Maine A Non-Factor

Maine didn’t fare too well last night. He gave up 5 runs on 7 hits in 4.1 innings. He struck out 4 and walked 3. His record dropped to 2-5. Former Niner Joey Hammond played 1st base for the Lynx. Cocah Hibbs joined Sweriad for the radio call.

Yeah, I was there. Maine was hit HARD in the first inning. A couple of the outs were well hit line drives that an outfielder ran down. He calmed down some after that and was chugging along pretty well until the 5th or the 6th.

One thing I noticed about him is that he looks REALLY uncomfortable with baserunners on. He throws over to 1st way too often. It affects his pitching. He got hit hardest with a man or two on.

Also, I thought he could bring heat? He never clocked above 89. And that last pitch that got him chased was some kind of lazy 75 mph change that he grooved right down the middle. That Knights kid hit that ball a mile. It got out of there fast.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jun 18 2004, 09:39 AM [b] Also, I thought he could bring heat? He never clocked above 89. And that last pitch that got him chased was some kind of lazy 75 mph change that he grooved right down the middle. [/b]
I wouldn't read too much into the accuracy of the number that the Knights flash up on their outfield wall. I haven't been there this year. But I last year it seemed to be 3-4 MPH off.

Last season during a rain delay at another International League park, I asked a scout and he verified this observation.

Obviously Maine is struggling a bit in AAA. Its the first time he has been challenged in pro ball. AAA is virtually identical to the Bigs. It is his second full season. His curveball is one of the top 5 in all of pro ball- including the Bigs. And yes, the radar guns on scoreboards at minor and major league parks are bogus. He’ll be fine IMO. His fastball is 89-94 consistently…on real guns.

A friend of mine is a scout for the Mariners. He says the guns vary so much they carry their own…not that they are any better, but it gives you a point of reference

I was there too. Disappointing performance. I thought he was lucky to make it past 4 innings. Anyone going to Knights Stadium needs to realize that “Thirsty Thursday” is only for 1 or 2 types of beer, & the deal is not all that great.

:frowning:

I hope he can get it together and still make the 40 man roster, and then perhaps land in the big bigs by next spring.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jun 19 2004, 05:15 AM [b] I hope he can get it together and still make the 40 man roster, and then perhaps land in the big bigs by next spring. [/b]
Believe me, with the state of the O's pitching, several of us could make the 40 man roster!

He could take his current Triple-A ERA to the Orioles rotation right now and it would be good compared to what they currently have. He’s in a good organization to get to the top. I just hope he doesn’t hit the ceiling so hard that they knock him back down the Double-A later in the year.

Maine pitched 6 innings last night and got the W against Durham with 10K’s and no runs scored… Maine was up 9-0 before his bullpen allowed the Bulls to score 8 in the 8th and 9th innings.

Finally the Durham Bulls Back to Back Championship in the International League is being seen on the TB DRays! 12 W’s in a row.

Obviously Maine is struggling a bit in AAA. Its the first time he has been challenged in pro ball. AAA is virtually identical to the Bigs. It is his second full season. His curveball is one of the top 5 in all of pro ball- including the Bigs. And yes, the radar guns on scoreboards at minor and major league parks are bogus. He'll be fine IMO. His fastball is 89-94 consistently...on real guns.

I’m a f-ing genius!!!