Light Rail to stop at I-485?/Bruton Smith

Someone shouted this earlier. I read it and had some thoughts on it.
[SIZE=2]For light rail, is I-485 a bridge too far?

So what do ya’ll think? I think it should go atleast to the amphitheatre. It would be great it if went all the way to Lowe’s MS because so many of the race fans could go to the NASCAR HOF and also there would be some less drunk drivers after races.

I was thinking maybe we could see if Bruton Smith wanted to hit us up with some money for football. We could promise to help him to get the rail to Lowe’s ASAP. We could also name our stadium after him or even name it NASCAR Stadium or something. I mean we are in Charlotte, the now official home of NASCAR, I’m sure we could get lots of kids coming here for our racing program and stuff so naming our stadium after racing isnt so out of place. Frankly, I don’t care what the name of the stadium is or any of that, long as we get a team. This is a little far fetched but wtf, I want football!
[/SIZE]

it’ll take Smith and his money to get it done probably, the University would be very wise to align themselves with him/Nascar…the elites at the Observer and center city crowd have been trying for decades to make charlotte like NYC, its why 485 still isn’t complete, they are trying to stop growth to outskirts and have been for decades…in short they are idiots.

I had a professor in business school that pointed this out when I was in school, he had some old articles from Observer about this type of stuff, basically showed us what a sham it all is

I agree. I think it should go to the amplitheater.

I really don’t think we need a light rail system in Charlotte. They are actually a huge drain on the cities who have them. And, speaking from experience, the Marta system in Atlanta simply brought crime to everything it touched. It came to the point where some communities did not want stops in their area.

But, if they’re going to build it anyway, it would make sense to go to the amplitheater and the speedway.

By the way, here is a more updated article from the Observer on it. This is more about how it will benefit UNC Charlotte. I suppose it was written because the vote to decide whether or not it will cut through the university is occurring today.

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/14917499.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/14917499.htm[/URL]

i think it should be done away with. Its nothing but an expensive terrorist target that no one will use.

Bruton mentioned a monorail into uptown a few years ago. Maybe he should just take his monorail to the nearest light rail stop. While I am not a big fan of the light rail I think we are just about at the end of the roads. People in this town will not ride a bus and we can not keep adding lanes to roads. The only other option is a type of rail, unless one of you have some transporter technology from Star Trek. ATL is an example of light rail done wrong, but DC is an example of light rail done right. It can work, will it work is the question.

[QUOTE=ninerID;179287]i think it should be done away with. Its nothing but an expensive terrorist target that no one will use.[/QUOTE]

If no one rides it then it will not be a terrorist target. A large number of people need to be present for a terrorist act to achieve it’s goals.

i think it should be done away with. Its nothing but an expensive terrorist target that no one will use.
Hah! Why in the world would they mess with our light rail system. On their list of targets, that has got to be down around the 1000s. Anyway, by the time we get it built, they will all have been killed by us or by themselves. Rest easy, my friend, I doubt BoA is even very high on their list.

It looks like the plan to loop through the campus is actually cheaper than going straight down 29. Here’s a link to a presentation that shows the projected route on a map.
http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/epe2app3mqb2muliyk53tqiatmg75ktor3dnbcjrotzpyndxy4ucvahvlypkor2df4jzzmln2g5q77mnfbianzaxeff/PublicMeeting0605063.pdf

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;179283]I really don’t think we need a light rail system in Charlotte. They are actually a huge drain on the cities who have them. And, speaking from experience, the Marta system in Atlanta simply brought crime to everything it touched. It came to the point where some communities did not want stops in their area.[/QUOTE]

Just nitpicking here, but if you are opposed to light rail in Charlotte (and youve given some good reasons), are you then in favor of tax hikes to support the transportation infrastructure growth necessary to accomodate the suburban sprawl currently plaguing our city?

I see too many people crapping on light rail simply because it costs a good bit of money, without facing the issue that sprawl and terrible design of transportation projects like 485 are a real problem. Who the hell greenlighted the idea of commercial exits every 1 to 2 miles on that road? What a complete cluster----.

Extending this to the ampitheater doesn’t make sense and neither does extending it to the raceway.

Neither is cats planning to extend it past 485 and neither should they.

