling me is…

Unless I turn over my paycheck to the University, I am a tightwad.

It’s not enough that out of my wallet already came money for:

Season tickets for men’s basketball (I missed one game because I was in the hospital).
Attendance at 4 baseball games this season
Attendance at 4 women’s basketball games this season.
Attendance at 3 sessions of the CUSA women’s tournament.

(by the way, I paid for 2-4 people to attend each of those events…it wasn’t I bought one ticket)

Increased my donation to the 49er Club.
Donated to the basketball initiative (how many people will admit to that?)
Increased my donation to the University’s Annual Fund.

You’re judging people SOLELY on whether or not they give money to the Alumni Center?

Instead of skipping a costly restaurant, may I’ll just skip out on my support of baseball & women’s basketball.

Sorry, I refuse to accept your arguement.

lake needs some xanax

[i]Originally posted by lake49er[/i]@Apr 29 2005, 08:39 AM [b] Apparently it is the members of this boards wallets.If they touch that wallet and give to the alumni center I guess they think something terrible might happen.Over 400 members on this board and only about 5 responded on the "alumni center'' thread that they had purchased a paver or a plack.Shameful.Baised on this data I propose that we come up with ideas to "help" these tight wad "fans" come up with just the minium 149 dollars to purchase a paver.My suggestion is to stop eating out at those costly restaurants for a month.Just eat shit and die.Just a bunch of talkers and on ACTION! [/b]
How do you know that they haven't donated to the alumni center or association but chose not to buy a brick? Those people gave out of their pocket happily even thought they got nothing in return but a "thank you" letter. Since they didn't buy a brick, they would not have responded to your request. Yet, they gave money. Be careful calling people out when you don't know if they have or have not donated.

I am a fiscally responsible person that KNOWS what MY budget will allow. I give $400/year to the 49’er Club. I buy 2 season tix in Priority 1. I give $100 to the Annual Fund. That’s looks good to me. If I had known I was going to be ripped another a-hole here for not buying a paver, etc. I would have adjusted my budgeted money for NINER/school related items to include it. Sorry. (I did buy a brick in front of Barnhardt.) Maybe I can skip lunch for a while to get up some paver cash…
Then I can start saving for the millions the f-ball team will need…

This thread was ment more in jest that I may have let on. My fault. But seriously this alumni center is a milestone. Milestones are not an everyday happening and shopuld be treated as such. If you give to any university cause you should proudly proclaim that fact. These things can be contagious.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Apr 29 2005, 09:37 AM [b] Increased my donation to the 49er Club. Donated to the basketball initiative (how many people will admit to that?) Increased my donation to the University's Annual Fund. [/b]
I did the same, even the bball intitiative. :D I figure my donation paid for a "weekend getaway to Charlotte" for Courtney Williams (indirectly of course). :thumbsup:

When I was in school, I was not nearly as active with athletics or the University as I am now. I went to soccer, basketball games and played intramurals and that was about it. And went I got out of school, I bought season tickets because of the $49 first year deal. Gradually, I’ve worked up to 2 season tics, 49er club donation, annual fund, and recently Alumni House contribution. I think that’s what we would hope all alums would do. Of course, most here are already contributing and the are biggest supporters we have.

Many alums have mortgages & families.
Many make donations to churches & relief organizations to feed the poor, fight Aids in Africa, support the persecuted church, give to pro-life causes; you know real charities. I like the U. and all, but is it as important as a starving or sick child?

My favorite bands are Sonic Youth, Digger, Jawbreaker and Skiploader.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Apr 29 2005, 12:58 PM [b] Many alums have mortgages & families. Many make donations to churches & relief organizations to feed the poor, fight Aids in Africa, support the persecuted church, give to pro-life causes; you know real charities. I like the U. and all, but is it as important as a starving or sick child? [/b]
Reality Check: It's not. My donations to my church are about double what they are to my former school. Of all charitable donations I make, my church gets about 60% or more, the university gets about 30% or more, and all the rest see about 10% or less.

