Light Rail Updates

[URL]http://www.universitycitypartners.org/news/details.aspx?ID=110[/URL]

This is a short write-up on the light rail extension to the University area. It looks like the idea now is to build a bridge over Harris Blvd at the Tryon intersection.

UCP needs to get on board and start calling it the Green Line.

[URL]http://www.universitycitypartners.org/news/details.aspx?ID=110[/URL]

This is a short write-up on the light rail extension to the University area. It looks like the idea now is to build a bridge over Harris Blvd at the Tryon intersection.

That last sentence in the CRI section (next to last paragraph) doesn’t make sense to me. Anybody else think this?

UCP needs to get on board and start calling it the Green Line.
At the Student Union Dedication the Chancellor mentioned the light rail station and called it the Green Line. I am sure that is wishful thinking at this point, but it is good to see that is his vocabulary.

[QUOTE=919R;428280]That last sentence in the CRI section (next to last paragraph) doesn’t make sense to me. Anybody else think this?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]MORE ROOM FOR CHARLOTTE RESEARCH INSTITUTE

The revised design now calls for the light-rail line to enter the UNC Charlotte campus further north than previously planned.
WHY THE CHANGE - UNC Charlotte requested the change to ensure that it has adequate space along North Tryon for the emerging Charlotte Research Institute campus. [B]The change also means that the tracks will cross at grade through the new CRI entrance on North Tryon Street, then drop into a trench before cutting under North Tryon and onto campus.[/B] [/QUOTE]

That’s pretty easy to explain. By extending the the tracks further up US 29 that will allow them to start the trench further up as well, so there will be no need to alter or close the CRI campus entrance. The trench will begin after passing the entrance. It basically means the tracks will cross at ground level at the entrance.

That last sentence in the CRI section (next to last paragraph) doesn't make sense to me. Anybody else think this?
The change also means that the tracks will cross at grade through the new CRI entrance on North Tryon Street, then drop into a trench before cutting under North Tryon and onto campus.

I agree, it doesn’t make sense. The only thing I can figure out is that the train will be in the median on North Tryon and then cut under the road at a point past the CRI entrance.

Perhaps they meant to say CRI intersection instead of CRI entrance? That’s how I was visualizing it.

[QUOTE=scollie41;428294]I agree, it doesn’t make sense. The only thing I can figure out is that the train will be in the median on North Tryon and then cut under the road at a point past the CRI entrance.[/QUOTE]

The current plan is that it will run on the west side of US 29 (i.e. the Kohl’s side of the road).

i worked for the utimes a couple years ago and this was one the stories i did. by far the most expensive part of this line from uptown is from harris blvd to mallard creek, but if they cut it out they wouldn’t meet the numbers to qualify for federal funding. at that point they didn’t know if they were going to build a bridge or get real creative with a tunnel or something.

That's pretty easy to explain. By extending the the tracks further up US 29 that will allow them to start the trench further up as well, so there will be no need to alter or close the CRI campus entrance. The trench will begin after passing the entrance. It basically means the tracks will cross at ground level at the entrance.

If that is the case, it shouldn’t read… “through the new CRI entrance on North Tryon Street, then drop into a trench before cutting under North Tryon and onto campus”…because as it passes BY the CRI entrance, the tracks would still be on the other side of Tryon (ie; the “entrance” is on the opposite side"--------the CRI is on the same side as “campus”--------so how would it go through the entrance, THEN under Tryon and onto campus)…just poorly written, IMO.

[QUOTE=919R;428321]If that is the case, it shouldn’t read… “[B]through the new CRI entrance[/B] on North Tryon Street, then drop into a trench before cutting under North Tryon and onto campus”…because as it passes BY the CRI entrance, the tracks would still be on the other side of Tryon (ie; the “entrance” is on the other side, so how is it going “through the entrance”)…just poorly written, IMO.[/QUOTE]

It should have said “Through the CRI INTERSECTION”. It’s clear from the picture included with the text that the track will run on the west side of US 29.

Most important unaddressed question: How much more will these changes cost?

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;428324]It should have said “Through the CRI INTERSECTION”. It’s clear from the picture included with the text that the track will run on the west side of US 29.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it’s running down the middle, isn’t it?

Actually, it's running down the middle, isn't it?

Looks like the middle to me too.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;428334]Actually, it’s running down the middle, isn’t it?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow]I’m looking at the supports on that bridge in the picture and they plus the tracks beyond are clearly on the other side of US 29. I too had heard it was going to be down the middle but it sure does make a lot more sense, construction and traffic-wise, to put it on one side or the other. It may run down the middle till it gets to the WT Harris intersection but there’s plenty of room on that side of the road after the intersection and they said “tunnel under Tryon” not “through the center of Tryon”.[/QUOTE]

I take all this back. Looking at the picture again you can see that the southbound lane IS behind the bridge. Curious though as this means the trench will be down the middle too. This will be interesting to see played out from an engineering and design standpoint

University line [I]delayed[/I] 3-6 years, [URL]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/948744.html[/URL] And that is assuming it gets federal funding.

Who was that poster 3 years ago who was saying the hal-cent sales tax alone was not going to be able to pay for the (then) current plan?

I don’t know anyone who thought the half-cent sales tax would pay for the entire project… even pre-recession. Federal funds have always been a major part of the funding, just like the Blue line.