Line on Massachusetts Game

The early line in Vegas is Massachusetts -7.5

[QUOTE=49erForever;286136]The early line in Vegas is Massachusetts -7.5[/QUOTE] Which I’m pretty sure is less than the Clemson game was.

Wow…seriously?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;286165]Which I’m pretty sure is less than the Clemson game was.[/QUOTE]

Clemson was -15 or so against us.

Clemson was giving 18 at tipoff.

Fark the line, let’s just go win …

Metro, doesnt negative mean we will win? I dont get this line stuff? Where is the line drawn? :lmao:

[QUOTE=Gill2003;286290]Metro, doesnt negative mean we will win? I dont get this line stuff? Where is the line drawn? :lmao:[/QUOTE]

Ah, you beat me to it Gill… :hammer:

Gill, negative means you are giving up points OR are considered the favorite. In this case, UMass is a 7.5 point favorite. You might see the line somewhere as “Charlotte +7.5” as well.

If you are betting on the game and pick Charlotte, the 49ers must not lose by more than 7 points. If betting on the Minutemen, they must win by more than 8 points. Naturally, we all think the 49ers will will be outright victorious!

That means I should bet the farm on 49ers. Vegas starts to catch on after the Clemson game.:smile:

I’m offering this [COLOR=DarkRed]preview[/COLOR] only as a what-to-watch-for. Mass has four guys averaging double figures, with two 20-point scorers:

Saturday, January 19th, 4:00 p.m. (et) FACTS & STATS: Site: Mullins Center (9,493) -- Amherst, Massachusetts. Home Record: Charlotte 9-1, UMass 6-1. Away Record: Charlotte 1-2, UMass 3-3. Neutral Record: Charlotte 1-2, UMass 3-0. Conference Record: Charlotte 2-0, UMass 1-1. Series Record: Tied, 2-2.

GAME NOTES: In an Atlantic 10 Conference showdown, the Charlotte 49ers face off against the Massachusetts Minutemen at the Mullins Center in Amherst today. The 49ers are on a roll, as they have notched three straight wins and five in their last six outings. Most recently, the team nipped Saint Joseph’s, 70-66, on Wednesday to remain perfect in league play at 2-0. Now at 11-5 overall, Charlotte heads away from home, having gone just 2-4 between road and neutral site affairs. As for UMass, it is coming off its biggest win of the season, an 82-71 upset at nationally-ranked Dayton on Wednesday. It was the team’s first win over a ranked opponent since knocking off 21st-ranked George Washington, 76-74, in overtime in 2005. With the win, the Minutemen snapped a short two- game slide and improved to 12-4 overall and an even 1-1 in conference play. The all-time series between UMass and Charlotte is knotted at 2-2, with the Minutemen capturing last season’s lone meeting, 66-61.

The 49ers hit on 43.3 percent of their shots from the floor and 16-of-22 at the foul line, as they slipped past Saint Joseph’s on Wednesday. The team also controlled the boards, 35-30, and that includes a 10-6 edge on the offensive glass. Leemire Goldwire drained 7-of-15 three-pointers and he finished with 36 points for Charlotte, while Lamont Mack had 12 points and five boards. For the season, Goldwire ranks among the top scorers around, as he is averaging 20.3 ppg behind 36.3 percent shooting from long distance. He has also been a factor at the defensive end of the floor, leading the squad with 31 steals. Mack ranks second on the club in both scoring (10.5 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg) and he also has 17 steals to his name. As a unit, the 49ers are turning in 69.6 ppg this season, although they are making good on just 39.7 percent of their shots from the floor.

Three-point shooting was the difference in the Minutemen’s upset on Wednesday, as they sank 13-of-30 long-range attempts compared to just a 4-of-25 effort by Dayton. UMass also did a good job protecting the ball, committing a mere six turnovers. Ricky Harris led the charge with 22 points on the strength of 5- of-11 shooting from three-point land. Chris Lowe turned in 19 points and six assists, while Gary Forbes logged 16 points and seven rebounds. For the season, [COLOR=DarkRed]Forbes [/COLOR]ranks as the team’s top scorer ([COLOR=DarkRed]20.6 ppg[/COLOR]) and rebounder (7.3 rpg) and he is also dishing out 3.3 apg. [COLOR=DarkRed]Harris [/COLOR]nips at his heels with [COLOR=DarkRed]19.9 ppg[/COLOR] and he leads UMass in steals with 34. [COLOR=DarkRed]Lowe [/COLOR]chips in with [COLOR=DarkRed]12.9 ppg[/COLOR] and he has been responsible for running the offense, handing out a team-best 5.4 apg. Etienne [COLOR=DarkRed]Brower [/COLOR]puts forth [COLOR=DarkRed]12.9 ppg[/COLOR] and 6.4 rpg for the Minutemen, who are [COLOR=DarkRed]averaging a healthy 85.4 ppg this season[/COLOR].

UMass is coming off a major upset and its ability to knock down three pointers at a high rate makes it dangerous every night. [SIZE=4][B]The Minutemen simply have too many weapons for Charlotte to deal with, so expect them to post the win today.

[/B][/SIZE] Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Massachusetts 83, Charlotte 70
01/19 10:32:01 ET

[QUOTE=49erForever;286136]The early line in Vegas is Massachusetts -7.5[/QUOTE]
And UMass covers, winning by 7. Those bookies are good.

And UMass covers, winning by 7. Those bookies are good.

Um. UMass didn’t cover if Charlotte was spotted 7.5 points.

Means Charlotte with the 7.5 pt spot won by 0.5 under Vegas rules.

fixed, you are correct. I wasn’t paying attention. metro PMs have me all stirred up at the moment.

fixed, you are correct. I wasn't paying attention. metro PMs have me all stirred up at the moment.

Too bad it’s not a win for real…