Lutz on Fox Sports Radio

I’m getting this secondhand, but apparantly Lutz was getting the third degree from the guy about leaving. Lutz left his options open, but the guy kept saying why don’t you look at your predecesor Melvin Watkins and how the grass wasn’t greener. The interviewer was talking about how at Tennessee or somewhere he would get gobbled up by football. And he was asking about money and Lutz was saying that more money wouldn’t be bad.

I think he also said he would look at all the options but that he wanted to always be able to compete at the highest level of his conference. I think we all know that’s not the case at UT. Could be with Charlotte in the A-10, though.

Did anyone else hear this interview? Like I said, I got all this secondhand so if you heard it, please set me straight if I didn’t get the major points right.

I didn’t hear it but why did the guy assume Lutz would leave or grill him on it? He’s not going anywhere unless he makes the final four. But if he does, I’m sure he’ll get some big money from us and all the support he would ever want.

BTW, I did hear him on ESPN radio with Bob Valvano and another guy Sunday afternoon. They did a good job of asking him questions about the team, players, and the excitement of the NCAA tournament. THey talked about Plavich and how Lutz’s teams really like to shoot the three. Lutz pointed out that we have balance this year and we make more free-throws than our opponents attempt. We have guys who can drive the ball. He said this point is never mentioned.

Lefty. Is that your opinion about Bobby and not leaving unless he gets to final four? Or did Uncle Bobby tell you that during breakfast or something?

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 10:10 AM [b] Lefty. Is that your opinion about Bobby and not leaving unless he gets to final four? Or did Uncle Bobby tell you that during breakfast or something? [/b]
Of course, I talk to him daily. :rolleyes:

I had to run into the office and get on a damn conference call right before the Lutz interview started. I can’t really blame Lutz for saying that more money would be nice and that he would keep his options open. Who here wouldn’t do the same thing if the opportunity presented itself. Hell, I did it last year. Now we complain at what NCAA seed we’ll get instead of just getting into the Tournament.

What I don’t really appreciate is media guys just assuming Lutz is seriously considering leaving and beating him over the head with it. It goes back to the old stepping stone school thing again which I can’t stand. If he leaves I’ll be sad but gratefull for where he’s brought the program, if he stays I’ll be one of the happiest Niners here.

I don’t know much about this contract stuff, but isn’t Lutz in the middle of a contract right now? Would the school that wants to hire him have to buy out his contract? Anyone clear this up.

[i]Originally posted by EE9er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 10:56 AM [b] I don't know much about this contract stuff, but isn't Lutz in the middle of a contract right now? Would the school that wants to hire him have to buy out his contract? Anyone clear this up. [/b]
Anyone that would want him would have to buy out his contract with us.

So if they want him, they have to want him enough to pony up the $$$.

[i]Originally posted by EE9er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 11:56 AM [b] I don't know much about this contract stuff, but isn't Lutz in the middle of a contract right now? Would the school that wants to hire him have to buy out his contract? Anyone clear this up. [/b]
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he only has a no bar out to coach the top 3 in the Triangle. Another school would have to buy out his contract, but the amount would be a mere pittance to the school.

Anyone know? I think his contract runs through 2009 (or is it 2012)…anyways, the new school would probably pay approximately a million to buy out the contract. I don’t think a big-time program is going to worry about that type of money.

Please nobody give me a hard time about how Lutz hasn’t done anything in the tournament to warrant buying out his contract. When’s the last time a rising star coach from a non-major conference who is now with a big school made it to the final four before he switched jobs? Consistently making it to the tournament normally makes a someone a big-time prospect coach (unless you sit beside Coach K on his bench).

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Mar 8 2005, 11:17 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Mar 8 2005, 11:17 AM)

This is secondhand, but I have been told if he goes to a team from a “bigger” conference the buy out clause could be voided. In other words, going to any league more prominent than C-USA, Charlotte gets nothing. I don’t know how that would be determined though. Smart contract move on his part if true.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 12:38 PM [b] This is secondhand, but I have been told if he goes to a team from a "bigger" conference the buy out clause could be voided. In other words, going to any league more prominent than C-USA, Charlotte gets nothing. I don't know how that would be determined though. Smart contract move on his part if true. [/b]
Smart move on his part but absolutely stupid on the school's part. That's worse than Memphis not signing that contract with C-USA.

