Law School

Time for us to get the ball rolling NOW on a law school.

Many of you guys saw in the news that Charlotte School of Law lost federal funding. Please respect that most members of this board probably know somebody with a degree from there, or may even have a degree from there. This post is not to kick a man when he’s down, but there has never been a more opportune moment for UNC Charlotte to start such a program. If this goes through, this would be one of the larger metros in the USA without a Law School.

How can we help to get this done? I know nothing about a law school.

clt says step one is to check with UNC CHeat to see if it is ok.

CHP will probably help them open a new campus in Charlotte for the UNC-Cheat School of Law.

This tweet reminded me that the uni has a recent partnership with the Charlotte School of Law. I wonder what that means for us? Does make me wonder how much vetting we did if the law school gets put on a two year probabtion by the ABA a year after we partner with them.

http://mba.uncc.edu/news/unc-charlotte-charlotte-school-law-expand-dual-degree-programs

[quote=“emf, post:4, topic:30702”]This tweet reminded me that the uni has a recent partnership with the Charlotte School of Law. I wonder what that means for us? Does make me wonder how much vetting we did if the law school gets put on a two year probabtion by the ABA a year after we partner with them.

http://mba.uncc.edu/news/unc-charlotte-charlotte-school-law-expand-dual-degree-programs[/quote]

It could make it easier for charlotte to absorb the school.

If the school closes, Charlotte will be the largest metropolitan area in the US without a law school.

The UNC system is not going to be excited about a 3rd state supported law school in NC. The school could be an anchor for the building the U has downtown. The opening of the light rail is great timing.

Perhaps someone should email Phil and ask him if he has plans to start a law school. And when you do, ask him how much longer we are stuck with our AD.

[quote=“frequentvisitor, post:6, topic:30702”]If the school closes, Charlotte will be the largest metropolitan area in the US without a law school.

The UNC system is not going to be excited about a 3rd state supported law school in NC. The school could be an anchor for the building the U has downtown. The opening of the light rail is great timing.[/quote]

Everything in this situation makes too much sense for the University to take this school over, reduce enrollment (more selectivity), and establish another high visibility professional degree program right in the heart of downtown (which is perfect for the students - easy access to courts and clerkships).

Can someone please make this happen? Not doing so is as ridiculous as having a hospital adjacent to campus (basically on the same block of land) and no med school. The only thing stopping this is politics. The Chancellor and city leaders need to band together to push this through for Charlotte.

clt asks who much is the Charlotte school of law? What would we purchase?

Books? Projectors? Pens?

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think this is worth pursuing. The job market for new lawyers is extremely slim, and many of those that do find work out of law school are scraping by just enough to pay their loans. Jobs in decent firms heavily favor grads from established law programs, and it would be difficult to get a successful program off the ground.

Interesting article by NY Times on this topic. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/opinion/too-many-law-students-too-few-legal-jobs.html

Another good one. NC is producing about twice as many law grads as there are new law jobs a year. http://www.aaronkirschenfeld.com/scholarship/law-viz/

We need to go all in on a medical school.

[quote=“MikeNiner11, post:10, topic:30702”]Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think this is worth pursuing. The job market for new lawyers is extremely slim, and many of those that do find work out of law school are scraping by just enough to pay their loans. Jobs in decent firms heavily favor grads from established law programs, and it would be difficult to get a successful program off the ground.

Interesting article by NY Times on this topic. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/opinion/too-many-law-students-too-few-legal-jobs.html

We need to go all in on a medical school.[/quote]

Spot on. Our first question needs to be, should there be any more law schools anywhere right now? I read an article that made the case that there should be less. I think putting more resources into STEM programs or a Med school is the better path. I also think a Vet school would make a lot of sense, although it seems like an odd fit for the State’s only “Urban Research University”. We could buy some farm land in Cabarrus county and it would fill a real need for educating professionals in that field.

[quote=“Nugget, post:11, topic:30702”][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:10, topic:30702”]Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think this is worth pursuing. The job market for new lawyers is extremely slim, and many of those that do find work out of law school are scraping by just enough to pay their loans. Jobs in decent firms heavily favor grads from established law programs, and it would be difficult to get a successful program off the ground.

Spot on. Our first question needs to be, should there be any more law schools anywhere right now? I read an article that made the case that there should be less. I think putting more resources into STEM programs or a Med school is the better path. I also think a Vet school would make a lot of sense, although it seems like an odd fit for the State’s only “Urban Research University”. We could buy some farm land in Cabarrus county and it would fill a real need for educating professionals in that field.[/quote]

Spot on post. Agree with all points here.

[quote=“NewNiner, post:12, topic:30702”][quote=“Nugget, post:11, topic:30702”][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:10, topic:30702”]Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think this is worth pursuing. The job market for new lawyers is extremely slim, and many of those that do find work out of law school are scraping by just enough to pay their loans. Jobs in decent firms heavily favor grads from established law programs, and it would be difficult to get a successful program off the ground.

Spot on. Our first question needs to be, should there be any more law schools anywhere right now? I read an article that made the case that there should be less. I think putting more resources into STEM programs or a Med school is the better path. I also think a Vet school would make a lot of sense, although it seems like an odd fit for the State’s only “Urban Research University”. We could buy some farm land in Cabarrus county and it would fill a real need for educating professionals in that field.[/quote]

Spot on post. Agree with all points here.[/quote]

Spot on.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:13, topic:30702”][quote=“NewNiner, post:12, topic:30702”][quote=“Nugget, post:11, topic:30702”][quote=“MikeNiner11, post:10, topic:30702”]Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think this is worth pursuing. The job market for new lawyers is extremely slim, and many of those that do find work out of law school are scraping by just enough to pay their loans. Jobs in decent firms heavily favor grads from established law programs, and it would be difficult to get a successful program off the ground.

Spot on post. Agree with all points here.[/quote]

Spot on.[/quote]
Spot. On.

We should only make decisions for today.

I don’t think we really NEED a law school, but I selfishly want one just to boost the professional programs offered at the school.

[size=5]¯_(ツ)_/¯[/size]

clt says a law school will be helpful when we are in the sec.

After reading that article I’m sure we are secretly studying a med school now but waiting for the next national crisis to occur so we can scrap the plan. 9/11 stopped our football study and 2008 ended our law school study.