Life in the A-10

Solution: Stay ranked!!!

I don’t care who we play. As long as we’re ranked in the top 25, we’ll get good crowds and support. People didn’t come to see Depaul. They came to see the ranked Charlotte 49ers. Of course, staying in the top 25 is not easy but if we make a nice run this season, we should be ranked pre-season of next. Get hot early and we should build momentum in the A-10.

Then add some marquee games (Indiana, Miss St, possibly Duke and Cinci in the uptown arena) and we’ll have the city behind us.

Hopefully C-SET will be more wide-spread next year and that will help add to the fan base. And of course, the A-10 must get better but I think Temple, UMASS, Xavier, Dayton, and St. Joes can be top 30 caliber.

Very accurate comments…IMO.

I think TV (along with being ranked) is a key element to getting the attention of Joe Averagefan in this area. I like the concept of C-SET & I think it is an ideal home for 49er basketball.

Further, I can appreciate they have separate contracts with various cable providers, satellite carriers, etc.

However, are they (C-SET) making any progress with increasing their visibility? Sure, its early to plan for next season, but it wouldn’t hurt as the regular season is winding down to build off of this spike & find out it will be easier to catch the 49ers on TV in the future.

If C-SET comes back next season with the exact same market (TW Digital), I think their credibility as a station will be damaged.

I believe Lutz officially declined Duke’s offer to play in the new arena. He mentioned it during Lutz Live a couple of weeks ago that is “wasn’t best for our program at this point.” I have to agree with hiim, and I’m glad he’s standing firm on scheduling fair situations for our team(and if he declined Duke you have to believe he would decline Cinci or anyone else of an offer like that).

But yes, staying ranked will help a lot. The A10 is also going to be a lot better next season, a lot of the good teams are really young this year but will only improve in the next year or two.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:22 AM [b] I believe Lutz officially declined Duke's offer to play in the new arena. He mentioned it during Lutz Live a couple of weeks ago that is "wasn't best for our program at this point." I have to agree with hiim, and I'm glad he's standing firm on scheduling fair situations for our team(and if he declined Duke you have to believe he would decline Cinci or anyone else of an offer like that).

But yes, staying ranked will help a lot. The A10 is also going to be a lot better next season, a lot of the good teams are really young this year but will only improve in the next year or two. [/b]

My friend and I talk about this alot. I don’t think that it would be such a bad thing for us to play Duke at the new arena one time and then play at Cameron the next year. We are in a transition year and don’t have the Cinci game to get the casual fan in for a game. A Duke game would generate excitement next year and the year we play there. If we do play in the new arena, they should require that you buy a ticket to another home game at Halton in order to get a ticket to that game. Or somehow package it so that it encourages someone to come to Halton for a game. Just an idea. I read where some NFL teams do that. They require you buy a ticket to a less popular game in order to get the most popular game.

I just think we could take advantage of the excitement in teh city with the new arena. Just my $.02.

The problem with playing Duke in the new arena is it creates an unfair atmospherer for us 2 years in a row. Even if we managed to get 10000 49er fans in their, there would still be 20000 Duke fans, thus giving them home court advantage in the Charlotte arena. Then to follow that up the following year at Duke would be like playing them on their home turf 2 years in a row. Yes we need exposure and quality match-ups, but it does us no good to go on the road and get beat up. Look at how Memphis got destroyed doing that this year.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Duke wanted a 2 for 1 where the 1 was the new uptown arena. That is a LOT to ask, they should keep talking to Davidson if they want a deal like that. Bobby has said Duke is one of the few teams he would agree to a 2-for-1 with, but doing it outside of Halton is just too much, essentially that’s three home games for Duke.

Play Duke anytime, anywhere you can. The benefits far outway the minuses,

Exposure in the state and nationally. RPI help, losing to them is more help than beating Georgia St. We should make some money for the program.

And lastly, I for one think we can play with them. This would have been a great year to play them. If Withers sticks around for another year, I say book them in the uptown arena and screw the crowd.

I can get drunk and yell as loud as any Dukie.

[i]Originally posted by unccfan[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:50 AM [b] The problem with playing Duke in the new arena is it creates an unfair atmospherer for us 2 years in a row. Even if we managed to get 10000 49er fans in their, there would still be 20000 Duke fans, thus giving them home court advantage in the Charlotte arena. Then to follow that up the following year at Duke would be like playing them on their home turf 2 years in a row. Yes we need exposure and quality match-ups, but it does us no good to go on the road and get beat up. Look at how Memphis got destroyed doing that this year. [/b]
OK, Let's say it's a 1 year deal. We play Duke at the new arena on a weeknight. I think the new arena will hold about 18,000. I think the crowd would be 60-40 Duke fans. Even if we got beat, there are alot of positives.

-A loss to Duke wouldn’t destroy our season. Just having them on the schedule would boost our RPI. If we win, it would be huge step for the program.

• A casual basketball fan that works/lives uptown who has no connection with the 49ers would come out and see we have a good team and may decide to come out to Halton. We all know we need community support.
    -The game would probably be on ESPN. More exposure. All the Duke-haters around the country would be cheering for us.
  • It would prepare us for playing in an NCAA tourney game by playing in a large arena that is almost half and half, against a good team.

With all of this said, I would love to see somthing like this happen, but if it doesn’t, we’ll be fine. Just schedule who we can and beat who’s on our schedule. Not much more you can ask.

clt adds that duke really doesnt have that many fans. if the niners played at the new arena against them, the crowd would be pro niners

how about a tournament? of winthrop, charlotte, duke, and south carolina.

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:34 AM [b] If we do play in the new arena, they should require that you buy a ticket to another home game at Halton in order to get a ticket to that game. Or somehow package it so that it encourages someone to come to Halton for a game. Just an idea. I read where some NFL teams do that. They require you buy a ticket to a less popular game in order to get the most popular game. [/b]
The NY Mets bundle games into "Super Packs". Not sure exactly how it works but I think it is a trickle down effect. Full-season ticket holders obviously get all games but then there are partial season tickets like Saturdays, Sundays or both, then the super packs (usually bundling the Yankers, Red Sox, Braves, Giants, and any other team that they think will draw interest), then they open the single- ticket sales last. Opening day of single-ticket sales is impossible to get through on the phone and the good games are gone quickly with people gobbling up the maximum number of tickets on the good games. There is usually slim pickins for the Yankers and Braves by then.
[b]how about a tournament? of winthrop, charlotte, duke, and south carolina. [/b]

I like that. We need to play Winthrop, they’re good team and should be a big draw(lots of Winthrop grad’s in Charlotte).