Lavar Batts - 2017 PG - transfer from NCSU + UNCA

Depaul offers.

Update from Rivals: https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/batts-list-of-option-continues-to-grow-with-acc-addition

Charlotte not listed.

assuming we are not in contention, who do you think our top target is now?

Pat Lawless @PatLawless_
Lavar Batts, a '17 guard from Team CP3 (NC), has cut his list down to Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida St, Nebraska, Georgia, Butler & VCU.

Not really surprised to see us not listed.

If I still taught at Robinson, we’d have this kid for sure.

although i would have liked to get this guy, i cant imagine our depth at point guard made this an easy sell. we have davis, jackson, and murphy. i doubt this kid wants to come to college and play on the wing. we need a wing and a big more than we need batts.

Verbals to VCU.

I hear VCU has a good coach, who is worth a lot of money…

I hear VCU has a good coach, who is worth a lot of money…[/quote]
Who did you hear that from–Will Wade?

I hear VCU has a good coach, who is worth a lot of money…[/quote]
Who did you hear that from–Will Wade?[/quote]

Yup

clt says will wade is the riley of coaches.

[quote=“cltniners, post:71, topic:29091”]clt says will wade is the riley of coaches.[/quote] 4ever niner counters that Pat is the Riley of coaches.

After what happened to the last recruiting class of Shaka Smart as VCU coach, would expect much of the same for that of Wade. Ouch!

After what happened to the last recruiting class of Shaka Smart as VCU coach, would expect much of the same for that of Wade. Ouch![/quote]

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much. I know kids typically make their minds up immediately if they are leaving (pretty much impossible to convince them to stay committed), but my understanding is that WW didn’t have the same connection with a lot of the kids that his predecessor did - they were coming to play for the program more than the coach. Given the incredibly quick hire of Rhoades, they may do better than most at keeping the class together (of course, who knows?).

After what happened to the last recruiting class of Shaka Smart as VCU coach, would expect much of the same for that of Wade. Ouch![/quote]

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much. I know kids typically make their minds up immediately if they are leaving (pretty much impossible to convince them to stay committed), but my understanding is that WW didn’t have the same connection with a lot of the kids that his predecessor did - they were coming to play for the program more than the coach. Given the incredibly quick hire of Rhoades, they may do better than most at keeping the class together (of course, who knows?).[/quote]

That…and as highly rated as he is, he’d have his pick of destinations from ANY acc team.

Even if he leaves…we have less than zero percent chance.

I don’t have any expectation that Batts will consider us if he goes elsewhere. Just speculating that VCU’s current 2017 class of four that includes two ESPN 100 recruits - Batts being one - will disintergrate like the one that had signed on with Smart in 2015.

clt says the uh huh guy is a ball hawk

I’d happily take Batts. He was down to Clemson (Brownell was pretty damn close to being fired) and VCU (Waids left).

I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much. I know kids typically make their minds up immediately if they are leaving (pretty much impossible to convince them to stay committed), but my understanding is that WW didn’t have the same connection with a lot of the kids that his predecessor did - they were coming to play for the program more than the coach. Given the incredibly quick hire of Rhoades, they may do better than most at keeping the class together (of course, who knows?).[/quote]

That…and as highly rated as he is, he’d have his pick of destinations from ANY acc team.

Even if he leaves…we have less than zero percent chance.[/quote]

That’s not possible.

That 2015 class included 6-7 SF Tevin Mack (ESPN 100 #48), 6-7 PF Jordan Murphy, and 6-4 SG Kenny Williams (ESPN 100 #84). When Smart left VCU and all three were granted their releases, only Mack followed Smart to Austin. That would prove to be a big headache!

In looking over this season’s stats, etc., Mack led the Longhorns in scoring with 14.8 ppg, but two suspensions shortened his year to 15 games and eventually Smart granted his release to supposedly transfer closer to his home of Columbia, SC.

Murphy landed at Minnesota, where he was a member of 2016 Big Ten all freshman team. He followed that up by being named 2017 Big Ten all conference while averaging 11.3 ppg and 8.8 rpg. Started all 34 games for Gophers this season.

Williams ended up in Chapel Hil, where he put up modest numbers this season of 6.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, and 2.2 ago. Has started 22 of 26 games played this year.