Lutz on Katz' Tennessee Report Monday

Here’s the article guys, it’s still worth picking up if you’re in the Gaston County or airport area. Nice pic and nice article previewing the NC State matchup.

CHARLOTTE — Charlotte 49ers head coach Bobby Lutz has enough to worry about this week as his team prepares to face N.C. State in the NCAA tournament.
The last thing he needs is a distraction. But that’s just what he got on Monday night.
That’s when a report on ESPN’s SportsCenter linked him to the University of Tennessee’s head coaching vacancy, a job that opened up when the school fired Buzz Peterson on Sunday afternoon.
In a segment on potential replacements for coaches who were fired this weekend, Andy Katz, one of the network’s top college basketball analysts, reported that Lutz is a candidate for the Tennessee vacancy. Lutz was adamant on Tuesday that the report was untrue and a bit unfair.
“Obviously, everybody has a job to do,” Lutz said of Katz’ report. “But I don’t like the timing of it, especially when there’s no basis in fact. It’s speculation. They may like me, I don’t know, but they haven’t called me.”
Katz went on to proclaim that Lutz “has a lot of people working for him to get this job.”
Lutz was so bothered by that angle of the report he contacted Katz to set the record straight.
“I don’t know what he meant,” Lutz said. “I called him and told him that’s not true. Now, there could be people working that think I’m the right guy, but I’m not directing that in any way, shape or form. I don’t have an agent.”
In 2002, Lutz signed a sixyear contract extension and this past summer he added another year, which runs his current contract through 2008-09. Financial terms have not been disclosed, but Lutz’s contract also requires him to notify athletic director Judy Rose if he’s contacted about a job. Rose told a local newspaper last month she knew Lutz was a hot coachng commodity and wanted to do all she could to keep him at Charlotte.
Peterson’s contract at Tennessee could have been worth up to $900,000 annually if all the incentives were met. According to an Associated Press report, Peterson was guaranteed a base salary of $220,000 plus $329,500 in radio and television services and $220,000 in endorsements for a minimum total of $769,500. The university is currently working out details on paying a $1.4 million buyout of his remaining contract.
As for Lutz, he’s guided the 49ers to five NCAA tournament appearances in his sevenyear tenure. This year, he was one of 10 finalists for the Jim Phelan National Coach of Year award.
Meanwhile, between film sessions and practices, Lutz understands that he may now have to answer questions from his own players on the subject.
“I haven’t talked to them, but I will if they want to talk about it,” Lutz said. “I’ll talk to the captains, I guess. But to be honest, I haven’t even thought about it before now. To me, it’s just not that important right now. I don’t want that to be a distraction this week.”
With the firings of Peterson at Tennessee, and Steve Lappas at Massachusetts and Pete Gillen’s resignation at Virginia — all on the same day — it’s likely that the coaching carousel will continue to turn and that Lutz’s name will continue to surface.
That’s what happens when your team goes 21-7 and you don’t coach in one of the major conferences such as the ACC, SEC, Big East or Big 12. The 49ers, instead, will play in the Atlantic-10 next season.
“To be honest, it is flattering to know that there are people who think I’d be a good coach somewhere,” Lutz said. “It’s a compliment to our program, coaches and players. The University of Tennessee is a great university. But I’m proud of the job I have and I’m focused absolutely on my team and preparing them this week.”
While ESPN reported that Lutz was a prime candidate for the Tennessee job, another name mentioned prominently is that of Winthrop’s Gregg Marshall, who has guided the Eagles to seven successful seasons and another NCAA Tournament bid this week.

Gaston Gazette

It’s a pay site, though.

[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 10:08 AM [b] I think you guys will like what you read. Bobby Lutz personally called Andy Katz to set the record straight. [/b]
Good to hear. It looks like you need an paid account to read the Gaston Gazette online, though.

Apparently, Coach has been calling a lot of people. Herb’s press conference over at wolfpacker.com mentions Lutz calling Herb’s coaches show. :o :smiley:

It is a pay site Lefty, I’ll see if they mind if I post the article on here for you guys.

[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 10:08 AM [b] I think you guys will like what you read. Bobby Lutz personally called Andy Katz to set the record straight.

“Obviously, everybody has a job to do,” Lutz said of Katz’ report. “But I don’t like the timing of it, especially when there’s no basis in fact. It’s speculation. They may like me, I don’t know, but they haven’t called me.”

