laid off :/

just found out today that with the current round of cutbacks, that my position is being eliminated. while i didn’t work for the char observer, i worked for the N&O, which are both under the mcclatchy umbrella.

worked in IT support here for 4 years, then was promoted to the support manager’s role 1.5 years ago. With the shrinkage in staff to support, and support staff, guess they felt the didn’t need a manager specifically over this group.

if you know of anyone in the raleigh or charlotte area that I might benefit talking to about looking for a new job… I’m all ears. :confused:

fun times. those 2 FNSL’s are going to have to be put on hold until I get a new job. damn. :frowning:

Wow dude, really sorry to hear that!!

I’ve been there man and I feel your pain. It’s nasty out there, but try and stay optimistic and keep your head up.

Truely sorry to hear the news. I read an article about how people will get down on themselves during this time, just know its a reflection on the economy and not necessarily your quality of work and you as a person. I know, saying what everyone knows… but hope you bounce back fast. I will keep you and ur employment in prayer.

just found out today that with the current round of cutbacks, that my position is being eliminated. while i didn't work for the char observer, i worked for the N&O, which are both under the mcclatchy umbrella.

worked in IT support here for 4 years, then was promoted to the support manager’s role 1.5 years ago. With the shrinkage in staff to support, and support staff, guess they felt the didn’t need a manager specifically over this group.

if you know of anyone in the raleigh or charlotte area that I might benefit talking to about looking for a new job… I’m all ears. :confused:

fun times. those 2 FNSL’s are going to have to be put on hold until I get a new job. damn. :frowning:

Sorry to hear that anborn. I know you are a faithful viewer of the 49ers Insider show. PM me your address and t-shirt size. Perhaps a 49ers Insider t-shirt will cheer you up.

Im in the same boat my friend. It is tough out there, but you will be surprised at the things you are able to do that you werent able to while you were working. And like others have said, stay positive, it’s a sign of the economy not you, and things will turn around. Take this time to train more, or volunteer, or just spend more time with your family.

Oh and the 49er Insider shirt did cheer me up, so take Insider up on that! lol

Good luck from your fellow Unemployed!

There are definitely tough times, but let me be the first to say that you will persevere and get through it. I have been unemployed for over 4 months now (architecture). I am doing fine, and after the initial shock wears off things turn out okay. It really is amazing how much money you can really need to survive…and even more amazing how much money we waste. I am living off 30% what I was when I was working, but I am far from doing without. Things will turn around, and the good news is…there are people hiring out there. I have my second interview in a week today! Good luck to you, and I recommend you take this time to enjoy the outdoors, family, or simply stay busy like other people have mentioned. Be glad its almost spring and warmer weather is near…unmployment through the winter and being stuck inside gets really depressing.

I’ve been unemployed since graduation.

I am in the best shape since forever, there’s lots of time to exercise.

I have a second interview tomorrow, so there is hope yet.

Feel for ya. Been unemployed since the being of the year. Had a second interview the other day but am now in the waiting process again.

One way to look at this is that I will get my fill of March Madness

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;392669]

One way to look at this is that I will get my fill of March Madness[/QUOTE]

AMEN!

i am so sorry to hear that. i live in the raleigh area and will certainly keep an ear to the ground. keep your chin up.

I completely understand, I’ve had 2 friends laid off already and my parents are jobless too. i’ll search my company’s database and see if anything turns up.

:thumbsup: to NinerInsider. the possibility of the tshirt is good stuff.

appreciate all the words and encouragement. between this response and those of fellow coworkers… it’s helped.

time to brush up the resume, and hit the ground running.

I’m sorry to hear about that man, keep your head up my girlfriends dad was unemployed for about a year a couple years back and he has a great job now. This will only open up more opportunities for you…The way the economy is right now worries me because I graduate this summer and I’m worried I’m not going to be able to find me a job either.

Keep your head up man. I was out of a job for two months, but was able to land one and just started this week. Atleast you don’t have a kid. I’m sure something will come up, and with experience, you can beat out most for openings.

yeah Anborn, I know I rip on the Observer but I hate it for ya. I cover the SE for my company and we are off 60-70% in sales from last year! Its insane.

So your in IT eh? What exactly do ya know about IT?

I’m looking to start a business in IT… mostly in systems and system integration based on open source. I don’t have a full time job for ya but if you are up to joining the team I’d certainly be glad to have another niner :slight_smile: I am in Southern California but in the IT business distance doesn’t mean much… A good friend of mine who wants to join me is also in Charlotte and graduated from Charlotte last May with a Masters in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. Myself I graduated in '04 in marketing and have been on the west coast since.

The economy is rough but in the world of IT there is a great demand for cost cutting yet effective solutions and the world of open source has caught up to proprietary software. There is a huge opportunity in OS services and integration right now! And as the economy grows and comes alive once again there will be huge gaps in the marketplace providing further opportunity. I have been working with OS with my company for 2 years now. My boss thought he would short cut my job a few months ago and sought our a quote from an IT company in Irvine to implement the same system that I have been working on by myself (which has been very challenging and taken a lot of dedication and learning on my part). He got back a quote for 20k for basic implementation (which I had already done) and then $285/hour for any further integration thereafter… plus $185 a month for maintaining systems and upgrades.

Anyways… I feel your pain… work is going well for me but the IRS is trying to levy my wages saying that I failed to report 15k in income last year which is total bs… I didn’t fill out the form to their liking so they are trying to take me for twice as much on an investment income. So my goal is to start a company doing what is going well for me and what is doing well in this economy and to get the IRS out of my ass and shelter my money for the rest of my life from them. :slight_smile:

Hit me up if your interested…

Bryan

I'm sorry to hear about that man, keep your head up my girlfriends dad was unemployed for about a year a couple years back and he has a great job now. This will only open up more opportunities for you......The way the economy is right now worries me because [I]I graduate this summer and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to find me a job either[/I].

same thing happened when I finished undergrad in 2001. was having trouble finding a job, and then sept.11 happened, and there was nothing. went back to school and got a graduate degree. best investment you can make in a down economy is an investment in yourself. that way you’re better tooled to get a job when they open up. :twocents:

Sorry to hear that anborn. I know you are a faithful viewer of the 49ers Insider show. PM me your address and t-shirt size. Perhaps a 49ers Insider t-shirt will cheer you up.

This guy is tops. Opened up the mail today and there was a package with an Insder shirt. I’m wearing it now! Thanks man. Seriously made my day.