Lutz on MSP This Morning

I missed the first segment so if anyone wants to recap, it would be nice. In the segment that I did hear however…

Lutz was asked who he thought the favorites were this season in C-USA and he mentioned L’ville (as well as them being mentioned to cut down NCAA nets), Cincy and Memphis. Said he has read some of the magazine projections and said that some would make for good locker room pinups.

Gary asked about Bennett and coach said that he’s still in school and doing really well. Said that because of Michigan incident, that he will not be able to play until next year. Lutz said they have appealed all that they can but there’s nothing more they can do. Said that was the extent of what he could comment on.

When asked about Withers, he said that he’s much faster and stronger now. Said that he learned a great deal in the offseason, to the point where he’s actually trying to coach too much. Said he will be a great leader this season. Coach was asked to rank Withers among the guys he has coached and Lutz said he’s definitely top 5 but still young and will only get better. Said that 7 NBA teams have already contacted them about Curtis.

They then asked Coach about Iti. Said that he is in great shape and not nearly as heavy (as we already knew). Said he’s running/jumping much better. Coach said there is a emphasis on keeping him lean this year and that Iti has really worked hard on his jump hook, while improving on it a good deal. Said he has a great attitude and wants to get better. He mentioned many of the offseason rumors and only stood by his claim that he only knew what Iti told him. And he never had reason to doubt Iti’s return. Said that the number one issue with Iti right now is foul trouble and that it’s been a problem in practice.

Coach closed with being asked about his golf game. Said he shot 70 twice over the summer and then went on to promote Midnight Madness.

That’s all I picked up…

Me too JCL.

Did they discuss the Canada trip in the first segment?

Great to hear Coach this morning. A few more things to add. The recruiting period just ended for visiting recruits. Coach just got back from the West Coast. He did not give any details on who he saw.

He mentioned the Canadian tour and the benefit of early practices.

The first question was regarding the Bobcats. He is glad their back and thinks they only help the city and the program. Adds to the pro city image. Also, fan base is different and he doesn’t see them hurting attendance. Also, the Bobcats and Niners are already partnering. VP of Communications, Chris Weiler is on the Ath Foundation Board.

On the move to the A-10. C-USA is becoming a two team league in basketball. The A-10 is much stonger (4 to 5 teams).

Baldwin gets his cast off in a day or two. Should be back by end of Oct.

I thought the comment regarding Iti’s weight was interesting. Essentially, he said he may have been playing with too much weight last year. May have hurt his movement. We should see a more agile 7 footer this year. Also, good to hear the jump hook is coming along.

I wish they would have gotten more thoughts on the team, including the new guys.

[b] Said that the number one issue with Iti right now is foul trouble and that it's been a problem in practice.[/b]

:hammer:

Anyone miss the input of TC??? Didn’t think so. I wonder if he got canned or left on his own.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:08 AM [b]
[b] Said that the number one issue with Iti right now is foul trouble and that it's been a problem in practice.[/b]

:hammer: [/b]

I thought he said they’ve been working on it with him in practice…

TC is gone. Don’t know what happened. Crazy business. They should stay on subject more often now, although Celania is not much better. People want to get information when guests are on. He wasted five minutes of coach’s 15.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:14 AM [b] Anyone miss the input of TC??? Didn't think so. I wonder if he got canned or left on his own. [/b]
Uhhhhh. NO.

I listened to FNZ for over an hour this morning. I didn’t even realize TC was missing/gone until you said this.

[i]Originally posted by s9er[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:14 AM [b] Anyone miss the input of TC??? Didn't think so. I wonder if he got canned or left on his own. [/b]
That Jackass is gone? Marvelous! Now if they can only drop that other idiot, Jim I may actually listed to the MSP again.

“Coach closed with being asked about his golf game. Said he shot 70 twice over the summer and then went on to promote Midnight Madness.”

Coach’s best round this summer was 70 twice! One time with rented clubs (K Mart irons, I believe he called them), and Moxley’s putter. Pretty freakin’ strong… Wish I had Coach’s job so I could work on my golf game! :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 07:45 AM [b] We should see a more agile 7 footer this year. [/b]
:grin: :grin: :grin:

If Iti is 7-0 I will eat my hat.

But it is good to hear that he’s possibly getting more mobile.

[i]Originally posted by jdm49er[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:07 PM [b] Coach's best round this summer was 70 twice! One time with rented clubs (K Mart irons, I believe he called them), and Moxley's putter. Pretty freakin' strong... Wish I had Coach's job so I could work on my golf game! :P [/b]
jdm, are you playing in the Alumni tournament on wed? I had mentioned it to TE but our team is full. Hope you guys can make it.
[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:26 PM [b] If Iti is 7-0 I will eat my hat.

[/b]

Iti’s “flirtation” with the draft proved that one not to be true when he got measured in Chicago. Not even close (but a lot closer than the little ol’ 5’9" runner that I am! :lol: )…

GO NINERS!!!