Two busy weekends a year does not justify spending millions more, plus the light rail would not be able to handle a significant amount of the race crowd anyway.

Also, ampitheater crowds will never get any bigger than current sellouts(i.e.) we’ve seen as bad as the traffic gets. The current roads handle these swells well currently. It is very costly to jump over I 485. It isn’t cost effective when you are just talking about two weeknds for nascar and a couple crowded nights for verizon.

These previous reasons are what CATS said at the public hearing and they make sense.

Bruton Smith can pay for this if he wants to but he wont because he will lose his sleeves. (I would say he’d lose his shirt but I think he’s rich enough that after the loss he would still be able to keep the part covering his torso.)

If anyone looks at the Powerpoint presentation ApexNiner posted, can you tell me what all the blue on those maps is? Are they going to flood all that stuff or something?

Just nitpicking here, but if you are opposed to light rail in Charlotte (and youve given some good reasons), are you then in favor of tax hikes to support the transportation infrastructure growth necessary to accomodate the suburban sprawl currently plaguing our city?

I see too many people crapping on light rail simply because it costs a good bit of money, without facing the issue that sprawl and terrible design of transportation projects like 485 are a real problem. Who the hell greenlighted the idea of commercial exits every 1 to 2 miles on that road? What a complete cluster----.

To be honest with you, NA, I just don’t think light rail will solve much of anything at all.

Suburban sprawl is a real problem, I agree. But, have you seen how many people actually ride the bus? Even the free ones downtown? Usually only the people who don’t have cars and wouldn’t contribute to urban sprawl anyway. Do you think it will be any different for people riding the rail?

By the way, just wondering… Do you ride the bus?

Looking at cost/benefit, it’s hard to make the case for it… just my opinion.

If anyone looks at the Powerpoint presentation ApexNiner posted, can you tell me what all the blue on those maps is? Are they going to flood all that stuff or something?

It looks like a flood zone…

To be honest with you, NA, I just don't think light rail will solve much of anything at all.

Suburban sprawl is a real problem, I agree. But, have you seen how many people actually ride the bus? Even the free ones downtown? Usually only the people who don’t have cars and wouldn’t contribute to urban sprawl anyway. Do you think it will be any different for people riding the rail?

By the way, just wondering… Do you ride the bus?

Looking at cost/benefit, it’s hard to make the case for it… just my opinion.

I hate buses, but I’d ride a light rail. If its anything like the tube in London, then it’ll be good. I road that thing a lot and it is very good. Buses suck.

Haha come to think of it, last time I road the tube was a week before it gone bombed. That coulda sucked…

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;179308]It looks like a flood zone…[/QUOTE]

It is.

It is.
It is? So then whats the dealio? Are we going to be having a "Lake Norman (the Niner)"? Or is it a prediction based on global warming?
I hate buses, but I'd ride a light rail. If its anything like the tube in London, then it'll be good. I road that thing a lot and it is very good. Buses suck.

Haha come to think of it, last time I road the tube was a week before it gone bombed. That coulda sucked…

Yeah, I think you’d see a ton of students riding back and forth between campus and the city, partying, etc. Might even keep some students here over the weekend. I think students would take advantage of it, which they should… don’t get me wrong.

**However, the bulk of these people, I believe, would be those who don’t go downtown that often now and don’t really contribute to the present traffic in downtown Charlotte, especially at peak times: early in morning and right after 5:00 pm. Tons of students, as I’m sure you know, leave for the weekend, so that’s not much of a concern.

Students visiting the city via light rail would not be a bad thing for Charlotte, UNC Charlotte, or the students… obviously.

It is? So then whats the dealio? Are we going to be having a "Lake Norman (the Niner)"? Or is it a prediction based on global warming?

No no, those are just areas along the creek that historically flood. They’re all over the city. If you try to build a new home there, you have next to no chance to get flood isurance and you won’t get bailed out by the government if you have flood damage.

No no, those are just areas along the creek that historically flood. They're all over the city. If you try to build a new home there, you have next to no chance to get flood isurance and you won't get bailed out by the government if you have flood damage.

Well darn. I was looking forward to Lake Norman (the Niner). Come on now. Not one laugh? That was funny.

There are plans to create a small lake from Toby Creek but it’s definitely not that large of an area. Someday we can tailgate from boats for football.