Can I donate to my church and still view the Golddusters thread??

i donate to the CLT for president campaign

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Apr 29 2005, 01:57 PM [b] Can I donate to my church and still view the Golddusters thread?? [/b]
I haven't been arrested for it yet...

My name is on several bricks outside of the SAC and I’ve never set foot in the place. I give a little every year when they call me for money.

I didn’t know that they were selling bricks again for the Alumni Center, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I will buy some now that I know.

It’s hard to invest in something 800 miles away and 16 years in my past that I may never see or use when there are pressing needs right here in my hometown, like 26 million dollars in high school and middle school improvements (plus interest) that has to be paid for by only 3,500 households over the next 20 years. Do the math. Connecticut is in dire need of property tax reform. My property taxes are $4,600 a year for a lousy 3 bedroom condo and will go over $5,000 to pay for the schools. That’s on top of over $6,700 a year in condo fees and special assessments for paving, roofing, siding and sewer treatment plant expansion.

My Dad gripes about a few thousand dollars in taxes on his four bedroom house on a half-acre in Charlotte. If I was in his shoes, I’d have nearly $10,000 more in discretionary income to lay down on such luxuries as an Alumni Center. But I digress.

If I lived in Charlotte, I’d be a member of the 49er club, a basketball season ticket holder, attend baseball games, and probably try to continue my education or teach if my job allowed, but that’s not the case right now.

Hopefully we all do what we can, when we can. Don’t paint us all with the broad brush of tightwad unless you’ve walked in our shoes.

You need to come to Charlotte and visit your papa. Then go visit those bricks during a ballgame. :smiley:

Well, at least the Alumni Center is being discussed.

Seriously, we all have charitable causes that we support. And we will all not be interested in the same causes. Giving to the University is no different. Do I want alums to donate to the Alumni Center? Absolutely I do. If someone chooses to support the University in another way, does that bother me? No. Everyone that knows me knows that I give 49er athletics as much support as I can. I don’t miss home games and if there were football tickets to buy, I would be the first person in line. I also support other causes on campus, and yes that includes the Alumni Center. Obviously, that’s an easy choice for me since I work in Alumni Affairs.

The bottom line is this: state appropriations and student fees have and will continue to make UNC Charlotte a good university. What has allowed our alma mater to be more than a good university are donations, large and small in size, by charitable individuals who have a passion for the institution. What will make UNC Charlotte a great university for generations to come is the support of its alumni. There are now more than 70,000 alumni of UNC Charlotte. And one thing is for sure, there is no shortage of causes on campus worthy of your support. The Athletic Foundation, the Alumni Center, undergraduate scholarships, faculty development, the Atkins Library, the Center for Leadership Development, and the list goes on and on. So in summary, if you want to help the University, pick a cause or causes that appeal to you and support them. Not everyone will pick the same ones, but it will take all of us to build the university that we all want.

I’m off of my soap box now. Have a great weekend everyone.

Well said Nick. :thumbsup:

Hey Mein Shaft, isn’t NJ or LI cheaper? Get out of CT while you can.

Well written 49erAlumnus.

I think that is the general point that lake49er was making but didn’t come across that way to some. We, as alumni, should give back to UNCC so others behind us can benefit. And NO, it doesn’t have to be for the Alumni House, but this a building that each of us can personally use in the future, for meetings, receptions, etc. The point is, just buying tickets to a game is not support, it’s in what you give back. It’s not always money, it may be time or something else donated to the University, such as talking to potential UNCC students in your city.

I bleed green and will help whenever and wherever I can when it comes to UNC Charlotte. If contacted, I rarely refuse them. It’s not been in $$$ always either. Quite honestly, UNCC is getting a higher percentage of green from me than they should but in my eyes, I’m making a small difference.

I sat in an office with Dave Taylor and Lee Rose way back in 1976 and they both stressed to me about how being at UNCC then would be like being on the ground floor of something big. They were correct, but the skyscraper is only beginning to take shape. It is still a young institution. With your help, we can all see what our dreams of our alma mater can be. Don’t sit back and do nothing!