LBSU message board

This is the most active oneWebsite

that message board is awful compared to this one.

[i]Originally posted by Neo[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 03:54 PM [b] This is the most active one[url=http://members4.boardhost.com/49erSports/]Website[/url] [/b]
Thanks Neo, I've created a link at the top of the sports forum here.

This is an actual quote from a post on that site:

[b]The Press Telegram released its Best in the West Basketball Team today. You can check it out at [url]www.presstelegram.com[/url]. I miss the days (Seth Greenberg tenure) when at least some of the BIW selections mention Long Beach as one of their potential choices. I think that the downgrading of the Big West has more to do with it than the current state of our program.[/b]

They actually liked Seth Greenberg! What a sorry state of affairs that is.

Read the posts under the ‘MBB Stuff’ thread. Their predicted gloom and doom is hilarious.

This is good reading…

• …meanwhile Charlotte is ranked 27th or so…but we may catch them with an injury or two…

• About Charlotte, I’m not so sure that even on our best night we’ll be able to handle them.

They have an All American monster in the middle from what I’ve heard and we have no one big enough currently to stop someone like that. If I’m wrong and we win, that’ll be an awesome win for our down trodden program.

• Two chances of stopping Curtis Withers, slim and none. Plus Martin Iti is eligible again after reneging on the NBA draft.

• UNCC will kill us, they have always been tough. If we can stay within 25 it will be a miracle.

• I think we have a chance to surprise this year, although I need to see the Thurs. game before making any final predictions. But for now, I’d say we keep it close 3/4 of the game with UNCC winning going away 84-71.

• Lets see we have a ton of new guys still learning to play together, they are loaded with top notch talented players who have played together. To add insult to injury they will have home court advantage. If we win this game it would be a miracle, but I do think that in spite playing on the road we will play alot better defense than last year and UNCC wont get close to 100 points, my best guess UNCC 78 LBS 52.

• UNCC is a tough, highly ranked team playing at home with a high RPI going into the season. They have a monster inside game.
    We are going to get killed…as usual… in this contest.

Who is going to defend their inside person? … the silence indicates that we have no one. They will pound it inside, grab 2 out of every 3 rebounds and we will be forced to shoot from the outside or drive to try to create. Of course we won’t get the fouls because we’re a 5-22 team and everyone knows that bad teams, on the road, don’t get calls.

Larry will be lucky to walk away from this game without getting anyone seriously hurt…physically or emotionally due to the pounding.

UNCC will be up by 35+ at one point before deciding enough is enough… we may close it to 20-25 in a final score, but it won’t be that close.

Not trying to be negative but they are a legitimate NCAA tournament team, that plays in a tough conference, and WE (RPI of 270) are part of their opening line up of cream puffs they get to face at home, to fatten their W-L record before they face any real challenges.

They SHOULD win this game by 35+. If they don’t they don’t deserve to go to the dance. We are a nothing team, with too many new faces to count, that has proven nothing, that plays in a weak conference.

That’s the bottom line… at this point.

oops… HP beat me to it. Funny stuff though.

:lol:

Good for a nice ego boost, if nothing else. I enjoy being thought of in those regards. Not often that we’re so feared.

Wonder where the guy from the old LSB boards that always paid us a visit is? Can’t remember his username but he was a very friendly and knowledgable guy.

[b]Larry will be lucky to walk away from this game without getting anyone seriously hurt...physically or emotionally due to the pounding.

UNCC will be up by 35+ at one point before deciding enough is enough… we may close it to 20-25 in a final score, but it won’t be that close. [/b]

That one has to be my favorite… almost sigworthy.

:blink:

Greetings Niners from across the country! I posted on your board a year or two back… Some other of our fans did as well… I’m a current student at “The Beach” (as we call our school)…

Nice to share discussion with you all again…

Nice message board… We actually have a decent message board on Citadel (which the rest of our conference uses), but for some reason, our older fans like to use the old primitive board… Oh well…

As for our team, we actually have a lot of good talent on this team… But the front court is basically new and untested, and will have a lot of problems against yours (which we’ve heard is pretty dang good)…

Most of this team is new… Our coach is in his 3rd year, and it’s his first when he can really say he has all of HIS players in the program…

We have some good talent… All are new… Shawn Hawkins is a real stud, as he was the #3 small forward in junior college when he was still at Columbus State CC in the mid-west. I saw him play in our exhibition tonight… He’s a stud for sure…
He also is Connie Hawkins’ (ABA/NBA legend) grandson as a side note…

Other talented guys on our team include Louis Darby, Anthony Coleman, and Jibril Hodges… Most of who should be contributers…

Coleman is a transfer from Xavier, and is very versatile…

One guy that would have really helped us against your team is our new transfer, ONYE IBEKWE, who transferred from Oklahoma State… But he won’t be eligible until mid-season because of his mid season transfer…

Keion Kindred is also a stud… He’s one of 3 on our roster from national and California high school power, Dominguez HS.

