Maryland Message Board

did SIU Wake and Davidson see us as cupcakes? or a program that should never beat one at their stature (at least at their given time)

I love uninformed smack talk.

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;280503]did SIU Wake and Davidson see us as cupcakes? [/QUOTE] Many Wake fans did. They’ve been conditioned to do so. It’s not really their fault. They only know what they hear and read.

We could have been to the Sweet 16 the past 5 years in a row and many acc fans would still have this attitude. They’ve been “conditioned” throughout the years to think like this. I can understand this thought process happening in another city, but it should (have) never happen(ed) here in Charlotte.

We could have been to the Sweet 16 the past 5 years in a row and many acc fans would still have this attitude. They've been "conditioned" throughout the years to think like this. I can understand this thought process happening in another city, but it should (have) never happen(ed) here in Charlotte.

I agree with you completely.

I’ll be honest though, I always loved going into a game as the underdog… EVERYONE LOVES THE UNDERDOG…

plus we could be favored by 15 pts. and they would still think we will be easy and that we are the “underdog” - Over the last couple years, I’ve gotten used to this.

I dont know about you guys, but this team is last in the ACC and below us in the RPI. We should take care of this cupcake at home. I mean hell, the ACC only has 2 top 25 teams…what a joke. And one of them lost to Pitt…isn’t that the team Dayton just smashed at home?

Speaking of a “smash”, Clemson did it the Crimson Tide last night at Alabama.
I dread our encounter with the Tigers.

There was a prick from Hickory, something Teague, who wrote a letter to the editor last week. I need to look him up, & mail him a dirty letter.
He said why does UNCC need football when they can’t win at basketball? We were 7-4 at the time, & have been to 6 tourneys in the last 10-11 years, but yet this Teague a55hole from Hickory says we can’t win at basketball.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;280511]There was a prick from Hickory, something Teague, who wrote a letter to the editor last week. I need to look him up, & mail him a dirty letter.
He said why does UNCC need football when they can’t win at basketball? We were 7-4 at the time, & have been to 6 tourneys in the last 10-11 years, but yet this Teague a55hole from Hickory says we can’t win at basketball.[/QUOTE]
Be my guest. You’re welcome to use this for a lead-in.

Dear Mr Teague, I read your letter and for some reason got the impression you have no clue what you're talking about. I only have one question. Which Middle School did you flunk out of?

And when you say “letter to the editor”, which paper are you talking about? Charlotte’s or Hickory’s?

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;280511]There was a prick from Hickory, something Teague, who wrote a letter to the editor last week. I need to look him up, & mail him a dirty letter.
He said why does UNCC need football when they can’t win at basketball? We were 7-4 at the time, & have been to 6 tourneys in the last 10-11 years, but yet this Teague a55hole from Hickory says we can’t win at basketball.[/QUOTE]

I guess we should take football away from App and ECU also because they can’t win at Basketball either.

I guess we should take football away from App and ECU also because they can't win at Basketball either.

Take football away from NC State. They can’t beat ECU…but even if their basketball program is #1 in the country…seriously…take football away.

Some ignorant moron posted a thread that says “Charlotte and Holy Cross - We’re their superbowl”

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

again…maryland is behind us in RPI, and last in the ACC. the only super bowl they’re playing in right now would be the toilet bowl. maybe they’ll make the new postseason tourny…

again..maryland is behind us in RPI, and last in the ACC. the only super bowl they're playing in right now would be the toilet bowl. maybe they'll make the new postseason tourny..

is it bad to say that I would prefer to be in the Big East or SEC than the ACC?

I feel like a good example of whats going on with all this ACC smack talk we heard from Wake, now Maryland, and of course hear all the time from Carolina is summed up in the following. Have you ever met someone who is incredibly wealthy, has everything they ever wanted or needed, and could easily buy your home 10 times over without ever having to take out a lone, yet you never would have known it by talking to them? And then have you ever met someone like that, only they flaunt it unbelievably, and make sure that they one up you every second and make you feel that they are superior and you could never touch them?

Which one has more class? Which one do people like? And which one does EVERYONE hate?

