Lutz on MSP

Catch 49ers head coach Bobby Lutz, Wednesday morning on 610 AM WFNZā€™s ā€œMorning Sports Pageā€. Lutz and ESPN analyst Jay Bilas are scheduled to be in studio with Gary and Jim beginning at 8:00 a.m.

From charlotte49ers.com

Anything come out of the interview worth sharing for those of us out of the FNZ rangeā€¦10 miles from the tower. :smiley:

Its a really good segment but i cannot type that fast. Most of it youā€™ve heard. Some highlights were the entire Iraq trip segment they did (excellent), and Coach says that we have our toughest and best defensive team in years. He acknowledged that weā€™ve been bad on D for the past few years and feels this team can be solid on D, though probably not spectacular.

He also said that Deā€™Angelo is a supremely confident scorer. He is improving as an outside shooter but really excels with his midrange scoring and ā€œold schoolā€ ability to post up as a guard and score. Coach sounds really high on him.

They talked about Curtis some too - all stuff weā€™ve read here. Heā€™s the man, etc etc, has really developed and matured in his time here.

Jay Bilas did say that he thinks Shelden Williams is the best player in the country, in an unrelated discussion. Guess thereā€™s a chip for Curtisā€™ shoulder. Something to strive for.

he basically said our conference didnā€™t have any solid ā€˜final 4ā€™ teams, but GW was good then all the other good teams like dayton, xavier, etc.

I caught that and most of the iraq segment, very good. wonder if bilas will ever get into coaching, I think heā€™d be a good one.

Bilas probably would be a good coach, but Iā€™d hate to lose one of the few articulate talking heads there are in college hoops. Then weā€™d be left with more ā€œthatā€™s awesome baybeeee with a capital AAAAā€ (shoot me).

Lutz also mentioned using big and small line-ups. He said we will see both.

Big: Curt at 4, EJ at 3, DA at 2. (my bad)
Small: Curt at 5, EJ at 4, DA at 3.

Mitchell is healthy and will be a key player. I was suprised Bilas or Coach didnā€™t get Curt in the conversation when discussing first team all-americans. Curt would have to play his ass off but he has the tools to do it. The team must win big to have a shot.

Iā€™m glad to hear weā€™ll be better defensively. That should help us come tourney time.

Big: Curt at 5, EJ at 4, DA at 3.

Put Leemire in that lineup and that could be trouble. Reminder people, we only play the game with 1 basketball. haha

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 10:55 AM [b] Small: Curt at 4, EJ at 3. Big: Curt at 5, EJ at 4, DA at 3.

[/b]

Wouldnā€™t the small line up be the one with Curt at center?

[i]Originally posted by Cornbread[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 11:09 AM [b] [/QUOTE] Wouldn't the small line up be the one with Curt at center? [/b]
i was thinking the same thing..

Threemire will be more pass oriented this year, but he wonā€™t be afraid to shoot. I think youā€™ll like what you see from him.

[b]nd Coach says that we have our toughest and best defensive team in years. He acknowledged that we've been bad on D for the past few years and feels this team can be solid on D, though probably not spectacular. [/b]

I just nearly soiled myself. :clap: :clap: :clap:

[b]He also said that De'Angelo is a supremely confident scorer. He is improving as an outside shooter but really excels with his midrange scoring and "old school" ability to post up as a guard and score.[/b]

I like hearing this too because thatā€™s what he showed he likes to do this summer. He doesnā€™t jump through the gym, but heā€™s got a big frame for a 6ā€™4 guy. Not that he was the most athletic guy in the world, but I really liked Damon Baileyā€™s ability to post up when he was at IU. Would love to see someone here do a bit of the same.

The defense thing was nice to hear. He acknowledged that we tried to ā€œcover upā€ our poor defense the past few years by changing defenses to confuse teams. He didnā€™t come out and say it, but hopefully this means we wonā€™t be changing defenses as much this year. Iā€™d like to see us stick to man defense and maybe a 2-3 zone if we can play them both well. Changing defenses never seemed to work very well.

Not only did Bobby say that Deā€™Angelo is supremely confident, he said he is the most confident player heā€™s ever had. Thatā€™s hard to believe with some of the guys weā€™ve had latelyā€¦ I donā€™t remember Plavich or Demon ever thinking twice about pulling the trigger. Hopefully Deā€™Angelo has the skills to back up his confidenceā€¦ it sounds like he does.

My favorite part of the showā€¦
Gary: You get major run being on this program.
Bilas: I get more ā€œrunā€ by shouting out my car window.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 12:11 PM [b] My favorite part of the show... Gary: You get major run being on this program. Bilas: I get more "run" by shouting out my car window. [/b]
rofl. thats hilarious.

Play hard D, kick the ball down low to Curt, kick it back out if the low post is not there, take the three if itā€™s openā€¦CRASH THE BOARDS!!! If this team does this there will be a lot of smiles around NINER TOWN.

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 11:21 AM [b] [QUOTE=Cornbread,Oct 19 2005, 11:09 AM] [/QUOTE] Wouldn't the small line up be the one with Curt at center? [/QUOTE] i was thinking the same thing.. [/b]
Yes. Corrected. You got me. :D
[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Oct 19 2005, 09:25 AM [b] and Coach says that we have our toughest and best defensive team in years. He acknowledged that we've been bad on D for the past few years and feels this team can be solid on D, though probably not spectacular.

[/b]

Also, that we have to get more defensive stops and improve def rebounding. We were good on the offensive glass. Also, as many here pointed outā€¦Eddie was great defensively, especially off the ball getting in the passing lanes. We have to guard people on the ball.