Looking at the 2014 Roster: QBs & RBs

With kick-off only 49 days from now, I thought it would be a good time to start looking at what our football team is going to look like this year. Now that we finally have an official roster to look at, I was going to take a shot at a depth chart for each of our positions, starting with the QBs and RBs tonight.

QB is pretty simple. Our starter from day 1 has been Matt Johnson. He had his ups and down in year one but that was to be expected with a QB in his 1st season of college football. Johnson ended the season with 2581 yards passing, 21 TDs, and 12 INTs. He also rushed for 418 yards and 3 TDs. I am looking forward to seeing how much he has improved after an offseason in the weight room and watching college film. His development this year is very important if he is to be our QB going into C-USA in 2015.

Johnson’s back-up last year was Lee McNeill. In limited time he completed 6 passes for 37 yards and 1 TD. He will likely continue as Johnson’s back-up in 2014. Not returning from last year is 3rd string QB Patrick OBrien who transferred back to UNCP.

Incoming freshman Brooks Barden is a highly touted QB from Cartersville, GA. He enrolled in the Spring and participated in the April Spring Game but did not complete a pass. Barden will likely use this year as a Red Shirt unless there are injuries.

8 Matt Johnson – RS-SO
5 Lee McNeill – RS- SO
12 Brooks Barden – FR

At Running Back, the Niners return leading rusher Kalif Phillips who had 716 yards and 12 TDs in 2013. Phillips had shoulder surgery after the season and was not healthy enough to participate in the Spring game. He will be the starter if healthy. The second leading rusher from last season, Alan Barnwell was dismissed from the team after his arrest in the offseason. The Niners lose his 636 yards and 5 TD.

Without Phillips and Barnwell, Demarrell Alexander and Jachin Watkins led the 49ers rushing attack in the Spring Game. Alexander (R-JR) looks to be the front runner to start the season as Phillip’s back-up. He had 280 yards and 1 TD last season. Watkins sat out last year as a RS, but worked with the H-backs last year. Will he stay with the RBs and compete for the #2 spot or go back with the H-backs in 2014? He’s listed as an H-Back on the current roster.

Also returning from last year is RS Soph Donjore Gainey. He was the scout team RB last season, playing in 3 games and gaining 55 yards. RS-SR Quintin Gay also returns to add depth.

A big question with the RBs is if incoming Freshman Maetron Thomas from Stockbridge, GA will challenge for playing time right away or will he red shirt in 2014? The staff would probably like to RS him as long as Phillips is healthy. There was also talk of red shirting true freshmen from last season. Phillips could be a candidate for that, especially if his shoulder is not 100%.

3 Kalif Phillips – SO
32 Demarrell Alexander – R-JR
17 Jachin Watkins – RS-FR
22 Donjore Gainey – RS- SO
30 Quintin Gay – RS-SR
23 Maetron Thomas – FR

Thoughts?

Actual football talk? Interesting concept.

I’m hoping to see marked improvement from Johnson. There’s no question that he’s got the desire and toughness to do well, he’s just got to make better decisions. If we can RS Barden, that’ll be good.

I’d love to watch Philips continue carrying the ball this year, but I wouldn’t be upset about giving him a RS and saving him for C-USA either. It’s too bad that Barnwell messed up. We could have used him to help carry the load this year.

Good summary, Mr. Bo. Thanks.

I really hope we redshirt Philips, and it makes even more sense now that Barnwell is out. He has all the talent to be our feature back in CUSA, and I want him to have 3 years of meaningful games instead of 2. He was so stellar last year. He deserves to be fully healthy and ready to go when we get to the big boy leagues.

I’m all in favor of redshirting Phillips and anyone else who will be more Valuable in FBS.

Phillips is not redshirting…and despite rumors, was never really considered as a redshirt option for this season.

He will be our horse RB this season.

The only concern is his running style. That’s how he got the shoulder injury this year…and could lead to more injuries going forward. He is fun to watch…but his punishing style may hurt him as much as it defines him.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:5, topic:28885”]Phillips is not redshirting…and despite rumors, was never really considered as a redshirt option for this season.