Gaston Gazette

It’s a pay site, though. [/b]

IF we get a win over NCSU, Lutz is gone… :frowning:

i don’t see where you get that at all. I disagree he said it was false, plus they are looking at many more coaches than lutz for that job, and I have heard that virginia is not even considering him.

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 02:24 PM [b] i don't see where you get that at all. I disagree he said it was false, plus they are looking at many more coaches than lutz for that job, and I have heard that virginia is not even considering him. [/b]
I just took a stroll over to UVA's board and they don't even mention Lutz. I would be more worried if UVA came calling than UT. UVA is a great school, in a good conference and they are building a brand new, state of the art arena. UT basketball is the 4th most popular sport at the school to football, women's b-ball, and baseball. Who wants that??

I have to agree Mr. Bojangles. Personally, I think the UT job is at best a lateral move for Lutz. Sure, you’re coaching in the SEC and scheduling is no longer your biggest headache, but it’s hard to beat teams when your arena is half-full. It just depends on what Lutz’ career goals are at this point. The move to the A-10 doesn’t help, but if really wouldn’t mind staying at Charlotte for his whole career, the reward might be a move to a bball-only Big East in 3-5 years.

However, he may not want to wait that long. But I don’t think his name is on UVa’s list at all. Of course, they’re pretty delusional mentioning Tubby Smith on that list, so who knows.

You know the other side of the "moving to the a-10"coin,is it might not be so bad for Lutz to be a big fish in a smaller pond. In my mind,the only way he leaves is for a good amount more money.If he does,more power to him,I would just hope he says that,rather than all the standard b.s. coaches come up with.

[i]Originally posted by CSW_Niner_News[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 10:08 AM [b] That’s what happens when your team goes 21-7 and you don’t coach in one of the major conferences such as the ACC, SEC, Big East or Big 12. The 49ers, instead, will play in the Atlantic-10 next season. [/b]
Well, Lutz has coached in one of the major conferences up to now. Geez! We're not talking football here... :rolleyes:

Charlotte is major but we’re not in one of the power conferences (Big 10, Big East, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Pac 10)

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 10:23 AM [b]Charlotte is major but we're not in one of the power conferences (Big 10, Big East, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Pac 10)[/b]
Actually, C-USA is considered on of the power conferences. From the Conference USA website:
[b]Along with the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC, Conference USA is one of the seven conferences having significant representation in the NCAA governance structure.[/b]
What it isn't is one of the so-called Big Six, which equates to BCS conferences. Of course, after July 1, C-USA will no longer be one. What could have been... :(

Is Lutz still coach? I thought he was fired last week.

Dang, I thought I had him blocked. I do now.

I guarantee you that Mike Anderson is UT’s number one candidate. Not because he’s a better coach, but because he’s got recruiting ties in that area and he’s attractive from a diversity standpoint . Plus, paying off Pete’s remaining $1.4 mil contract and buying out Lut’z last few years years would make it financially very difficult to justify.

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 12:44 PM [b] I guarantee you that Mike Anderson is UT's number one candidate. Not because he's a better coach, but because he's got recruiting ties in that area and he's attractive from a diversity standpoint . Plus, paying off Pete's remaining $1.4 mil contract and buying out Lut'z last few years years would make it financially very difficult to justify. [/b]
:toast:

I already had Early or Pierre penciled in for here. :rolleyes: If something did happen, those two are now my top 2 guys.

hee…hee.

Jerry Green doesn’t look so bad at this point.

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Mar 17 2005, 12:44 PM [b] I guarantee you that Mike Anderson is UT's number one candidate. Not because he's a better coach, but because he's got recruiting ties in that area and he's attractive from a diversity standpoint . Plus, paying off Pete's remaining $1.4 mil contract and buying out Lut'z last few years years would make it financially very difficult to justify. [/b]
I think that's a bad job for Anderson to take, too. Granted, he's staying in the watered down C-USA, but while everyone seems to be giving the championship each year to Memphis, I think UAB can win that conference every year. He's got a run to the Sweet 16 last year, if he can make a little noise this year, I think he gets consideration for better job than UT. If not, stay in Birmingham and stick it to Calipari every year. Isn't he a Nolan Richardson guy? Would he not want to go back to the Razorbacks at some point?

I agree, I don’t think the UT job is that attractive either. But Mike doesn’t make the same scratch that Bobby does…IMHO, it comes down to how much green either school is willing to shell out. Don’t think the Arkansas position will open up for a while.