Marshall Away Game 1-16-20 7:00 Tip

we played good in the first half but i think we can play much better. we need to take care of the basketball better

1 Like

Jahmir Young is going to be really, really good here.

Pretty good game last night. I felt like in the 2nd half Marshall was able to dictate pace a little bit more. I think our guys played a little bit faster at times because of the openings that Marshallā€™s defense allows. I am a little disappointed in Shepā€™s play. He is not protecting the basketball and seems to try to be too cute with it at times. One missed layup last night he seemed more about his style of approach to the layup vs. making the layup. He is kinda the opposite of a guy like Robb where Robb doesnā€™t look good doing it often, but he gets it done. Good to see some guys got a few minutes off the bench. Going to need that more maybe as this stretch goes on. A win is a win so I hope they keep it going against WKU. WKU spent a lot of energy against ODU which is good. Now we need to beat WKU handily and have ODU/Marshall go into OT.

While Marshall was able to dictate pace, it didnā€™t seem like Sanchez was concerned about Charlotteā€™s pace picking up. In fact there were times I would have expected him to be calling for them to slow down after a turnover or rebound, and instead it seemed like he wanted them to push the ball up. I saw some diversity in our attack last night and Iā€™m loving that.

2 Likes

He said on his postgame that on one of the first half tv timeouts that he told them they were playing a dangerous game running with Marshall and they should slow down. He also said heā€™s fine with good shots early in the clock and told Coop when he came off the floor that if heā€™s going to take those contested pull-up shots like he did in the first half that he better make them.

I wish he would do this a little more often when we need a jolt. The game against Apple State was one of those instances.

2 Likes

Happy we won, but that 50 pts allowed in the 2nd half is an ugly number.

So was the 3-11 FTs down the stretch.

Team played really well before that. Bamba, Robb, Youngā€¦ The whole team played well.

2 Likes

iā€™m proud of this team but sanchez has to address us allowing 50 points in the second half yesterday. this canā€™t happen if we want to win consistently. otherwise, good first half, up and down second half. hopefully our guys arenā€™t tired bc WKU is a pretty tough team.

Seems to be a common occurrence. Iā€™m sure the guys get tired & let up a little at times in the second half. Opponents also probably adjust a little in the second half. The good thing is that we are winning & there are still a ton of things we can improve on. Overall things are definitely headed in the right direction.

Saw some of the game. Bamba was impressive early on, he is a smart player, knows how to position to set himself up, hit some nice shots, and a very good passer. Iā€™m excited to see what he can do this year. Still really impressed with Young, looking forward to seeing him develop his game.

Marshall tried to press us some, and it worked on one play, but mostly it was handled because we had at least 3 good ball-handlers on the floor at the same time.

Defense was overall pretty good again. Marshall missed some open looks from 3, so that helped some. The 2nd half Marshall did put up more points, but 15 of those came in the final 2-3 minutes. We seem to let teams do that at the end, hopefully it doesnā€™t come back to bite us.

Iā€™m not ready to get too excited yet, weā€™ve had home games and a weaker slate recently. But itā€™s hard not to get a little excited about possibly finally putting together a good conference season.

They were tired.

Also, Marshall scored 17% of their point in the last 120 seconds of the game.

Our guys contested threes and the twos we were letting them shoot werenā€™t going to hurt us if we were making free throws.

They had 45 points with ten minutes left in the game. The defense we played in the first 30 minutes allowed us to suck for the last five minutes.

2 Likes

This is spot on. We played pretty good in the 2nd half, just let up a little at the very end. I really like the direction this team is headed in. Some of us seem like we need to enjoy it more, itā€™s like we are waiting for it to collapse (rightfully so).

Sanchez I think is the real deal, and we will be tough to beat in the conf tourney. Proud of these guys for their work in making this system progress.

1 Like

Defense takes a lot of energy. Building depth will cure any late game swoons.

We have to believe in Sanchezā€™s process. He took over a 6-23 team with mostly walk ons late in his first recruiting season. Last year we moved to 8 wins but lost 7 games by less then 6 points and only had 5 conference wins. Now in his second season, we stand 10-5 with 14 games left and 4-0 in conference. 5 more wins breaks our streak of losing seasons at 5 straight. 8 more wins gives us our most wins since we returned to conference USA.

So yes, these players are letting these teams back into games but they are winning. Is it going to bite them in the butt sometimesā€¦absolutely. However, they are winning and winning breeds confidence. Iā€™m sure coach is preaching the same things you are to the players in film sessions and practice.

So for right now, Iā€™m going to enjoy the success and enjoy the feeling that we can win these games.

9 Likes

It feels great expecting to win

1 Like

I believe this is one of the most important pieces. It is why Healy makes his team celebrate successes and victories. Winning and losing are not the same and they need to feel different. The hoops team is learning how to win. It is probably fortunate that Sanchez didnā€™t inherit a senior team that was very experienced in losing.

clt says you play to win the game

Bottom line is, defense travels and doesnā€™t have off nights. If this team could rebound it would be extremely dangerous. Just needs a little more size.

Sanchez has done an extremely good coaching job thus far with little fan fare. Iā€™m glad heā€™s not a guy that needs it or looks for it.

Things are looking up.

Marshall Message Board

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-fans/mu-vs-uncc-thread/

Postgame interview uploaded? Still havenā€™t seen it.

1 Like