Looking for a new router...

Saw this bump back up and it’s a good thing. My old router was a $35 Belkin that basically allowed me wireless and a hardline to my Xbox for online gaming. I was looking at getting a new router as the one I have is probably a good 8-9 years old. It would support wireless for my computer, possibly online gaming, and streaming for a Roku (see other thread). Do I really need a $135 router? Seems a bit excessive.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:21, topic:28606”]Saw this bump back up and it’s a good thing. My old router was a $35 Belkin that basically allowed me wireless and a hardline to my Xbox for online gaming. I was looking at getting a new router as the one I have is probably a good 8-9 years old. It would support wireless for my computer, possibly online gaming, and streaming for a Roku (see other thread). Do I really need a $135 router? Seems a bit excessive.[/quote]Mines a modem/router combo. So this allows me to turn in the modem I’m leasing from TWC, saves $6 a month on the bill.

Hey, you ended up getting the same one we got. [i]High Fives 2k.

[/i]You can probably buy a new wifi router for $30-60 depending on your needs. Honestly, if your router is working and can keep up with your internet speeds, then I would not bother with a new one.

Hey, you ended up getting the same one we got. [i]High Fives 2k.

[/i]You can probably buy a new wifi router for $30-60 depending on your needs. Honestly, if your router is working and can keep up with your internet speeds, then I would not bother with a new one.[/quote]

I didn’t realize it was a router/modem combo. I was looking at internet stuff and Verizon Fios wants to charge me $5 a month to rent a modem from them. I’m thinking if I can grab a decent router/modem combo then I will have saved for it in 14-16 months. Probably worth it when you figure most agreements are two year deals.