Laptop Question

[QUOTE=jcl49er;140054]NA, ditch that case and splurge on a Thermaltake VA8000BWS (Armor Series). :drool::drool::drool:[/QUOTE]

Dude, that thing is FUGLY. Windowed cases suck, IMO. Neon/bright blue lights on cases suck even more.

Gimme a SFF black case with a polished bezel, with a minimal amount of buttons, connectors, lights, exposed bays, etc. Design Minimalism FTW.

LOL…I think it’s kind of snazzy but it’s far more gaudy that what I care for with my own personal computer. I don’t even have a window case which became the norm for gamers awhile back. Simple beige with blue trim. Other than the Aerogate, the only “flashy” thing on my tower is a side fan that has a LED. Some of those Alienware cases are sweet though.

Been meaning to go to liquid-cooled but I just don’t have the interest in tricking out computers like I used to. Guess as I’ve gotten older, I’m more concerned about reliability and horsepower than the “coat of paint” on it.

I think we have a few winners. :tongue:

I don’t really consider myself to be a computer nerd (denial perhaps) but I answered “yes” to far too many of those statements/questions. :tongue:

:biggrin: I’m actually feeling less and less like a nerd by reading this thread. Thanks for the technobabble! Made my day.

You guys might enjoy this: I got robbed by an apparant crackhead in 2002. When I came home, my old computer was ripped to pieces. I called the police. This is what the crackhead stole: my CPU chip, a pair of headphones, a frisbee (yes, a frisbee) and a Dean guitar.

He left behind my DVD player, Fender guitar, checkbook, etc… I told the police I didn’t know if I’d been robbed or if someone was playing a prank on me.

I got my guitar back. Found it at the local pawn shop. They made a photocopy of the driver’s license of the guy who sold it, and he looked like a real winner.

The CPU the crackhead carefully removed? A valuable 400mhz processor. I tried several computer stores and they all laughed at me. The last place I tried, they looked at my computer and said “Looks like this guy knew what he was doing!” I’m like, “No…if he knew what he was doing, he never would have monkeyed around unscrewing everything. He would have unplugged it and ran.”

So that’s when I went about building my own computer. jcl49er’s right - do it once and its actually pretty easy. I learned that stock parts in the computers you buy in the store are usually garbage and you save a lot of money not buying the preinstalled software that you’ll never use. Plus, who needs all the extra keyboards and everything?

I’ll sum it up the way another poster would:

“Cocaine’s a hell of a drug”