Marketing a football program in one simple email

[center][/center]

This is a copy of an email I received last night. It’s for NEXT season, not the current one. I must admit, I don’t know how Gardner-Webb is part of the best home schedule, but I’m sure they’re just concerned about that nice paycheck from Winston-Salem.

Instead, the Charlotte 49ers athletic department would rather post Twitter messages telling their followers to go to the local Target to purchase gear, instead of promoting a corporate sponsor/donor who contributes more than just a little bit of Collegiate Licensing fees.

Zing

Wife and I are discussing getting season tickets to Wake next season just for the VT and Notre Dame games.

Only problem is we are 3 years away and our schedule is more than likely, not complete. We can steal the headline of “best home schedule in the history of Charlotte football.”

Hell with the way State is playing it may be a better game than Va Tech- I guess we’ll find out this weekend. ND is always overrated, but it would be fun to go for next to nothing (relatively speaking). I thought about getting tickets to Duke so I could see Alabama, etc.

I can’t help but laugh when teams have to use other teams to market to fans. Says alot about your fanbase…us included :frowning: .

Laugh if you choose to do so, but they own the Triad area and blanket the radio/TV with ads every day.

Even the elite use who they’re playing to market ticket sales. I mean, if I’m a non-diehard fan, who cares about going to watch the nationally ranked hometown team whoop up on patsies. What’s fun about that? Fans and non-fans get excited about challenges, and not games that they “should win” unless it happens to be a rivalry.

Even the elite use who they’re playing to market ticket sales. I mean, if I’m a non-diehard fan, who cares about going to watch the nationally ranked hometown team whoop up on patsies. What’s fun about that? Fans get excited about challenges, and not games that they “should win” unless it happens to be a rivalry.[/quote]

Yup which is why our current basketball schedule sucks so hard… even though overall it is slightly better than last year.

Even the elite use who they’re playing to market ticket sales. I mean, if I’m a non-diehard fan, who cares about going to watch the nationally ranked hometown team whoop up on patsies. What’s fun about that? Fans get excited about challenges, and not games that they “should win” unless it happens to be a rivalry.[/quote]

Yup which is why our current basketball schedule sucks so hard… even though overall it is slightly better than last year.[/quote]
DOBA…The game vs UT at Bobcats arena is huge selling feature for season tix IMO.

I guess MLB teams suck when they say the Yankees are coming to town.

That’s great that they are promoting next season and I’m sure they are expecting a jump in sales considering the ACC teams and Notre Dame coming to town. Not sure exactly how that relates to us, unless HP’s point was that they market their team better than us…I would assume we would continue to see communication on football as more and more teams are scheduled, coaches are hired, ground is broken etc. There was a great deal of communication last week in regards to the Campbell announcement.

Even the elite use who they’re playing to market ticket sales. I mean, if I’m a non-diehard fan, who cares about going to watch the nationally ranked hometown team whoop up on patsies. What’s fun about that? Fans and non-fans get excited about challenges, and not games that they “should win” unless it happens to be a rivalry.[/quote]

You’re correct about fans getting excited about challenges but you never see elite programs advertise their opponents like this because they don’t need to. Hence being an elite program. Everyone that buys Florida or LSU tickets knows Bama and etc. is on the schedule. Even when someone like Florida plays a Notre Dame, it’s just another game to them. Wake Forest is simply using the allure of a big time program to generate sales. What must be done must be done but it just says alot about the fanbase.

Why? Its not like its going to sell out TWC arena… We’ll be able to get walk-up tickets. If it were in Halton it may be a different story.

Why? Its not like its going to sell out TWC arena… We’ll be able to get walk-up tickets. If it were in Halton it may be a different story.[/quote]

If you have a season ticket, you get a lower level seat at the Cable Box, that’s the selling point. Upper level seats will be for the walk-up crowd. I hope TWC Arena will be advertising this game at the Bobcats games leading up to 12/17

Even the elite use who they’re playing to market ticket sales. I mean, if I’m a non-diehard fan, who cares about going to watch the nationally ranked hometown team whoop up on patsies. What’s fun about that? Fans and non-fans get excited about challenges, and not games that they “should win” unless it happens to be a rivalry.[/quote]

You’re correct about fans getting excited about challenges but you never see elite programs advertise their opponents like this because they don’t need to. Hence being an elite program. Everyone that buys Florida or LSU tickets knows Bama and etc. is on the schedule. Even when someone like Florida plays a Notre Dame, it’s just another game to them. Wake Forest is simply using the allure of a big time program to generate sales. What must be done must be done but it just says alot about the fanbase.[/quote]

It’s a chicken-egg comparison. The elite sports schools have more diehard fans from their years of winning, and thus don’t have to advertise near as hard or near as much. Their product sells itself. When you’re not in that position, such as Wake Football and Charlotte basketball, you’ve got to be a lot more creative with your advertising methods and the frequency of those methods.

I still can’t believe the UT game is IN the season tix package. You’d think another building, another excuse to charge more $$$.

Why? Its not like its going to sell out TWC arena… We’ll be able to get walk-up tickets. If it were in Halton it may be a different story.[/quote]
Walk up prices will be 5x your “per ticket price” if you divide your total nut by # of games, its a heli-bargain. Say you buy Harris Teeter season tix for $275. Thats $69 per seat for entire year. Divide that by 16 games = $4 per seat at TWC.

Did you go to the Wake or Maryland games on season tix? I did, and my seats rocked. No way I could get those dirt cheap on game day. Lower was sold out.

If I were presenting this, I would say for $275 you get 4 lower primo seats at TWC vs UT and 15 games at Halton free

…engineers :rolleyes: ;D

Blanket the airwaves–yes. Own the Triad–hardly. There are 3 Tarheels for every one Deacon in Winston Salem.

Walk up prices will be 5x your “per ticket price” if you divide your total nut by # of games, its a heli-bargain. Say you buy Harris Teeter season tix for $275. Thats $69 per seat for entire year. Divide that by 16 games = $4 per seat at TWC.

Did you go to the Wake or Maryland games on season tix? I did, and my seats rocked. No way I could get those dirt cheap on game day. Lower was sold out.

If I were presenting this, I would say for $275 you get 4 lower primo seats at TWC vs UT and 15 games at Halton free

civil engineers :rolleyes: ;D[/quote]

As a Mechanical Engineer, I had fix that. That’s what you get for wearing orange Ben!

civil engineers ::slight_smile: ;D[/quote]

As a Mechanical Engineer, I had fix that. That’s what you get for wearing orange Ben![/quote]As a double E, thanks CPip