Lutz's Latest Comments...

I would bet that Coach Lutz will make almost as much money during his first ten years as head coach at Charlotte as Melvin Watkins will during the same period. I will give you double or nothing that he will enjoy his job a lot more.

Texas A&M made Melvin a millionaire.

Coach seemed REALLY pissed in the Houston post game interview in reference to attendance.

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 9 2005, 09:30 PM [b] Coach seemed REALLY pissed in the Houston post game interview in reference to attendance. [/b]
Yeah I was listening to that also, seems just over 5k showed up for the game. He said he appreciated those who showed up and where loud, but you could tell he was upset. Or disappointed may be a better way to put it.

Damn, now heā€™s calling out the ACC again. Go coach!

Seriously though, WTF are we doing scheduling a home game on the same night of UNC-CH/Duke? That should be something we seek out and schedule around, if at all possible.

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 9 2005, 09:38 PM [b] Damn, now he's calling out the ACC again. Go coach!

Seriously though, WTF are we doing scheduling a home game on the same night of UNC-CH/Duke? That should be something we seek out and schedule around, if at all possible. [/b]

Thatā€™s the problem, it shouldnā€™t have to be re-scheduled around an ACC game.

There is no reason considering students and alumni around the area not to put up a better showing then that. No matter who is playing, if you attend UNCC the Niners should be your first priority, no excuses.

Iā€™m sick of hearing BS about being a fan of an ACC school first.

I hate the ACC as much or more than anyone else on this board, but I still acknowledge that what should be and what is is completely different. Complain about attendance all you want, but if we could have avoided this home game tonight and didnā€™t, then we made a mistake.

For the casual fan of college basketball (even one with no ACC bias), whatā€™s going to be more drawing? A good Charlotte expected to beat Houston or a huge rivalry the expected nailbiter that is UNC-CH @ Duke?

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 9 2005, 09:56 PM [b] I hate the ACC as much or more than anyone else on this board, but I still acknowledge that what [i]should be[/i] and what [i]is[/i] is completely different. Complain about attendance all you want, but if we could have avoided this home game tonight and didn't, then we made a mistake.

For the casual fan of college basketball (even one with no ACC bias), whatā€™s going to be more drawing? A good Charlotte expected to beat Houston or a huge rivalry the expected nailbiter that is UNC-CH @ Duke? [/b]

Yeah I understand what you mean. Itā€™s frustrating though. :frowning:

Hereā€™s the thing. A lot of people are going to regret coming out to see Charlotte 49er basketball this season when itā€™s all said and done.

I loved that Bobby took a shot at Gary Williams (of MSP) tonight in the postgame. He said ā€œMatt, Iā€™m sorry you had to go at it alone tonight. But with the UNC/Duke game on, it looks like you lost your color commentator.ā€

No mystery that Gary is a huge Tarheel homer. I like GWil but I thought it was funny that Coach said that and was well deserved. Iā€™d really like to believe that Gary didnā€™t opt to not work our game because the other game was on. Someone convince me that wasnā€™t the case so I have more respect for Gary.

[i]Originally posted by Roasty[/i]@Feb 9 2005, 09:30 PM [b] Coach seemed REALLY pissed in the Houston post game interview in reference to attendance. [/b]
I dunno if I'd say that. To paraphrase, Matt asked Coach about the game, why it was close in the 1st half, etc. He said that even though they talk about "getting over" the Cincy game, they really hadn't and the atmosphere was just so different. He said he appreciated the fans that did show up, but hoped the city would get excited about the team. He said "It's not an excuse, but it is a factor..." I don't know how pissed you can be when you have had numerous chances to really show up, but have blown them. Thankfully, we didn't do that tonight.

I agree. My wording wasnā€™t the best. That interview did tell us a lot, I think, about what is going on in Lutzā€™s head. Not the least important of which is that weā€™re good enough to hang with any ACC team. The way heā€™s been calling them out this year, I donā€™t think heā€™d leaveā€¦ he is irritated with them too much.

[b]I loved that Bobby took a shot at Gary Williams (of MSP) tonight in the postgame. He said "Matt, I'm sorry you had to go at it alone tonight. But with the UNC/Duke game on, it looks like you lost your color commentator."

