Lavar Batts - 2017 PG - transfer from NCSU + UNCA

[quote=“VA49er, post:19, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!
i simply don’t understand “fans” who are ready to give up because we’re not “Big Time”! so let’s believe in ourselves, and GET Big Time. [/quote]

It’s a risky gamble…that’s why.

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough. [/quote]
Isn’t this what our previous coach did?
I say always go after a top kid, but the moment that kid indicates he isn’t seriously interested, move on.[/quote]

i agree we should take “No” for an answer, but we gotta make the first coupla moves anyway!

[quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!
i simply don’t understand “fans” who are ready to give up because we’re not “Big Time”! so let’s believe in ourselves, and GET Big Time. [/quote]

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough.

When you gamble and lose out on the .01% chance kid…you end up having to fill roster spots with tier 4 and 5 guys, projects and transfers (which we have experienced and KNOW doesn’t work).

So…if you play it smart…you cut bait when it is obvious the P5 schools are coming in so you can at least salvage a tier 2 or 3 kid as the backup plan. You may get this kid…but the percentages are low, the history doesn’t support it…and then you are left with leftovers and trash when/if you don’t get him.

So, you have to play the odds in your favor.

It’s all about the most realistic and probable return on investment of our recruiting time.

I hate it and it sucks. But it really is our reality.[/quote]
Exaggerate much? Also, you do realize that schools are always recruting multiple players at the same time, right? Its not like any coach is putting all his eggs in one basket (one kid) and not still recruiting others.

[quote=“VA49er, post:19, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough. [/quote]
I say always go after a top kid, but the moment that kid indicates he isn’t seriously interested, move on.[/quote]

Thank you. This is why it isn’t risky. We’re regularly signing the guys we target in the early period. Getting them in the door isn’t the problem.

[quote=“919R, post:22, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If we spend all of our time and resources recruiting this kid that history tells us 99.9% of the time will choose the P5 school, we lose out on the tier 2 or tier 3 kid we COULD have had, had we diverted the attention to them early enough.

When you gamble and lose out on the .01% chance kid…you end up having to fill roster spots with tier 4 and 5 guys, projects and transfers (which we have experienced and KNOW doesn’t work).

So…if you play it smart…you cut bait when it is obvious the P5 schools are coming in so you can at least salvage a tier 2 or 3 kid as the backup plan. You may get this kid…but the percentages are low, the history doesn’t support it…and then you are left with leftovers and trash when/if you don’t get him.

So, you have to play the odds in your favor.

It’s all about the most realistic and probable return on investment of our recruiting time.

I hate it and it sucks. But it really is our reality.[/quote]
Exaggerate much? Also, you do realize that schools are always recruting multiple players at the same time, right? Its not like any coach is putting all his eggs in one basket (one kid) and not still recruiting others.[/quote]

Not when trying to recruit the higher profile kids to a non-P5 school. The only way for us to get the higher profile kids away from the P5 schools is to spend 3x the time on them than you normally would. More visits to more games…and yes, that takes time away from when you could have been watching other kids.

The better players would need more touches (a lot more to impress them enough to consider us)…especially from a program like ours and it definitely takes away from other recruiting trips.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:20, topic:29091”][quote=“VA49er, post:19, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If you never recruit them you never land them, but at the same time you have to be serious with your chances of getting the kid and plan accordingly.[/quote]
Exactly, which is why I mentioned we should always express interest, but know when we have no chance and move on.

[quote=“VA49er, post:25, topic:29091”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:20, topic:29091”][quote=“VA49er, post:19, topic:29091”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:29091”][quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29091”]essentially local kid. in early. already been on campus. hasn’t said “no”. might want some program we have in spades. might like some coach personally. might identify with the belk tower. who knows?
GO AFTER HIM!!!

If you never recruit them you never land them, but at the same time you have to be serious with your chances of getting the kid and plan accordingly.[/quote]
Exactly, which is why I mentioned we should always express interest, but know when we have no chance and move on.[/quote]

Agree 100%

We have a list of kids that we didn’t recruit that we may have been able to land, but then we have a list of players that we did recruit and invested a ton of time in who walked away - Jason Parker anyone?

Just because we may not land him now doesn’t mean we won’t be an option for him down the road. Never hurts to introduce the program to anyone even if they don’t come here.

If he wasn’t local, I might be more inclined to side with the “show interest but do so cautiously” folks.

The fact that he is local changes everything for me, though. Go after him and go after him hard.

The best thing that we can do for any and all sports is lay claim to our city. Create the perception and expectation that local kids go to play for the Green and White.

If UNC Chapel Hill gets the death penalty then some of those in state stars will be up for grabs. I don’t wish bad on any school unless they deserve it and from what I read they do deserve to be shut down.

Will NEVER happen.

Will NEVER happen.[/quote]

I agree death penalty won’t happen, but some type of multi year NCAA competition ban certainly could.

Will NEVER happen.[/quote]

I agree death penalty won’t happen, but some type of multi year NCAA competition ban certainly could.[/quote]

Would be sweet justice. :stuck_out_tongue: :-*

[quote=“greenman, post:29, topic:29091”]If UNC Chapel Hill gets the death penalty then some of those in state stars will be up for grabs. I don’t wish bad on any school unless they deserve it and from what I read they do deserve to be shut down.[/quote]If that were to ever happen, doesn’t mean that helps our chances in landing elite talent, those kids would continue going to top 15 programs.

Good point.

We are not just recruiting the player, we are also recruiting the coach. We want to handle the Batts kid well because we want his help with the next kid.

Price and crew have offered Lavar.

We’ll be at JM Robinson tomorrow, has to be to check out Batts, now a 4star recruit at 247.

State checked in on him Wednesday.

was here for the presby game.

Georgia offered him today.