Majerus' take on C-USA POY

As one who has monitered the media in every C-USA city over the past several years, I would concure with what Majerus said. The newspapers in Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee, and Memphis have all done much better in covering their respectives local college sports.

In the case of Cincinnati, they don’t skimp on either UC or Xavier. And Louisville has to cater to the Kentucky fans, as well as Indiana. Memphis has the spector of UT and the SEC and even Milwaukee has Wisconsin and the Big 10. Until this season, the Niners have pretty much been treated as 2nd-class by the Observer.

Is it time to stop starting new threads every time we get some pub?

I think not! But I will hold back this time and just add this here:

[i]Originally posted by Luke Winn[/i]@ SI.com [b] #12 Charlotte 49ers (17-4) Last season, BC's Craig Smith was the owner of the title, "Best Player No One Is Talking About." And Utah's Andrew Bogut looked as if he may inherit it this season ... until everyone started talking about him. Who, then, is '04-05's BPNOITA? I think 49ers forward [b]Eddie Basden[/b], who has 51 points and 21 rebounds in his past two games, is a strong candidate. Basden, who has a school-record 78 steals on the season, may very well be the national defensive player of the year, but he's also emerging as an offensive force. His scoring is up more than five points -- from 10.4 to 15.6 per game -- from '03-04. Next two: at Tulane 2/19, vs. Memphis 2/23. [/b]

They got the “next two games” wrong, but oh well. Link is:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ…ex.html?cnn=yes

I have to admit I took a little OOfense to the “not having a big name coach” comment and was ready to fire a email to Majerus to the effect of “What the hell have you ever done to be considered a big name coach, other that one final four and being really fat”.

Then I did a little research and his resume is very impressive and he is big time. I also remember meeting him at the final four in San Antonio and he was a real nice guy, so know I feel bad about the "fat’ comment.

In case your curious, here is his resume: Majerus resume

I don’t think Majerus meant that as a put-down of Lutz. Just as Basden is the BPNOITA, Lutz would get my vote as the BCNOITA.

Just think of all the coaches in Conference USA and who do you think the casual fan / talking head would mention right off the top of their heads? I suspect you would hear Pitino, Huggins, Calipari, Eustachy, Penders, and Crean mentioned before you’d hear the likes of Lutz, Leitao, Anderson, et al.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 25 2005, 10:05 AM [b] As one who has monitered the media in every C-USA city over the past several years, I would concure with what Majerus said. The newspapers in Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee, and Memphis have all done much better in covering their respectives local college sports.

In the case of Cincinnati, they don’t skimp on either UC or Xavier. And Louisville has to cater to the Kentucky fans, as well as Indiana. Memphis has the spector of UT and the SEC and even Milwaukee has Wisconsin and the Big 10. Until this season, the Niners have pretty much been treated as 2nd-class by the Observer. [/b]

Did you notice how I “innocently” asked this question at the beginning of the thread?

Run, I agree with you 100%.

[b]Over40NINER Posted on Feb 25 2005, 10:42 AM [/b]
[b]Did you notice how I "innocently" asked this question at the beginning of the thread?[/b]

You sir are always have ways with words. Especially, when it comes to how the disturber treats our beloved Niners. I really like that. B)
May be one day they will finally listen to you, move out of the RTP area to Charlotte and start spending more time covering us instead of making up excuses. Thanks a bunch for being “innocent”.

[b] Turnovers T7 - Francisco Garcia - 2.9 TOpg T14 - Eddie Basden - 2.5 TOpg [/b]

Hey forD thanks for breaking down all the stats between bad azz basden and garcia but the tournover thing is a little off don’t you think. Garcia is better than Eddie in the tournover category because he has more turnovers?? In that case eddie needs to start throwing the ball away more so he can be #1 in that category. Just proving that eddie is better in one more category.