The only concern is his running style. That’s how he got the shoulder injury this year…and could lead to more injuries going forward. He is fun to watch…but his punishing style may hurt him as much as it defines him.[/quote]

Actually it has been discussed, doubt it happens now with Barnwell getting kicked off but it was most definitely discussed by the coaching staff.

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:6, topic:28885”][quote=“TRLeader, post:5, topic:28885”]Phillips is not redshirting…and despite rumors, was never really considered as a redshirt option for this season.

The only concern is his running style. That’s how he got the shoulder injury this year…and could lead to more injuries going forward. He is fun to watch…but his punishing style may hurt him as much as it defines him.[/quote]

Actually it has been discussed, doubt it happens now with Barnwell getting kicked off but it was most definitely discussed by the coaching staff.[/quote]

Either way, I hope his shoulder is good to go.

It will be interesting to see how Maetron Thomas fits in. His High School used him as RB and as a WR in the same spread offense we use. He looks like more of a speed guy and not a bruiser like Phillips is.

They will make a great combo together in at least 2 years together in C-USA. One of them has to RS this season though.

Johnson’s main issue is he treated every defense the same. So the throws he made against Campbell were fine, but against JMU or Coastal, they were dangerous and led to issues. He was a RS-Fr so those things happens. He’ll learn that teams will get film on him and will pick his tendencies apart, so he’ll have to adjust as well. All signs seem to point that he will make those changes, or atleast try to, so I guess that remains to be seen.

I’d like to see them RS Barden. I don’t know if that means they use a walk-on QB as the third stringer, or one of the number of WR’s they recruited who were QB’s in HS in that position. I can’t recall how the NCAA works, but I thought for football you had to declare your redshirts prior to the season beginning. Maybe somebody knows?

As for RB, I think Watkins will stay at H-back, and Thomas will get the redshirt. That’s still 4 HB’s for our use. While it’d be nice to have Phillips RS so that we could have him the extra year in FBS, I think the Barnwell situation kind of screwed that up for us.

According to 247sports, we’ve targeted 10 backs for 2015 with 2 already committing. I think we need to grab atleast one of those guys if not 2 for the future.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28885”]It will be interesting to see how Maetron Thomas fits in. His High School used him as RB and as a WR in the same spread offense we use. He looks like more of a speed guy and not a bruiser like Phillips is.

They will make a great combo together in at least 2 years together in C-USA. One of them has to RS this season though.[/quote]

Maetron reminds me of a Sproles type player.

Johnson was a Freshman… A Freshman playing with other Freshman (or kids with little to no experience for the most part). He has room to grow, but by-in-large his season was really freaking good.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:10, topic:28885”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28885”]It will be interesting to see how Maetron Thomas fits in. His High School used him as RB and as a WR in the same spread offense we use. He looks like more of a speed guy and not a bruiser like Phillips is.

They will make a great combo together in at least 2 years together in C-USA. One of them has to RS this season though.[/quote]

Maetron reminds me of a Sproles type player.[/quote]

Sounds like he’ll be exciting to watch.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:9, topic:28885”]Johnson’s main issue is he treated every defense the same. So the throws he made against Campbell were fine, but against JMU or Coastal, they were dangerous and led to issues. He was a RS-Fr so those things happens. He’ll learn that teams will get film on him and will pick his tendencies apart, so he’ll have to adjust as well. All signs seem to point that he will make those changes, or atleast try to, so I guess that remains to be seen.

I’d like to see them RS Barden. I don’t know if that means they use a walk-on QB as the third stringer, or one of the number of WR’s they recruited who were QB’s in HS in that position. I can’t recall how the NCAA works, but I thought for football you had to declare your redshirts prior to the season beginning. Maybe somebody knows?

As for RB, I think Watkins will stay at H-back, and Thomas will get the redshirt. That’s still 4 HB’s for our use. While it’d be nice to have Phillips RS so that we could have him the extra year in FBS, I think the Barnwell situation kind of screwed that up for us.

