Major NCAA changes coming?

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/27/ncaa-new-transformation-committee-changes

Imagine a college sports world where schools are able to offer each baseball player a full scholarship. Or if a football team’s on-field coaching staff could exceed 25 people.

What if the transfer portal was open to players for just three months out of the year? And what if the recruiting calendar featured no evaluation or quiet periods?

There is a distinct possibility these ideas could become more than just concepts

The committee’s ideas on deregulation were met with opposition from a wide swath of administrators. The moves to abolish restrictions on equivalency scholarships and coaching positions threaten to further widen the gap between the rich programs and those with lesser resources, some believe.

“Every G5 AD is like, ‘Holy s—!’” says one Group of 5 athletic director who attended the presentation.

“The gap is going to continue to widen,” says a G5 associate athletic director. “What does this look like a year from now? We had a facilities arms race, recruiting arms race and now NIL is its own arms race. It’s nuts.”

Surprised this didn’t elicit a more immediate reaction.

This is the type of gloom and doom stuff I’ve been predicting for a while. There is no way for the G5 to keep up if these changes are implemented.

I think it’s just paving the way for the P5 breakaway.

1 Like

Yeah I think a split is bound to happen. Hopefully some of the lower half of the P5 get left behind and are forced to join those of us left behind in division 2 or whatever it will be. Maybe we all just end up being back in the FCS. The last year or 2 have created an unscalable wall between the haves and the have nots.

clt is only watching us and AAC moving forward.

This is bull crap IMHO. The point of this is to dissuade these kids from going to that particular school. Transfer to another one that didn’t cheat. If you want to make it fair to them, waive any required redshirt year if they leave.

That proposed $30,000, expanded across 11,050 scholarships for those 130 teams, results in an outlay of $331 million annually. That’s approximately 33% of that $1 billion. Sound fair? NFL players earn 48% of the league’s revenue.

That hypothetical $30,000 wouldn’t be divided among 130 teams if the past couple of days are any indication of the future of college football. Think more like 40-50 when all shakes out.

A split seems likely. There’s a reason why D1 split into 1-A and 1-AA years ago. Football is the one sport where the gap is massive in multiple ways. Good example: Duke is a powerhouse in basketball, Virginia is a top program now too. Halton seats essentially the same as those 2 schools. Meanwhile The Rich isn’t even in the same Galaxy as Georgia or Bama and never will be. Even schools like Ok State and all the Boone Pickens money aren’t close to the top tier football schools. Football has needed 6 levels for a long time. D1 needs 3 levels. Then D2 which is fairly balanced then D3 needs 2 levels. Got my Master’s degree from a D3 school. They made the playoffs this year. Immediately destroyed round 1. College football across the board needs to be more spaced out and balanced. In Georgia we used to have 1 through 5A but football became too lopsided so they eventually went to 7A plus divided 1A into public and private divisions, so from 5 levels to 8. Now on a mini scale to college football the same issues are happening. The private schools get away with recruiting which the bigger ones are now forced to play up a level or 2 as out of district students count double etc., the big 7A and some 6A are routinely on ESPN or Netflix specials like Valdosta High causing a big gap between them and others and all of it because of 1 sport. College football is becoming a second pro league and high school football in Georgia (other states I’m sure too) is becoming mini college. Multiple schools now have indoor practice facilities. Even Charlotte doesn’t have one!!! It’s absolutely nuts…… and yet I attend games every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday lol

Tom Cruise What GIF

Kids will never graduate.

Next step is extending number of eligibility years.