Lavar Batts - 2017 PG - transfer from NCSU + UNCA

class of 2017 point guard. he has an offer from us and was at midnight madness. he looks like he could be one of the top players in the country so im glad we are on him early. plays high school ball at robinson high school in concord. 6’1" 165lbs. future 150 has him ranked as the 29th. ranked player in his class and a four star.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:1, topic:29091”]class of 2017 point guard. he has an offer from us and was at midnight madness. he looks like he could be one of the top players in the country so im glad we are on him early. plays high school ball at robinson high school in concord. 6’1" 165lbs. future 150 has him ranked as the 29th. ranked player in his class and a four star.[/quote] Just the type of player we recruit for 3-4 years and some ACC school recruits for 6 months or less and he opts for them.

this ???

this ???[/quote]

so let’s back off, whydon’twe?

ACC schools are already recruiting him.

Which ones?

well let’s pack it in for sure! :-[

well let’s pack it in for sure! :-[[/quote]Part of it is being realistic, there are some ACC schools we can potentially recruit against and some we can’t.

but we can’t recruit against ANY of them if we quit!!!

essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!
i simply don’t understand “fans” who are ready to give up because we’re not “Big Time”! so let’s believe in ourselves, and GET Big Time.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!
i simply don’t understand “fans” who are ready to give up because we’re not “Big Time”! so let’s believe in ourselves, and GET Big Time. [/quote]

^^^^ Agree. The worst thing we can do is think we’re not worthy.

[quote=“49r9r, post:11, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!
i simply don’t understand “fans” who are ready to give up because we’re not “Big Time”! so let’s believe in ourselves, and GET Big Time. [/quote]

^^^^ Agree. The worst thing we can do is think we’re not worthy.[/quote]

and even worse…trash-talk ourselves!
oh-yes-we-have!

[font=Arial] if going to Northside Christian Academy and playing for former 49ers great Coach Byron Dinkins played a role in him coming to Charlotte:[/font][font=Arial] “Charlotte was recruiting me since I was a freshman. The fact that I have a great relationship with the coaches here, I like the players and I have a lot of people that are here that I know, I liked it and it was a great situation for me”[/font]

Great quote regarding a great attitude for some players who want to stay close to home/family/friends. Once we pick up on that with local kids we need to intensify showing our desire to have them come here. Some kids want to get away from the home area, and again if that’s clear, let 'em go.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:9, topic:29091”]but we can’t recruit against ANY of them if we quit!!![/quote] Aw right now. As Popeye said "That’s all I’s can stand. I can’t stand no more"
Nobody said we should quit recruiting the guy, just that it’s a fact that we’ve recruited people early before and lost them late to ACC schools.
You can’t win if you don’t play, but that doesn’t change the fact that you lost before.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

This!

GO AFTER HIM!!!

It’s a risky gamble…that’s why.

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough.

When you gamble and lose out on the .01% chance kid…you end up having to fill roster spots with tier 4 and 5 guys, projects and transfers (which we have experienced and KNOW doesn’t work).

So…if you play it smart…you cut bait when it is obvious the P5 schools are coming in so you can at least salvage a tier 2 or 3 kid as the backup plan. You may get this kid…but the percentages are low, the history doesn’t support it…and then you are left with leftovers and trash when/if you don’t get him.

So, you have to play the odds in your favor.

It’s all about the most realistic and probable return on investment of our recruiting time.

I hate it and it sucks. But it really is our reality.

I understand and agree with you in principle. However any recent challenges we’ve experienced would be hard to attribute to missing on recruits or recruiting lacking. So I trust in our current approach in regards to recruiting at least.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough. [/quote]
Isn’t this what our previous coach did?
I say always go after a top kid, but the moment that kid indicates he isn’t seriously interested, move on.

[quote=“VA49er, post:19, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough. [/quote]
Isn’t this what our previous coach did?
I say always go after a top kid, but the moment that kid indicates he isn’t seriously interested, move on.[/quote]

If you never recruit them you never land them, but at the same time you have to be serious with your chances of getting the kid and plan accordingly.