Lutz on WFNZ Shortly

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 01:11 PM [b] Next thing you're going to tell us is that All In The Family is cancelled. [/b]
Oh my God! Tell me it isn't so!!! :weep:

Seriously, who watches when weā€™re on TV? Is it mostly us or does the casual fan tune-in in any sizeable numbers? Just curious as what the demographics are.

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 02:21 PM [b] the writing is on the wall folks. the excuse of being a new school won't hold water forever. neither is the "middle of ACC" country fairy tale. Memphis, Cincinnati, and countless others around the country are in hotbeds of other conferences and raise excellent funds. [/b]
Ok, I'm going with the "no football" excuse. Seriously, we would be an equal if we had D-1 football. I'm afraid that's the reality of it. Re alums in the area...it doesn't matter how many you have if they're not giving.
[i]Originally posted by run49er+Jan 19 2005, 02:24 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Jan 19 2005, 02:24 PM)
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 02:49 PM [b] Ok, I'm going with the "no football" excuse. Seriously, we would be an equal if we had D-1 football. I'm afraid that's the reality of it. Re alums in the area...it doesn't matter how many you have if they're not giving. [/b]
Equal with what? Equal to the four big ACC schools up the road if we only had a football program? If we had football, we would still be living in the shadows of the ACC. Just don't see it changing considering the history of those programs. The only thing that's going to cure what ails us is Father Time and winning on a regular basis with the programs that we [i]do[/i] have. The rest will take care of itself.

People need to get it out of their heads that weā€™re going to be on par with a schools like UNC or Duke anytime soon because itā€™s a pipe dream at this point and time. That may change years down the road but we have to crawl before we walk and those guys have one helluva headstart on us.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 02:49 PM [b] Re alums in the area...it doesn't matter how many you have if they're not giving. [/b]
and where do you point that finger?

you are making my point for me and donā€™t even realize it. :lol:

I hate that I missed this. I was actually in the car during their show, but just longe nough to get nothing but the top of the hour commercial fill. I never knew Lutz was on or I would have found an excuse to listen.

Anyway, building on what JCL says, I think thereā€™s merit to both what Lefty and Sandy said, but I think we tend to take viewpoints that are too extreme. The knee jerk and easy reaction is always all/nothing. You build the porgram by building on successes. What I mean is that you take advantage of opportunities when they come. And that permeates from the top all the way down to our players. When we have a big game, such as tonight, that could get us the national expsoure, our players and coaches have to execute and win it or we have no one to blame but ourselves. And similarly, when we do achieve some notoriety, (and hereā€™s where I sdiagree with Sandy), itā€™s our ADā€™s job to capitalize on it in the market. If we spend X number of weeks, seasons etc in the top 25, our management has to be able to capitalize on that to get us more exposure. Take a small success, and build on it.

Itā€™s a very fine line. If you just force feed like Sandy suggested, you risk a terrible, possibly even crippling financial inefficiency, and possibly some public/media backlash. Better to get a foot in the door of public interest, via some on the court accomplishments (Elite 8? Final Four anyone?), and leverage those for all they are worth and then some.

At least thatā€™s how Iā€™d try to do it, if it were me. It does start with winning though. Tonight is big, and the odds are not in our favor.

[i]Originally posted by metro+Jan 19 2005, 03:17 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (metro @ Jan 19 2005, 03:17 PM)
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 19 2005, 04:27 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 19 2005, 04:27 PM)
Originally posted by metro@Jan 19 2005, 03:17 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jan 19 2005, 04:05 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jan 19 2005, 04:05 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 04:58 PM [b] And believe it or not, over the last 6 seasons we are on par with UNC basketball as far as the RPI goes. If you go by the media biased AP poll, then you're right, it might take a long time to get on par.

[/b]

I couldnā€™t care less about polls. Iā€™m talking about student population, alumni base, booster club donations, banners (other than just getting a bid), TV exposure, name recognition outside of this market, recruiting, scheduling and the list goes on. THOSE are the areas where we arenā€™t even close to UNC, wonā€™t be for a long time and shouldnā€™t get caught up inferiority complex of any of those issues.

We have a good program and are heading in the right direction. But to suggest weā€™re on par with UNC or Duke is absurd. Could we beat them on any given night? Perhaps but that has nothing to do with my point. As much as I detest Mark Packer, I will agree with one thing he says when talking about the Niners: Forget about the ACC and be who you are and be proud of it. We worry way too much about what goes on up I-85 in my opinion.

I listened to some of this today. There were some people on the air who implied that the school would get more attention and support if they had football.

These people are as crazy as those nutholes who listen to Primetime.

Bottomline is simple and there are 2 points involved.

1. WINNING - Making the NCAA tourney is not an accomplishment for this basketball program. Making it out of the 1st weekend is.

Examples - Future A10 foes St. Joes & Xavier. Both have established themselves well in the national scene without football.

To achieve this goal, the program has to be good & lucky. Itā€™s been good several times. It hasnā€™t been very lucky, yet.

1. MONEY - According to past comments, Iā€™ve heard and readā€¦this basketball program is on the low end as far as revenues when its compared to other ā€œtop 30 teamsā€. Its starts with the AD but it should be the primary goal of someone in the Athletic Dept to pump the community (specifically alumni & local business leaders) for some dollars.