No mystery that Gary is a huge Tarheel homer. I like GWil but I thought it was funny that Coach said that and was well deserved. Iā€™d really like to believe that Gary didnā€™t opt to not work our game because the other game was on. Someone convince me that wasnā€™t the case so I have more respect for Gary.
[/b]

There isnā€™t much to read into this. It was not a casual comment. Bobby likes Gary, but this has been an issue that has been brewing for a little while now.

[i]Originally posted by TheProvider[/i]@Feb 9 2005, 11:08 PM [b] There isn't much to read into this. It was not a casual comment. Bobby likes Gary, but this has been an issue that has been brewing for a little while now. [/b]
Then I feel they should just cut all ties with Gary. He no longer does Lutz Live and he seems to pick/choose the home games he wants to cover. I realize he had developed other obligations over the last couple years as his career progresses. But there's no reason whatsoever that we should only have one guy calling a home game. I can understand it on the road because of our budget. But at home, Matt should have a color guy to work with him, and preferably one that's not a diehard Tarheel fan. I think we should look to bringing in someone new, who can commit themselves to working every single home game with Matt. Just my opinion.

Did I hear GWill right yesterday when he said that he was going to St. Louis with Matt? I thought when they were talking about our schedule they mentioned St. Louis and Gary said, ā€œAnd Iā€™ll be down there for that.ā€

Maybe I heard wrong.

In any case Gary has only done a handful of games all year so I donā€™t know if Dook/Tar Holes was the reason he wasnā€™t there tonight. Gary does give our program run and is probably one of our biggest supporters at that station.

I agree though, Matt needs a color guy for every game. If Gary canā€™t commit to that for whatever reason then we need to get someone else.

If Lutz wants to go, pat him on the back, say ā€œNice jobā€, wish him well and get on with hiring another coach.

I donā€™t want to see him leave but if he feels itā€™s best for him, he should go. Life wonā€™t end and neither will 49er hoops. Hell, Melvinā€™s rich now, he may take another stab at it.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 07:39 AM [b] Did I hear GWill right yesterday when he said that he was going to St. Louis with Matt? I thought when they were talking about our schedule they mentioned St. Louis and Gary said, "And I'll be down there for that."

Maybe I heard wrong.

In any case Gary has only done a handful of games all year so I donā€™t know if Dook/Tar Holes was the reason he wasnā€™t there tonight. Gary does give our program run and is probably one of our biggest supporters at that station.

I agree though, Matt needs a color guy for every game. If Gary canā€™t commit to that for whatever reason then we need to get someone else. [/b]

Not sure if heā€™s going to SL or not. Donā€™t get me wrong, I like Gary and I think he has done a tremendous job of supporting us in the past, despite being a UNC fan. He has taken up for us numerous times and promoted our product, in an ACC-fan heavy listening audience.

But I do think we need someone who can work every single home game with Matt and travel to more road games, as money permits.

I donā€™t know the reason Gary didnā€™t work the game last night. But Iā€™m just stating what Bobby said to Matt last night and it was directly aimed at Gary, with the UNC/Duke game being referenced in relation to his absence.

Actually, someone just called in and called Gary out for not doing the Niner game last night with the Duke/UNC game on. Gary said he had a charitable event or something he had to attend. Wonder if Bobby knew that or why Matt didnā€™t mention it when Lutz made the comments?

I think the main concern coach has is the lack of fan support at non-sincy games. I believe if fans showed up/out at all games as they do for the sincy game we would NEVER fear losing him because all the other $tuff may not be so important to him as staying close to home and having a program that is FULLY supported by the students, fans and alumni (see dook). Ask him.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Feb 10 2005, 07:39 AM [b] Did I hear GWill right yesterday when he said that he was going to St. Louis with Matt? I thought when they were talking about our schedule they mentioned St. Louis and Gary said, "And I'll be down there for that."

Maybe I heard wrong.
[/b]

I also heard that Gary will be in St.L. However, I seem to recall that he will be there doing the game for C-SET.

My 2 centsā€¦ Gary is not the biggest promoter of 49ers hoops at FNZ. I noticed last season, as he started branching out to other opportunities, that his interest in the program started to decrease.