Lets get real here, folks....

OK…finally could stomach posting on this board after that game.

First off, I hope this loss stops all the top 25 talk. The main point is top 25 in bball means nothing, and the next point is that we are not a top 25 team. We’re just not.

Dont single out the coaches or individual players. Here it is point blank: If you had anything to do with Charlotte and were on the floor yesterday, you should be very ashamed of your lame ass effort. Only exception is if your name is Curtis.

This team is a pretty decent Charlotte, team, but terribly inconsistent. It doesnt surprise me to lose to ECU, wont surpise me if we lose to St. Louis, and wont surprise me if we beat Cincy. Playing up/down to the competition is exactly right, and what we have been doing for years.

BUT, I do think we will beat Cincy. We have 7 days off, Mitch can heal some (and he really has become less agressive since the injury-I think he is hurting more than some of us think), the players can realize how bad they just stunk up the court, and we can game plan like hell. It will be our must-win game and I think guys like Eddie, Curt, and Plavich will respond.

Yes. We will squeak into the NCAA tourney and flame out again rather quickly. This is what we are. Maybe at best. So, it won’t be so disappointing once you get used to it. Now, I pray they prove me wrong, but the @St. Louis game is already making me want to upchuck.

Well put Ironman…

Agreed.

I hadn’t seen this post yet until after I posted a similar thread “After 18 Games.”

We have played poorly much more often than we have played well. So I agree. We are not some great team that has played poorly a few times…we are an average team (with a lot of talent) that has played well a few times.

We are what we are. A talented team that plays poorly.

How can a talented team play so bad so often? No heart. No leadership.

Any team that Eddie Basden is on will have heart…Lets let this thing play out before we place it in the archieves. Patience grasshoppers…patience.

i agree…with everything said on this topic so far except that we cannot blame coach lutz…i like our coach but if he gets credit for our wins he must except criticism when we lose… when you lead an entire game and lose in the last 2 minutes some blame has to go to the coach, this is not the first this has happened!!! coach is great but he, as well as the rest of the team has to improve when we have the lead and not let it slip away…lets kick the sh’t out of cincy!!!

p.s. whoooooooooo!!!

I agree with most of what Iron said but I’m not ready to write off our NCAA games just yet. I really think this team is going to get it together and string together an impressive run all the way to the post season. Hopefully the EZU loss will be what does it.

I’m thinking…

Gheez people. We lost. Yes, ECU sucks balls. I’m bummed. It happens. Get over it. The first day or so, you vent and get it out of your system, you have a beer, and then the sun comes up. Surprise, it’s a new day.

We’re never as good as this board paints us to be, but we’re also never as bad as the doomsayers would have you believe. We’re inbetween, and we’ll continue to be up and down depending largely on what kind of PG play we get. We knew this all along… why get bent out of shape about it? If we had Jack or Paul running the show, then maybe some of this teeth gnashing would be justified**.

(** This is not to be construed as a slam against Mitch. I love Mitch. He’s a treat to watch. He just isn’t a natural point)

Maybe, MK…Like I said, I still have HOPE…and anything can happen once you get into the tourney (thats the beauty of it). But, all this talk about this team being ‘special’ and it being ‘our year’, I just don’t see it YET. Maybe you’re right and we’ll come together and make a run. We’ll see. It all starts next Sat with Cincy.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 10:19 PM [b] Maybe, MK...Like I said, I still have HOPE...and anything can happen once you get into the tourney (thats the beauty of it). But, all this talk about this team being 'special' and it being 'our year', I just don't see it YET. Maybe you're right and we'll come together and make a run. We'll see. It all starts next Sat with Cincy. [/b]
I'm with you. We show sparks of being a very, very good team but we haven't put that together for a full game. For example we were well in control of Alabama and then just faded away.

I think Cincy will be a telling game for us. We win and I think we’ll be on the right track. Lose, and I will begin to lose faith in us.

