Laptops

can some of you computer guys help me out. i am looking for a decent laptop and don’t want to spend a ton of $. don’t really need high performance. dell has the vostro 1500 on sale for $549, looks like a good deal. can somebody give me some feed back.

www.dell.com

[QUOTE=pickman;304730]can some of you computer guys help me out. i am looking for a decent laptop and don’t want to spend a ton of $. don’t really need high performance. dell has the vostro 1500 on sale for $549, looks like a good deal. can somebody give me some feed back.

www.dell.com[/QUOTE]

I have the Vostro 1500 at work. It is great. We actually have two here. I have had mine for about 6 months. I love it! Of course we upgraded memory and HD, but I use it for serious multi-tasking, various CAD programs and engr modelling tools. It is stout.

Acers are good relatively cheap computers…but im no genius in this at any means! haha

i’ll say this you get what you pay for. when it comes to computers.

what will you be using it for?

If you’re looking for cheap and can diagnose problems yourself, Compaq sales one of their AMD dual core laptops for about $450 a few days each month. Techbargains should let you know when it goes on sale.

Word processing and internet browsing, these are perfectly suitable.

would use it mostly for word processing, internet, organize and store photos, etc. nothing hi-tech.

[QUOTE=pickman;304736]would use it mostly for word processing, internet, organize and store photos, etc. nothing hi-tech.[/QUOTE]

As for the OS and software… Vista is great I think. The new versions of Office take too much getting used to.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;304739]As for the OS and software… Vista is great I think. The new versions of Office take too much getting used to.[/QUOTE]

you like vista??? its an incredible memory hog and overall pain in the butt.

[QUOTE=pickman;304736]would use it mostly for word processing, internet, organize and store photos, etc. nothing hi-tech.[/QUOTE]

go for the vostro, I put a lot of my customers on them and they work fine. I recommend XP over vista so you don’t have to upgrade the memory. Other than that it should suit you fine.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;304744]you like vista??? its an incredible memory hog and overall pain in the butt.[/QUOTE]

I maxed out the memory on the upgrade so I don’t see anything. I really have no problem with Vista, and I use the crap out of the voice recognition software. Makes writing contracts so much easier. I didn’t have any problems with XP. But I don’t mind Vista.

Dependability is my highest priority. It is my experience that Dell, HP, and Compaq all stink as far as dependability is concerned. Gateway used to stink too but they may have improved. I don’t see them as much anymore so I don’t know.

I think Sony makes a great computer and one that is dependable as hell and won’t quit on your early but they can be pricey. Toshibas aren’t too bad either.

price ok?

[QUOTE=Cha_49;304732]Acers are good relatively cheap computers…but im no genius in this at any means! haha[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t touch an acer laptop with a 10’ pole, unless you want a disposable laptop.

No offense, but I constantly read complaints about them.

Most latops are made by one of two Taiwanese companies (I think Clevo is one of them), and then just slapped with whatever brand name (e.g. Dell). Acer does actually make their own, I believe. And they cut corners.

Dell makes the best laptops for the money. My brother and I both have them… pretty good computers. My desktop is actually a Dell too because I got a good deal on it.

Search the internet and slickdeals.net and random sites for Dell coupons, you can find some REALLY good deals sometimes

My advice, don’t buy a laptop unless you absolutely NEED a mobile computer. You get more for your money with a desktop and I have had nothing but dell laptops, overheat, freeze up, etc…understand they are good but I have obviously developed a distaste for laptops, especially when it froze up during a paper and forgot all saved info for the past month.

Dell makes the best laptops for the money. My brother and I both have them... pretty good computers. My desktop is actually a Dell too because I got a good deal on it.

Search the internet and slickdeals.net and random sites for Dell coupons, you can find some REALLY good deals sometimes

Yea, Dell is def the best of the ones that I personally tend to avoid. The price is good but I’ve heard and seen lots of bad things so it makes me nervous. But if you got one at a good price and had no problems then that is great. These computer companies are changing all the time.

I only know one person personally who has actually gotten a refurbished computer from Dell’s website, but she was happy. It seems worth the risk. They guarantee the stuff as if it were new. Some of them ARE new but with a scratch to the surface or something.
Who wouldn’t want to save $75 or whatever in exchange for a scratch?

[URL=http://www.notebookreview.com/]http://www.notebookreview.com/[/URL]

I bought my wife a Toshiba Sattelite series laptop and it’s been great.

I’ve had the same Toshiba for nearly 2 years. Do a lot with Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash and the standard Office suite.

Its work fine. No issues.