Laptops

Yea, Dell is def the best of the ones that I personally tend to avoid. The price is good but I've heard and seen lots of bad things so it makes me nervous. But if you got one at a good price and had no problems then that is great. These computer companies are changing all the time.

I’ve had several Dell laptops for years and years, and they have been awesome. Zero problems. Zero. The new Dell XPS laptops are really slim, good looking, and you can get em for 12 months with ZERO interest. I’d recommend it any day of the week.

[QUOTE=NormanNiner;304764]I bought my wife a Toshiba Sattelite series laptop and it’s been great.[/QUOTE]
I got a new Toshiba Satellite in December and love it. I’m not sold on Vista yet but it’s getting better for me.

[B]Laptop Manufacturers (Who really makes Laptops?)[/B]

Basically none of the “Name Brand” manufacture their own laptops. The few notable exceptions are Sony, Acer and Apple. Yet, they even do not manufacture all of their own laptops. All of the so called manufacturers buy their laptops from what is called an Original Design Manufacturer (ODM).

[B]ODM - Original Design Manufacturers[/B]

ODMs are the true manufacturers who actually design, cast, and assemble the main unit which includes the motherboard, outside casing, and display. A few examples of ODMs are Quanta, Compal, Clevo, Mitac, Asus, Acer, Arima, Uniwill (now ECS/Uniwill) – perhaps you have never heard of these companies before. But you have definitely seen their systems under other well known brand names. ODMs are usually located somewhere in Asia, and may have distribution centers in the US. ODMs distribute their product to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Each ODM sells its computers to many different OEMs.

[B]OEM’s - Original Equipment Manufacturers[/B]

OEMs add the Memory, Processor, Hard Drive, Optical Drives and software to the systems. The OEMs perform final assembly and stick their label (Brand) to it, and call themselves manufacturers. Their products are then sold directly to dealers/resellers or directly to the public (i.e. DELL). However most companies such as Dell and HP etc. have their laptops assembled in Asia. Once these companies add in these components, they have a complete laptop. They then put their label on it and market it.

For example:

Clevo makes the Sager NP9262, the Alienware Area 51, the Voodoo Envy, the Hypersonic Aero …they are all the same computer.

An ODM named Compal makes some of the the DELL, Hewlett Packard and Compa

Quanta makes many of the Dell Latitude, Lenovo (IBM), and Sony Vaio laptops.

Clevo is usually first and on the cutting edge when it comes to gaming laptops.

FWIW, I’m pretty sure that Clevo is the uber gaming laptop king and Compal makes most of the mid range machines for everyone. Those are the two biggest.

Yep, just confirmed - Compal makes almost all of the Toshiba machines and most of the Dell ones.

You guys are lucky. I’ve had two Toshiba’s and I’ll never buy another (didn’t buy the second one, actually). Both of them have eventually gotten to the point where the power cord loses contact within the laptop, and won’t charge. Different models, same exact problem.

From Techbargains.com posted today…

“$130 off. [URL=http://www.techbargains.com/u.cfm?afsrc=1&w=1&id=115192&u=2]Vostro 1000[/URL] Entry level 6.26lb plastic chassis Notebook AMD X2 Dual Core TK-57 1.9Ghz, 15.4in Screen, 1GB/120GB, DVD Writer, 802.11g wireless, ATI Graphics, 1yr warranty, XP Home or Vista Home Basic $449 shipped free.”

If all you’re doing is that what you mentioned, this is more than you will ever need. And you can upgrade memory and the hard drive at a later date. Just pick XP home.

[QUOTE=pickman;304736]would use it mostly for word processing, internet, organize and store photos, etc. nothing hi-tech.[/QUOTE]

I dont know if you are looking for portability or not, but I just bought an Asus EeePC. It is very portable, cheap and easy to use. It is Linux based and I paid 300 bucks for it. Check it out at newegg.com

I dont know if you are looking for portability or not, but I just bought an Asus EeePC. It is very portable, cheap and easy to use. It is Linux based and I paid 300 bucks for it. Check it out at newegg.com

Photo storage is not a strength of the PC. I think it has a limited amount of flash memory?