"loudest in the nation"....?

BIG cudOs to Jim Utter for the very nice front page write up this morning. as a side blurb…jim said, “if the 49ers alumni and the general public would turn out at anywhere near the level the student did for monday’s game, Halton Arena would be one of the loudest in the nation.”

yes we the student body really are bringing Halton Arena back to the forefront as one of if not the best arenas in the land…but where do we stack up with the rest of the best? who is the best if we aren’t? other than continual progress and wins…what will bring us to that next level?

ps…i came the year after the cinci game…so i never realy experienced the glory day…but last night was amazing. i wish everyone could have been there. it really was special.

I’ve been there for almost every “Big Game” that we have played since Halton opened and he’s right. When it’s rocking it’s as loud as any arena I’ve personally been in.

I’ve heard Halton is a hard place to play. I remember reading something, and it made Halton sound like the place teams dread playing at.

It was loud last night at times. Overpowering to hear that once again!

ive spoken to ashley spriggs of the womens team before about it. she honestly said without being biased that it was without a doubt the best arena in the a10…hands down."

i want to be in the same breath as ucla…duke…kentucky…texas a&m

On a related note, I think section 103 needs to be given to the students. For whatever reason, most of the ticketholders just don’t show up in this section. Even with the big crowd we had last night 103 was only about 1/2 full. For some of the smaller games last year I remember seeing about 15 people in the entire section. As HP and I were discussing last night it looks terrible on TV.

I say give the whole section back to the students who will make noise and raise the energy level on the cort even more. They obviously can’t take away the season tickets that have already been given out, but they can let students from the upper level move down to empty seats at the 12:00 timeout… they have done that in years past.

What’s sparked the student interest all of a sudden? The student section seemed to have died once we went to the A-10 but the first two games this season attendance has been great. Is it that we are playing local schools or is there better promotion on campus?

max, I had a discussion about that with someone in athletics after the game. Most of that section is corporate donors. What are you going to do if the tickets are sitting/wasting in someone’s desk drawer? They give big bucks and are entitled to the seats. Unfortunately, it looks awful on TV.

Ideas?

Its a combination of Local Schools, Better Promotion and a New breed of fan.

These new fans haven’t been to Cincy games. Games like App State are a big deal, it can be said that they dont know any better.

What's sparked the student interest all of a sudden? The student section seemed to have died once we went to the A-10 but the first two games this season attendance has been great. Is it that we are playing local schools or is there better promotion on campus?

two different things…

one…new blood. they want to be part of something special.

two…in our society we can pretty much classify 8 out of 10 people as bandwagoners. if he or she is doing it…IM GOING TO DO IT… it sucks but i rather have butts in the seats than none at all. most people dont love something as we do…unless they are winning and everyone else is doing it

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;268539]What’s sparked the student interest all of a sudden? The student section seemed to have died once we went to the A-10 but the first two games this season attendance has been great. Is it that we are playing local schools or is there better promotion on campus?[/QUOTE]

I’m too lazy to look now, but on page one of this thread someone nailed the answer to this question. We have flushed out most of the students that even remember what it was like before. The A-10 apathy has died off. I expect it to raise a little more next year with the last class of 4 year students graduating and another influx of Niner fans. :clap: I like it!

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;268539]What’s sparked the student interest all of a sudden? The student section seemed to have died once we went to the A-10 but the first two games this season attendance has been great. Is it that we are playing local schools or is there better promotion on campus?[/QUOTE]
Because [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=Green]“We R Charlotte!”[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

There is increased promotion on the campus, 4 interns who are getting out on campus and trying to spread the word, plus NNG is helping get the word around.

max, I had a discussion about that with someone in athletics after the game. Most of that section is corporate donors. What are you going to do if the tickets are sitting/wasting in someone's desk drawer? They give big bucks and are entitled to the seats. Unfortunately, it looks awful on TV.

Ideas?

its not rocket science. After the first 10 minutes of the game, allow unused seats to be used.

Observation from last night’s game…

At the end when the student section started the “On your feet” chant; did y’all notice the first person standing? Dr. Phil. He’s all in!

I really liked that chant.

Section 104 is the best cheerleaders around.

What's sparked the student interest all of a sudden? The student section seemed to have died once we went to the A-10 but the first two games this season attendance has been great. Is it that we are playing local schools or is there better promotion on campus?

I think that there have always been those die hard fans that have been here since the CUSA days and they are still coming out to games. Plus there is a new blood factor in there as well. But I think a really big part of it has been the type of play. The last couple of years, the Niners were just boring and were horrible to watch, but ever since Charlie Coley at Madness, the buzz has been developing around the team and is leading to greater interest in the team. And once they come out to one game, they realize that this is just a FUN team to watch. This team IMO is more fun to watch than the 04-05 team from my freshmen year which included Eddie Basden, Curtis Withers, Brendan Plavich and a confident Mitchell Baldwin. A lot of the credit has to go to Bobby Lutz who after a couple years of seemingly slacking off in the area of recruiting, finally seems to be putting the right players in place and all of his recent hard work has paid off big time. If the team keeps playing well, you will continue to see the buzz keep becoming greater and greater until finally we get back to having sellouts. I think I have seen enough to give Bobby Lutz the extension, because it is clear that this team has a great future and NCAA tourney bids will soon come. While Leemire is a very important player, he is basically the only asset we will lose after this season ends, and if Lutz is able to land recruits like Karron Johnson (who I think is a Lutz contract extension away from committing here) then we truly have a lot to be excited about with the future of this team. There is no reason to doubt that in the near and distant future, this team will continue to deliver and the fans will be there for it!
:49ers: DANG!!! I AM MORE EXCITED ABOUT NINER HOOPS THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN BEFORE!!!

I think this team is really fun to watch, but the 03-04 and 04-05 teams were way more fun.

The only reason that 04-05 team would not be fun to watch, in hindsight, is because they absolutely sucked in march. But before that, they were amazing.

BIG cudOs to Jim Utter for the very nice front page write up this morning. as a side blurb...jim said, "if the 49ers alumni and the general public would turn out at anywhere near the level the student did for monday's game, Halton Arena would be one of the loudest in the nation."

yes we the student body really are bringing Halton Arena back to the forefront as one of if not the best arenas in the land…but where do we stack up with the rest of the best? who is the best if we aren’t? other than continual progress and wins…what will bring us to that next level?

ps…i came the year after the cinci game…so i never realy experienced the glory day…but last night was amazing. i wish everyone could have been there. it really was special.

having the App fans there also made it a little nice, cause when our crowd died down, they started chanting, then our students were not nooooo wayyyy are they are gonna be louder then us!

I couldn’t help but noticing the " UH HUH" guy was holding a sign in front of section 220. What a fan and a great cheerleader. I hope he will be back supporting the Niners this season.

1. New breed of fans
  2. Our players are doing the right thing - they go down the line at the end and give the student sections high 5’s. Andersen is trying to get the crowd hype - coleys dunk has been EVERYWHERE and was all ppl talked about for a week afterwards.
  3. We’re winning games
  4. This team is fun to watch

and most importantly in my opinion

1. People look at our schedule and realize that we are an actual NCAA team that can, and does compete on the same level as all of these ACC schools, and other big names in the NCAA. People now realize that we arent the equivalent to the basketball version of App’s football team. We can play in the Final 4, and with the right group and support, we can be national champions. People who are Jrs have told me before that until this year, they didnt realize that our team was in the same league as Carolina and NCSU - they thought we were D2 or something. Heck, I had to explain to a guy YESTERDAY that our womens soccer team isnt a club team