Too much is being made of this loss. This happens everyday in college hoops. (See Wake at Florida State)

We should be judged on the whole season. And so far we have been pretty good.

As for playing EZU again - I VOTE NO!!! They bring nothing to the table.

You can’t get over losses like this. There’s something wrong. How can you lose to a team, that is the worst in your conference and the bigger issue, not being able to score in the final 6 or so mins? That’s a huge issue. Where’s our go to guy? Curtis? Eddie? MITCH? We go to MITCH for a last second 3? I know his shot is improving but seriously.

The leaders on this team need to step up…where ever they went…

By the way…we’ve never been the worst in the conference. We’ve only been here three years and made the tourney two of the three. Jsut wanted to clarify.

Yes, you did beat Peperdine, Oregon State and Toledo - but other than us your other two wins were against Belmont Abbey & St. Andrews.

Can you now understand why we are so depressed? Your football reputation is bad enough - but to lose to you guys basketball is horrible!

[i]Originally posted by Savio[/i]@Jan 31 2005, 10:33 AM [b] You can't get over losses like this. There's something wrong. How can you lose to a team, that is the worst in your conference and the bigger issue, not being able to score in the final 6 or so mins? That's a huge issue. Where's our go to guy? Curtis? Eddie? MITCH? We go to MITCH for a last second 3? I know his shot is improving but seriously. [/b]
I think Curtis was the lone player on Saturday that was playing hard. Despite getting mangled everytime he went up, including the last shot he took that was "blocked".

I don’t think Mitch was our first option on the final play. I’m sure they wanted to get Plav the ball but he was covered so it fell to Mitch. What is really bad is that is the only shot he took all day. We need him to be more agressive.

Edited

Note from Moderator Quit junking up legit discussion threads. Confine your posts to the smack board.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Jan 31 2005, 12:00 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Jan 31 2005, 12:00 PM)
[i]Originally posted by VA49er[/i]@Jan 31 2005, 11:17 AM [b] I noticed Mitch didn't look to shoot at all during the game. I have a feeling his shoulder is hurting him more than we know. I just remember past years people complaining that we had point guards with "shoot first" mentalities. Looks like we got the other extreme now at least until the shoulder heals. [/b]
I was thinking that as well VA but he scored during both MU and TCU. I wonder if he's a little gun shy about taking it to the rack with that brace on?
[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Jan 30 2005, 08:25 PM [b] OK...finally could stomach posting on this board after that game.

First off, I hope this loss stops all the top 25 talk. The main point is top 25 in bball means nothing, and the next point is that we are not a top 25 team. We’re just not.

Dont single out the coaches or individual players. Here it is point blank: If you had anything to do with Charlotte and were on the floor yesterday, you should be very ashamed of your lame ass effort. Only exception is if your name is Curtis.

This team is a pretty decent Charlotte, team, but terribly inconsistent. It doesnt surprise me to lose to ECU, wont surpise me if we lose to St. Louis, and wont surprise me if we beat Cincy. Playing up/down to the competition is exactly right, and what we have been doing for years.

BUT, I do think we will beat Cincy. We have 7 days off, Mitch can heal some (and he really has become less agressive since the injury-I think he is hurting more than some of us think), the players can realize how bad they just stunk up the court, and we can game plan like hell. It will be our must-win game and I think guys like Eddie, Curt, and Plavich will respond.

Yes. We will squeak into the NCAA tourney and flame out again rather quickly. This is what we are. Maybe at best. So, it won’t be so disappointing once you get used to it. Now, I pray they prove me wrong, but the @St. Louis game is already making me want to upchuck. [/b]

Great post Iron9er. I agree with the majority of your points. I still can’t believe we didn’t score during the last 6 minutes of the game…terrible. :frowning:

[b]I noticed Mitch didn't look to shoot at all during the game. I have a feeling his shoulder is hurting him more than we know.[/b]

He told me that the shoulder is not really hurting but the brace bothers him.

We need him to attack more, especially against cincinnati.