Making the Jump

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19112305/conference-shuffle-creating-room-for-upstarts-to-make-jump-to-fbs

10 years - man am I glad we found a FBS home. Means even more now and makes the move to CUSA even more of a no brainer.

Just days after Old Dominion announced it was joining Conference USA, the school received more than $3 million in pledges to help make it happen.

Very impressive!! Their fan base ‘gets it.’

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:3, topic:26782”]

Just days after Old Dominion announced it was joining Conference USA, the school received more than $3 million in pledges to help make it happen.

Very impressive!! Their fan base ‘gets it.’[/quote]I wonder what kind of bump we received.

We got field house naming rights, but those might have been coming anyway, who knows there.

:: Waits for Powerbait to tell us why we should keep playing basketball in the A10 and let our football program rot away in some peewee FCS conference ::

Our school has no clue how to fundraise. We do it by going to the same well over and over again. A friend of mine told me he’d probably give to the school if they just asked. Problem is, they don’t. Makes me think they need people to work on the database. We need to keep in touch with our alumni - I don’t think we do a good job of that. The fact that our fanbase is not growing despite our alumni base growing rapidly is very disturbing.

Is it really that impressive what they’re doing? I see contributions not much more than ours and a gigantic subsidy. It’ll be interesting to see how our contributions shape up in the next coming fiscal years. Hope USA Today continues to update the numbers. I’m hoping we get north of $10M in combined sales and contributions once we’re FBS.

[quote=“NLP, post:7, topic:26782”]Is it really that impressive what they’re doing? I see contributions not much more than ours and a gigantic subsidy. It’ll be interesting to see how our contributions shape up in the next coming fiscal years. Hope USA Today continues to update the numbers. I’m hoping we get north of $10M in combined sales and contributions once we’re FBS.

[/quote]

We should def get up around there NLP, add into that licensing being worth way more and hopefully an increase in other revenue with some post season appearances. Plus the conference money coming in we should see a drastically different money line in the next 5-7 years.

Impressive along the lines of gaining $3 mill in support in 1 day. I would hope that if results were similar here after the announcement that they would have been made public.

I would love to hear an FSL/ increased contributions update. Would be a good story for a local beat writer to look into…

[quote=“austinniner, post:6, topic:26782”]Our school has no clue how to fundraise. We do it by going to the same well over and over again. A friend of mine told me he’d probably give to the school if they just asked. Problem is, they don’t. Makes me think they need people to work on the database. We need to keep in touch with our alumni - I don’t think we do a good job of that. The fact that our fanbase is not growing despite our alumni base growing rapidly is very disturbing.[/quote]Hook the brother up. Call the Athletic Foundation office and give them his contact info and ask them to call him.

It wasn’t 3 million in a day. It was 3 million since their name popped up in the FBS discussion. In reality it was like 3 million in two weeks.

Still impressive, but it wasn’t 1 day.

who here sent in a check based on our bump or bought an fsl?

I know many of us are shouldering a lot with the FSL’s and other donations, season tickets etc. That’s how these things get built though. $3 million from ODU donors likely came from those already carrying the torch.

[quote=“ninerID, post:12, topic:26782”]who here sent in a check based on our bump or bought an fsl?

I know many of us are shouldering a lot with the FSL’s and other donations, season tickets etc. That’s how these things get built though. $3 million from ODU donors likely came from those already carrying the torch.[/quote]I think you are on the right track here. It is probably best to compare the $5 million we quickly raised with FSLs to the $3 million they received in the FBS move.

[quote=“ninerID, post:12, topic:26782”]who here sent in a check based on our bump or bought an fsl?

I know many of us are shouldering a lot with the FSL’s and other donations, season tickets etc. That’s how these things get built though. $3 million from ODU donors likely came from those already carrying the torch.[/quote]

Paid off my original FSLs and added another since the announcement.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:14, topic:26782”][quote=“ninerID, post:12, topic:26782”]who here sent in a check based on our bump or bought an fsl?

I know many of us are shouldering a lot with the FSL’s and other donations, season tickets etc. That’s how these things get built though. $3 million from ODU donors likely came from those already carrying the torch.[/quote]

Paid off my original FSLs and added another since the announcement.[/quote]

Yup the announcement really pushed my timetable on adding the third.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:14, topic:26782”][quote=“ninerID, post:12, topic:26782”]who here sent in a check based on our bump or bought an fsl?

Paid off my original FSLs and added another since the announcement.[/quote]

Same here paid off the first and added a second.

Please STOP IT with the “they’d give if they were asked” crap. WHY? Just give, dammit!

I bought 4 the week after the announcement.

Please STOP IT with the “they’d give if they were asked” crap. WHY? Just give, dammit![/quote]

I do agree with that - however there is a part of people that think well if they aren’t asking for help they don’t need it then. So yes people should just give and on the other hand we need to do a much better job of making all of our alumni feel like a needed part of the puzzle.

Please STOP IT with the “they’d give if they were asked” crap. WHY? Just give, dammit![/quote]
One of the biggest drivers of sales is simply asking. Asking someone if they want (to do) something can be enough to get them to want (to do) it.

I agree tho, in a perfect world people would just give.