Assume for a moment, that whereever the revenue stream is today is the ā€œstatus quoā€. I would be interested in knowing what the school is doing to approach the local community and improve from the ā€œstatus quoā€.

I kinda get a kick out of reading the comments from Lefty and Metro. IMO there is some validity to both of them. In the last 10 years, this school has done a hellova job to get to where it is right now. BUT, at the same time, the hill the school is trying to climb is so damn steep there is a lot of work left. Iā€™m not sure that I see the same aggressive approach for the next 10 years that I saw over the last 10 years. I hope Iā€™m wrong.

To achieve this, the Athletic Dept doesnā€™t need to be nearly as lucky as they do to achieve my 1st point. But they do have to be good. Are they good?? I donā€™t know yet.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 05:21 PM [b] 1. WINNING [/b]
This is the biggest understatement ever. Winning on a consistent basis would eliminate 90% of the things Niner fans bitch about. Of course, the conversations on this site would be a lot more boring. :P
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 05:30 PM [b]Of course, the conversations on this site would be a lot more boring. :P[/b]
Yeah, we'd sound like Memphis fans.............. :lol:

Only, they DONā€™T win!

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 05:21 PM [b] In the last 10 years, this school has done a hellova job to get to where it is right now. BUT, at the same time, the hill the school is trying to climb is so damn steep there is a lot of work left. I'm not sure that I see the same aggressive approach for the next 10 years that I saw over the last 10 years. I hope I'm wrong.

To achieve this, the Athletic Dept doesnā€™t need to be nearly as lucky as they do to achieve my 1st point. But they do have to be good. Are they good?? I donā€™t know yet. [/b]

the real ā€œhillclimbā€ you refer to was going from the Sunbelt to Metro to CUSA in the mid 90ā€™s, and then we failed to secure our spot with the big boys of the NCAA, by wimping out of football during that time, now we are backstroking to the A10. The A10 sucks for us no matter how you slice it, unless you are on the side of ā€œthank god we donā€™t have to start football nowā€ as our athletic department is. The move to the A10 sets us back a decade. Judy admitted something at a golf outing about a year ago. She said she was relieved that the A10 would not ā€œpressureā€ us to have football. I am telling you guys, she looks for the path of least resistance instead of how to launch us forward.

Metro. That makes sense. Judy is just content on this program just getting in the ncaa tournament, instead of trying to win the whole thing.

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 06:24 PM [b]Judy admitted something at a golf outing about a year ago. She said she was relieved that the A10 would not "pressure" us to have football. [/b]
I would like to see football. But I'm not convinced the school has enough money to grow this basketball team. How is the current regime going to fundraise for football? IMO, not very well.

Evidence = O. Early going to Alabama, Lane Odom to Mizzou. Why canā€™t they get at least one Asst Coach who has previous experience at a major D1 program? Is it $$$ or something else? Moss & Hill seem like good guys, but just once Iā€™d like to hear that someone other than a former 49er player wanted to be an Asst. Iā€™m afraid that Plavich WILL FILL the next open asst coach position.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante+Jan 19 2005, 11:29 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SilvioDante @ Jan 19 2005, 11:29 PM)
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jan 19 2005, 06:20 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jan 19 2005, 06:20 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 11:42 PM [b] The one thing you say you agree with Packman about I disagree with. "Just accept who you are." It's insulting and condescending. What's wrong with wanting to have the best athletic program in the country? I think accepting equals defeat. [/b]
That wasn't my point, nor was it Packer's. It has nothing to do with just accepting mediocrity. I want us to have the best athletic program in the country as well. But I just get sick of all the ACC comparisons. Only worrying about ourselves shouldn't be insulting or condescending. Who cares what's going on up I-85? Just accept that we're the Charlotte 49ers (that's not a bad thing by the way) and build upon it. We can make the most out of what we are or we can constantly complain that we don't get treated like the ACC teams.

And accepting who we are doesnā€™t mean we have to remain at this level and be happy with it. It just means be happy with how far weā€™ve progressed as a program and be patient as we continue to grow.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 11:39 PM [b]Why would it be so bad for Plavich to be an asst. coach? I don't like his shot selection either but I don't discredit his b-ball knowledge.[/b]
1st of all, no disrespect towards Moxley, Moss & Hill. They are what they are.

But after taking a quick look at Cincinnati & Marquetteā€™s staff, here is what I found:

Cincinnati Asst. Andy Kennedy - Asst @ UAB & S. Alabama
Marquette Asst. Jason Rabedeaux - Asst @ Washington St. & Oklahoma, Head Coach @ UTEP
Marquette Asst. Bo Ellis - Asst @ Marquette & Head Coach @ Chicago St.
Marquette Asst. Jeff Strohm - Asst. @ Utah & N. Illinois

Now lets look at Charlotte:

Rob Moxley - Asst. @ Pfeiffer & Gardner-Webb
Benny Moss - Asst. @ Henderson St, Phillips Univ & Pfeiffer
Dalonte Hill - AAU Coach

Once again, I stress no disrespect is intended towards Lutzā€™ assistants. However, it is my opinion that he gets the best staff he can given his financial constraints.

Plavich as an asst. has nothing to do with shot selection. It has to do with having a staff of experienced D1 coaches.