Marketing Department

[quote=“J Felt, post:20, topic:29378”][quote=“ninerqb, post:19, topic:29378”]the stuff you see at Target and the bookstore is garbage. Zephyr hats, Champion t shirts. I think i saw a Jansport sweatshirt one time in bookstore. Jansport is from the early 90’s.
need to get on board with New Era, Nike dry Fit, Under Armor.
We need to hire someone from a big time school that has experience in this.[/quote]You can get plenty of Nike Drifit and UA stuff in the bookstore.[/quote]
Just don’t try to order any of it online. What a pain in the ass.

Who does the Marketing Department report to?

Nick Kowalcik I believe

[quote=“J Felt, post:20, topic:29378”][quote=“ninerqb, post:19, topic:29378”]the stuff you see at Target and the bookstore is garbage. Zephyr hats, Champion t shirts. I think i saw a Jansport sweatshirt one time in bookstore. Jansport is from the early 90’s.
We need to hire someone from a big time school that has experience in this.[/quote]You can get plenty of Nike Drifit and UA stuff in the bookstore.[/quote]It’s not hard to have all the inventory cataloged on the site, it amazes me that we don’t.

Its true, our bookstore and online merchandise sucks. I don’t know but who makes the selections for our store but it is so weak. That entire floor should be filled with merchandise not 2/3 of it. I grew up a Tennessee football fan but now pull for my Niners as well. Someone from our school needs to go to look at bookstores like that to get a good idea of what a good selection looks like. Hell even ECU is a lot better than us.

The Athletic Dept does not have anything to do with what the bookstore, Target, or Finish Line sell. We are signed up with the Collegiate Licensing Company and basically anyone can pay to put our logo on merchandise. Retailers will stock whatever they can sell.

clt is most concerned about the lack of consistency.

The athletic marks should NEVER be used with any thing other than Charlotte. No UNC Charlotte or UNCC.

[quote=“Nugget, post:26, topic:29378”]The Athletic Dept does not have anything to do with what the bookstore, Target, or Finish Line sell. We are signed up with the Collegiate Licensing Company and basically anyone can pay to put our logo on merchandise. Retailers will stock whatever they can sell.[/quote]Wish the AD would launch their own store and place a store in Halton.

I disagree. I think the merchandise in the bookstore is pretty good. Unfortunately, most of it is not shown in the “online store” for some reason. Also, I have been in ECU’s bookstore (2 years ago). Its not really all that much better.

[quote=“ninerqb, post:19, topic:29378”]the stuff you see at Target and the bookstore is garbage. Zephyr hats, Champion t shirts. I think i saw a Jansport sweatshirt one time in bookstore. Jansport is from the early 90’s.
We need to hire someone from a big time school that has experience in this.[/quote]
Some of you guys…you always want to have a large range of merchandise, from “walmart quality to top of the line”. If you ONLY have top-notch, you’re not going to sell very much.

Has the marketing program ever teamed up with the business school be it either undergrad or grad? Seems logical to offer some type of credit and at same time give students a chance to develop some marketing ideas for the AD. Just a thought.

Whoa now… Let’s not do anything too crazy.

Whoa now… Let’s not do anything too crazy.[/quote]Sports Marketing Association has been involved with the AD for years.

Whoa now… Let’s not do anything too crazy.[/quote]Sports Marketing Association has been involved with the AD for years.[/quote]

Then it was the academic side they weren’t involved with. There was an article a few years ago, I think before the Stake your Claim Campaign that mentioned that there had not been a campus wide marketing campaign and that the school had ignored the internal resources to assist with such a campaign. If sports has been using them and this is the result not sure if thats a good thing looking at the result?

clt says we r Charlotte.

They can’t. Only Barnes & Noble can sell stuff on campus. I believe 49erFanatics.com tried. I can’t blame B&N, they pay for the right to be the sole vendor.

Whoa now… Let’s not do anything too crazy.[/quote]Sports Marketing Association has been involved with the AD for years.[/quote]
Then they suck at it.
I was just curious as the capstone course I took while at Charlotte was working with one of the banks downtown. I was just thinking maybe something like that could be done between the business school and the AD. It sure as heck couldn’t hurt.

They can’t. Only Barnes & Noble can sell stuff on campus. I believe 49erFanatics.com tried. I can’t blame B&N, they pay for the right to be the sole vendor.[/quote]
The A.D. can build a “storefront” and sell stuff in Halton just like they do now with temporary stands at the bball games (they essentially do this at the football stadium already).
Also, some schools have stores in off-campus locations with high visibility. I have always thought we should do that. Maybe in the University area on Harris Blvd, UC Blvd or N. Tryon. Imagine a Big bright 49er neon logo out front. It would get attention and I guarantee increase sales over what we do now. We have a small “bookstore” at the downtown location now too, that I think sells a little bit of merchandise.

We don’t have a Marketing Department people. We’re never going to have a Marketing Department. The current and past administrations have been perfectly happy with what we already have and they don’t care enough to increase our visibility. They will not change what they don’t think is broken.

Couldn’t help myself, but I went to our online store, through our athletics website and looked at the polo’s and then the sweatshirts. There were 3 polo’s! All Ralph Lauren and $95! Then I went to the sweatshirts. There were 5 sweatshirts! Four of which were women’s! Just to compare, I went to App State’s athletics website and visited their online store. Which I feel is a fair comparison, in terms of what our selection should at the VERY LEAST be. I checked their men’s polo’s and sweatshirts. Which they actually have distinguished between men’s and women’s. We of course, do not. They had 20 men’s polo’s, with a good selection of Nike and UA. They had 61 men’s sweatshirts. 61! If anyone has any ability to let someone within the athletics department see this, they should be extremely embarrassed. I for one am. On top of being extremely agitated! >:D