We really are not expecting to keep it close due to the inexperience of this team… They’re basically a bunch of new faces getting to learn how to play with each other… They play great defense, but nevertheless, we’re not expecting a close game…

Sometimes our alums get overly critical on our board, but you can’t blame them, as we endured 2 PAINFUL re-building years with a new coach…

We’ll be alright this year, in fact, i’m pretty stoked about this season (looks to be a turn around and a starting point for our coach) but our first game in your house doesn’t look to be pretty… Crash course for sure…

Our coach is making major strides… He was said to be a hell of a coach at his last school, and it showed more tonight…
Some good players are expected to sign with us this year, including one guy who is rated the #1 player in the NATION in junior college…

But yeah, you’re welcome to stop by and post on our board whenever…

It still trips me out that we have the same name… B)

Here’s to a good game… We’re hoping our boys give you a good run for your money…

GO BEACH!!! B)

Would you mind sharing a link to your main board Beach TKE?

Thanks.

I have never seen a collection of self-deprecation quite like that.
But hey, they’re honest. Someone should point the Davidson fan trolling about to that thread.

TKE, I hope you’re rigth about the talent level improving. Naturally we want to see a blowout, but after that I hope your team can make steady improvements throughout the season, and maybe knock off a couple of the uppers on the BWC.

TKE,

Welcome back! Thanks for the info about your team. Although it looks as if this game won’t be close, I hope your 49ers fare well the rest of the season.

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 04:25 PM [b]This is an actual quote from a post on that site:
[b]The Press Telegram released its Best in the West Basketball Team today. You can check it out at [url]www.presstelegram.com[/url]. I miss the days (Seth Greenberg tenure) when at least some of the BIW selections mention Long Beach as one of their potential choices. I think that the downgrading of the Big West has more to do with it than the current state of our program.[/b]

They actually liked Seth Greenberg! What a sorry state of affairs that is.[/b]

I’m the one who posted the Seth Greenberg reference below. Seth did a great job with our program. He got us back to the NCAA tournament twice, after a very long drought. His teams included Lucious Harris and Bryon Russell, who have both enjoyed long NBA careers.

I had the opportunity to spend time with Seth during his tenure here. Once on a road trip to a tournament at Illinois and four times through our honorary coach program. While Seth is somewhat arrogant, I think you have to be to be successful as a coach or in many other leadership capacities. He was a great recruiter and did a great job with the preverbial X’s and O’s. There were many occasions where his game strategies made a difference. Most notably was an upset of then number one Kansas on their court.

I’d be interested in your perspectives on Seth. I know he’s at Va. Tech, but don’t follow his teams too closely. I think he made a big mistake by leaving Long Beach when he did. The program was stocked and he was pursued by USC and UNLV amoung others. I think with another successful year or two at Long Beach he could have landed a really major job. I think he was too impatient and jumped at the South Florida job, the doormat of Conf. USA. He faces another tough challenge with Va. Tech’s move to the ACC. I think most of us at Long Beach wish him the best.

P.S. I hope our team puts up a competetive fight next week. Things seem to be pointed in the right direction, but we have a ways to go. I think it would go a long way towards building their confidence if they can keep it somewhat close.

PDog,

From your post, I take it that you have definitely had more up close experience with Seth than anyone on this board, but we were able to see his teams at USF more often than you did. While USF cupboard is now pretty bare, during the bulk of Greenberg’s tenure in Tampa he had the following players:

Altron Jackson: 1st in CUSA in career scoring, 1st in CUSA in career FG made

BB Waldon: 4th in CUSA in career scoring, 2nd in CUSA in career FG made, 2nd in CUSA in career rebounds, 2nd in CUSA in career steals

Reggie Kohn: 1st in CUSA in career assists, 5th in CUSA in career steals, 5th in CUSA in career 3 pt. FG made

Gerrick Morris: 2nd in CUSA in career blocked shots

With that core of players from 1999-2002 USF records were 17-14 (8-8), 18-13 (9-7), and 19-13 (8-8). USF made 2 NIT trips in that time, losing in the 1st round each time. They played in the National Division during those years which was widely considered as by far the weaker of the 2 divisions.

While you say that Seth was great at X’s and O’s and his game strategies making the difference, he did less at USF with more talent than at all but a couple of CUSA schools. He was regularly outcoached by the likes of Huggins, Crean, Lutz, and even James Green at So. Miss, when most times only Huggins had more talent on the court.

Again, I never saw what Greenberg did at LBSU, but I think he is in for it at Va. Tech, because if he couldn’t get it done in CUSA, he will be crushed on a nightly basis in the ACC.

Considering South Florida went 7-20 and 1-15 in conference USA their first year without Seth and VA Tech went 15-14 and 7-9 in a tough big east in their first year with Seth and factoring in the success he had at LBS that they have been unable to duplicate. I think we can safely say Seth has some coaching skillz.
He will have a tough time in the ACC and may not be able to finish in the upper division, but he will make them respectable and VT has already sold out every home conferece game. He signed a very good first recruiting class and if he can keep it up he should be fine.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Nov 12 2004, 03:36 PM [b] Considering South Florida went 7-20 and 1-15 in conference USA their first year without Seth and VA Tech went 15-14 and 7-9 in a tough big east in their first year with Seth and factoring in the success he had at LBS that they have been unable to duplicate. I think we can safely say Seth has some coaching skillz.. [/b]
Let's see, Robert McCullum had to deal with the fact that Seth left the cupboard pretty bare in Tampa. Then Seth runs off to Blacksburg and does a half decent job with players recruited by Ricky Stokes. Hmmm...