Law School

There will be many after 1/20/17. ::slight_smile:

Although the law school would probably be popular due to the fact that it would be the only public law school outside of the Raleigh area I agree with the others that this is the wrong way for us to go.

We should double and triple down on the STEM programs and continue to pursue a medical school.

[quote=“Gassman, post:22, topic:30702”]Although the law school would probably be popular due to the fact that it would be the only public law school outside of the Raleigh area I agree with the others that this is the wrong way for us to go.

We should double and triple down on the STEM programs and continue to pursue a medical school.[/quote]

I’ve always wondered why we don’t have Chemical Engineering. We should add that.

[quote=“Nugget, post:23, topic:30702”][quote=“Gassman, post:22, topic:30702”]Although the law school would probably be popular due to the fact that it would be the only public law school outside of the Raleigh area I agree with the others that this is the wrong way for us to go.

We should double and triple down on the STEM programs and continue to pursue a medical school.[/quote]

I’ve always wondered why we don’t have Chemical Engineering. We should add that.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be bad.

BTW I heard in NPR the other day that the much vaunted need for STEM graduates is not as high as everyone thinks.

But I still say double down on that cause that’s our niche.

[quote=“Gassman, post:24, topic:30702”][quote=“Nugget, post:23, topic:30702”][quote=“Gassman, post:22, topic:30702”]Although the law school would probably be popular due to the fact that it would be the only public law school outside of the Raleigh area I agree with the others that this is the wrong way for us to go.

I’ve always wondered why we don’t have Chemical Engineering. We should add that.[/quote]

Wouldn’t be bad.

BTW I heard in NPR the other day that the much vaunted need for STEM graduates is not as high as everyone thinks.

But I still say double down on that cause that’s our niche.[/quote]

clt says you must consider all things?

Charlotte School of Law crisis resurrects talks of a law school at UNCC

My fear is that the BOG will decide that the system already has a School of Law in Chapel Hill that could start a branch in Charlotte, and we could partner with them.

My fear is that the BOG will decide that the system already has a School of Law in Chapel Hill that could start a branch in Charlotte, and we could partner with them.[/quote]

Odds must be -300 for that to happen

My fear is that the BOG will decide that the system already has a School of Law in Chapel Hill that could start a branch in Charlotte, and we could partner with them.[/quote]

You think CHP would allow that? Ohhhhh wait…

I’m surprised CHP hasn’t declared our undergrad programs & sports teams as a division of UNC-CH yet.

3. I met yesterday with a group of faculty members to brainstorm opportunities in the area of legal education. With the widely publicized struggles of the Charlotte School of Law, many in our community are looking to UNC Charlotte as a natural solution to provide legal education in our region. We are diligently exploring all of the possibilities and potential challenges, and I'll keep you posted on any developments. Although it is not likely that the market for newly minted lawyers is going to improve any time soon, there may be ample opportunities for us to offer a certificate or master's program​ in legal studies for folks who need legal-related preparation but not the terminal J.D. degree.

[quote=“emf, post:32, topic:30702”]

3. I met yesterday with a group of faculty members to brainstorm opportunities in the area of legal education. With the widely publicized struggles of the Charlotte School of Law, many in our community are looking to UNC Charlotte as a natural solution to provide legal education in our region. We are diligently exploring all of the possibilities and potential challenges, and I’ll keep you posted on any developments. Although it is not likely that the market for newly minted lawyers is going to improve any time soon, there may be ample opportunities for us to offer a certificate or master’s program​ in legal studies for folks who need legal-related preparation but not the terminal J.D. degree.
Same subservient mindset as the health care field is to medical physician training. How large is our metropolitan area again? Unbelievable.

http://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2017-03-27/read-latest-chancellor’s-‘fast-five’[/quote]

Honestly, I wont fault our school for not starting a law school, and especially not for taking over CSOL. He’s right about the market for lawyers being flooded. With that said, I wish the efforts and resources would be devoted to a medical school instead, but it doesnt look like we want to break free being second fiddle on that, either.

clt says we need med school, not law school.

[/quote]

clt speaks American so clt doesn’t understand all of that. Dos means 2 so I guess it translates as " I need to take a number 2"

[/quote]

clt speaks American so clt doesn’t understand all of that. Dos means 2 so I guess it translates as " I need to take a number 2"[/quote]

Buying a failing law school is the equivalent of buying a steaming pile of number 2 so you weren’t far off

[/quote]

Given the oversaturated legal market and the extreme difficulty of getting a law school off of the ground even in good markets, I think it would be unwise. Buying CSOL in its current state and in this environment would be insanity.