Levine Scholar read

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/18/4246382/levine-scholar-eileen-jakeway.html

But Jakeway, 18, will be among about 21,000 students starting classes Monday at UNC Charlotte.

I thought we had closer to 27,000 students.

[quote=“PARMAN, post:2, topic:28112”]

But Jakeway, 18, will be among about 21,000 students starting classes Monday at UNC Charlotte.

I thought we had closer to 27,000 students.[/quote]

Think that’s our undergrad figures.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:28112”][quote=“PARMAN, post:2, topic:28112”]

Think that’s our undergrad figures.[/quote]

This is the featured article on the Observer home page right now.

[quote=“ninermike, post:4, topic:28112”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:28112”][quote=“PARMAN, post:2, topic:28112”]

This is the featured article on the Observer home page right now.[/quote]

What does being on the home page of the O have to do with how many students we have? If FBNow is correct, we have a higher percentage of grad students than I thought we did.

BTW, this is a nice article but we have always received somewhat decent coverage at stuff not sports related.

When the Levine is compared to the Morehead than that is a big deal. I have a rising senior that is applying for several of this scholarships and Charlotte has not been on her radar yet either since she wants to go away to college.

My grandma asks me what it’s all about? She reads articles, and then expects me to know what she read. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to be a dick, but what does this have to do with the girl in the article? Good for her, I think she made a fine choice.

[quote=“49r9r, post:5, topic:28112”][quote=“ninermike, post:4, topic:28112”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:28112”][quote=“PARMAN, post:2, topic:28112”]

This is the featured article on the Observer home page right now.[/quote]

What does being on the home page of the O have to do with how many students we have? If FBNow is correct, we have a higher percentage of grad students than I thought we did.

BTW, this is a nice article but we have always received somewhat decent coverage at stuff not sports related.[/quote]We have about 4,200 graduate students and 800 students pursuing their doctorate degrees.

That is one smug article. The writer makes us seem like we are some piece of s*it school.

The truth is, for someone looking to get into that field, being in a city like Charlotte will offer her a lot of opportunities. Welcome to Niner Nation!

didn’t get that sense…why do you feel that way?

Yeah I got a very positive impression from the article. It read as close to propaganda as you’d ever see in the Observer. We were being compared in the same breath with Harvard and Wellesley.

He can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s where SteauA got the sense that the article was being “smug”. Since UNCC is not on the same academic level as Harvard, Yale, Wellesley, similar schools, I think he felt that it gave the impression that she was “settling” for a school in her hometown instead of going elsewhere to an Ivy League college where she would have done equally well.
Again, I didn’t get that impression personally, but if he did, I guess it’s a matter of perception.

Agreed. I can’t remember an article in the Observer that has given us pr as solid as this. I know many on here are caught up in what media coverage of our sports teams do for our overall image and brand but a pure academic article takes the cake. Small blurb on the front page of the print edition referencing the main article on front page of local. Still the main feature on the Observer home page.

[quote=“SteauA, post:10, topic:28112”]That is one smug article. The writer makes us seem like we are some piece of s*it school.

The truth is, for someone looking to get into that field, being in a city like Charlotte will offer her a lot of opportunities. Welcome to Niner Nation![/quote]

Five years ago, before this Levine program was established many of the top students not only in NC but regionally didn’t consider Charlotte as an option. Many of us were well aware of what was being built in North Charlotte, but few others understood what was occurring.

The Levine Scholars Program has changed that. Just as football has put Charlotte on the map athletically this has put us on the map academically. The university now host guidance councilors from across the east coast looking at what we have to offer. But more importantly, many of the students not selected for Levine now choose Charlotte and find other means to enroll. The transformation of the University is absolutely incredible.

He can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s where SteauA got the sense that the article was being “smug”. Since UNCC is not on the same academic level as Harvard, Yale, Wellesley, similar schools, I think he felt that it gave the impression that she was “settling” for a school in her hometown instead of going elsewhere to an Ivy League college where she would have done equally well.
Again, I didn’t get that impression personally, but if he did, I guess it’s a matter of perception.[/quote]

Exactly.

While the Levine Scholarships are helping Charlotte now, we also have to remember that the NC legislature just got rid of the teaching fellows scholarship. A lot if sharp kids have been getting scholarships at Charlotte via that program for a long time. It’s a shame that program had to go.

I went to HS less than 15 minutes from campus. I chose Charlotte because I liked the engineering program better than NCSU’s. I definitely felt like I went “away” to college. I only saw my folks when I wanted to… but I suppose they made a conscious decision to not infringe on that choice. Charlotte is a big city and, unless she’s a homebody, she’ll have plenty of circles to run in that will never cross paths with the family.

Perhaps share that with her, especially if she’s looking for a program like the Levine, etc. Charlotte may or may not be a great choice for her – just don’t let “going away to college” be the reason not to – because “going away” is what you make it.

Second this. I knew very few people whose college experience was hampered by going to Charlotte (their home town). The key is to live on campus though. If you live at home (which is certainly a big $ factor) then yes your not going to get the experience.

not really. in the article she said that she had friends that went there, it’s not like she said she chose charlotte over those schools. i sort of agree with the overall negative tone of the article.