Yep, it’s not likely Bobby would make what’s considered a lateral career move. Nor does anyone else for that matter. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 11:38 AM [b] This is secondhand, but I have been told if he goes to a team from a "bigger" conference the buy out clause could be voided. In other words, going to any league more prominent than C-USA, Charlotte gets nothing. I don't know how that would be determined though. Smart contract move on his part if true. [/b]
Even if this wasn't the case, I doubt it would be a huge deal for a couple of the schools in question to buy out his contract. They have the money to spend if they wanted him bad enough.

But if this is the case, I agree that it’s a smart move on his part and bad for the school.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Mar 8 2005, 11:38 AM [b] This is secondhand, but I have been told if he goes to a team from a "bigger" conference the buy out clause could be voided. In other words, going to any league more prominent than C-USA, Charlotte gets nothing. I don't know how that would be determined though. Smart contract move on his part if true. [/b]
I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but this is untrue. If we would leave for say NC State for example, they would have to pay up. We wouldn't allow such a clause and Bobby will look out for us, even if he does leave.

From the Basketball initiative letter:

“Both coaches have contracts that commit them to Charlotte for several years; Bobby through 2009 and Katie through 2008; however the marketplace dictates salaries and many large institutions do not hesitate to “buy-out” the remaining time on their preferential candidate’s contract”.

I like the proactive approach.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Mar 8 2005, 12:16 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Mar 8 2005, 12:16 PM)

Tennessee, TX A&M, etc are just bad moves. These are not basketball schools and if Lutz is frustrated with the excitement of the fan base now, he should coach a game in one of these places.

He has a good thing here and could build a legacy, just like Cheney did at Temple (please, no Goon jokes :wink: )…If he chooses to move on though, we will be just fine. We have been the last couple of times we lost a coach.

[b]I'm getting this secondhand, but apparantly Lutz was getting the third degree from the guy about leaving. Lutz left his options open, but the guy kept saying why don't you look at your predecesor Melvin Watkins and how the grass wasn't greener. The interviewer was talking about how at Tennessee or somewhere he would get gobbled up by football. And he was asking about money and Lutz was saying that more money wouldn't be bad.

I think he also said he would look at all the options but that he wanted to always be able to compete at the highest level of his conference. I think we all know that’s not the case at UT. Could be with Charlotte in the A-10, though.

Did anyone else hear this interview? Like I said, I got all this secondhand so if you heard it, please set me straight if I didn’t get the major points right. [/b]

I heard the entire interview this morning. First of all Lutz was not getting the third degree. The interviewer was our old friend Steve Czaban who is actually a fan of Charlotte and told Lutz that he is penciling us into the sweet 16.

Lutz did say that he has to do what’s right for his family and he would certainly listen to offers but emphatically stated multiple times that he is not looking. Czaban was brilliant by bringing up Watkins and saying that bigger is not always better. To that Lutz said he would definitely need to believe he could finish near the top of his conference every year. Lutz said that the Charlotte job was a great one and his family loves Charlotte but that this is a business.

Before all of the leaving stuff Czaban asked him if he had a new deal or extension and Lutz said no, that would love to see one, and it would also be nice to see a few more dollars (laughing while saying it).

This interview was great pub for Charlotte but was nothing new as far as Lutz’s coaching moves. If a top tier big program wants to talk to him he will listen. He loves Charlotte but at the same time recognizes there are advantages (money, prestige, power, success) in some other programs that are just simply not reality at Charlotte.

Thanks for clearing it up. We like Czaban. He really bought into Lutz and the program when he did Charlotte Sports Radio. Too bad he’s not still here.

I listen to him every morning, he is great. Knowledgable about sports and very funny.

Like I said, I got it all secondhand from a guy who doesn’t live in Charlotte so wouldn’t know who Czaban is. That changes everything.