According to 247sports, we’ve targeted 10 backs for 2015 with 2 already committing. I think we need to grab atleast one of those guys if not 2 for the future.[/quote]

the players they have listed as rb’s that are committed to us, like irvin, will probably be db’s in college. i know we are going hard after joshua allen from victory christian. sounds like we are still in the hunt for him.

Was in complete agreement with you until the “really freaking good” part.

In watching several practices in the Spring, Matt showed some indications of growth/progress and I think that will continue into the Fall.

However, 10 years from now, it is likely that Matt Johnson will remembered only as the 1st starting quarterback of this program. Barden is a freshman like Matt was a year ago. Comparing Barden’s freshman Spring practice to Johnson’s freshman Spring practice, I am confident (barring something unforseen) that Barden will have a better career at Charlotte than Matt Johnson when all is said and done.

I was really hoping we could land Rocky Reid but he is committed to Tennessee with more SEC offers coming in.

In watching several practices in the Spring, Matt showed some indications of growth/progress and I think that will continue into the Fall.

However, 10 years from now, it is likely that Matt Johnson will remembered only as the 1st starting quarterback of this program. Barden is a freshman like Matt was a year ago. Comparing Barden’s freshman Spring practice to Johnson’s freshman Spring practice, I am confident (barring something unforseen) that Barden will have a better career at Charlotte than Matt Johnson when all is said and done.[/quote]

I’m just curious what the measuring stick was for Johnson as a RS Frosh with a start up program was? Jameis Winston? Peyton Manning Jr year?

I was really hoping we could land Rocky Reid but he is committed to Tennessee with more SEC offers coming in.[/quote]

Talked with a person last night who is quite familiar with past 15+ years of Concord HS football. He thinks Reid is making mistake going to the SEC. Said a program like Charlotte would have been good fit for him.

I was really hoping we could land Rocky Reid but he is committed to Tennessee with more SEC offers coming in.[/quote]

Talked with a person last night who is quite familiar with past 15+ years of Concord HS football. He thinks Reid is making mistake going to the SEC. Said a program like Charlotte would have been good fit for him.[/quote]

Good to hear that the locals think highly of our program early on. I’ve been really impressed with our coaching staff and how they have made it a family atmosphere to connect with the kids.

However, 10 years from now, it is likely that Matt Johnson will remembered only as the 1st starting quarterback of this program. Barden is a freshman like Matt was a year ago. Comparing Barden’s freshman Spring practice to Johnson’s freshman Spring practice, I am confident (barring something unforseen) that Barden will have a better career at Charlotte than Matt Johnson when all is said and done.[/quote]

I have not seen much of Barden except for the spring game, but it sounds like the coaching staff is really high on him.

Ideally, Johnson would continue to make strides this year and lead us into C-USA with an offense that has played together for 2+ years. That experience would be one of the few advantages we would have on others. Look at what UTSA did. Barden sounds like he is talented enough to push Johnson for the job in 2015, and that will only make us better.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:13, topic:28885”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:9, topic:28885”]Johnson’s main issue is he treated every defense the same. So the throws he made against Campbell were fine, but against JMU or Coastal, they were dangerous and led to issues. He was a RS-Fr so those things happens. He’ll learn that teams will get film on him and will pick his tendencies apart, so he’ll have to adjust as well. All signs seem to point that he will make those changes, or atleast try to, so I guess that remains to be seen.

According to 247sports, we’ve targeted 10 backs for 2015 with 2 already committing. I think we need to grab atleast one of those guys if not 2 for the future.[/quote]

the players they have listed as rb’s that are committed to us, like irvin, will probably be db’s in college. i know we are going hard after joshua allen from victory christian. sounds like we are still in the hunt for him.[/quote]

Sorry, I should have specified that the two committed out of the ten backs are NOT committed to us. I was just saying for all intents and purposes they are out of the picture.