I feel like the second is what the ACC has become, at least from my dealings with fans (walmart as well as students/alumni) of Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, and now Maryland. I sense a lack of class that I pray our students/alumni as well as off the street fans never show. I know that we are at fault with some of our fans, especially with some displays of classless behavior I saw at the High Point game earlier this year, but as a whole I feel like we carry ourselves well, and act with class. As a student and eventually an alumni of this University, as well as a life long fan of Charlotte athletics, I pray that we always maintain our class and good sportsmanship. I never want to hear ourselves shoot out such ignorant statements as “this is their super bowl” etc. - it only shows a fear that you may be shown up and not really be who you think you are.

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;280536]is it bad to say that I would prefer to be in the Big East or SEC than the ACC?

I feel like a good example of whats going on with all this ACC smack talk we heard from Wake, now Maryland, and of course hear all the time from Carolina is summed up in the following. Have you ever met someone who is incredibly wealthy, has everything they ever wanted or needed, and could easily buy your home 10 times over without ever having to take out a lone, yet you never would have known it by talking to them? And then have you ever met someone like that, only they flaunt it unbelievably, and make sure that they one up you every second and make you feel that they are superior and you could never touch them?

Which one has more class? Which one do people like? And which one does EVERYONE hate?[/QUOTE]
I once made a similar post and one of OUR posters replied that I had an inferiority complex toward the acc. I’m pretty sure I’ve been to more acc games than anyone on this board (including numerous acc tournament games).

I can tell you that ALL acc fans do not feel this way… but the number seems to be steadily growing. Like I said, it’s not all their fault. They’ve been conditioned to think this way.

The “we are their Super Bowl” statement was used by some Wake fans this year and also 2 years ago. One problem is many acc fans are basically pretty ignorant with basketball knowledge. Sure… they can quote Billy Packer, but they don’t realize Billy is selling the conference. Also… to my knowledge, there has never been a story in any hometown acc’s newspaper discussing the successes of our program (no, this is not an Observer bash because they are not an acc hometown paper). The Winston-Salem Journal treats us with the same disrespect as they do USC-Upstate, and would do so if we had been to the NCAA 30 years in a row.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;280542]
The “we are their Super Bowl” statement was used by some Wake fans this year and also 2 years ago. One problem is many acc fans are basically pretty ignorant with basketball knowledge. Sure… they can quote Billy Packer, but they don’t realize Billy is selling the conference. Also… to my knowledge, there has never been a story in any hometown acc’s newspaper discussing the successes of our program (no, this is not an Observer bash because they are not an acc hometown paper). The Winston-Salem Journal treats us with the same disrespect as they do USC-Upstate, and would do so if we had been to the NCAA 30 years in a row.[/QUOTE]

Winning will help with all this.

Some ignorant moron posted a thread that says "Charlotte and Holy Cross - We're their superbowl"

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Their superbowl? No way, cant be. I was told earlier in the year that Wake was our super bowl.

Really, do these guys even watch college basketball? Whats their record again?

Juan Dixon is NOT walking through that door Terp fans!

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;280504]Many Wake fans did. They’ve been conditioned to do so. It’s not really their fault. They only know what they hear and read.

We could have been to the Sweet 16 the past 5 years in a row and many acc fans would still have this attitude. They’ve been “conditioned” throughout the years to think like this. I can understand this thought process happening in another city, but it should (have) never happen(ed) here in Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

This arrogant acc attitude WOULD cease if we would win games vs the acc like the one we lost to ncsu in the NCAAs a few years ago. That game STILL pisses me off! The 2 OT losses to the tar holes really didn’t help. Winning those 2 games (as we should have) would have helped.

[QUOTE=49er1;280551]This arrogant acc attitude WOULD cease if we would win games[/QUOTE] We received no more respect after we ran all over State back in 2000. We received no more respect after taking #1 ranked Carolina to a total of 3 overtimes in 2 games. We received no more respect from acc fans after all of our collective wins over Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Syracuse, Indiana, Marquette, etc.

It’s the ACC mentality. We could go undefeated and win the NC and they would still think it was a fluke. Some ACC fans think all ACC teams belong in the Top 25 every year.

[QUOTE=Chipper;280567][B]Some[/B] ACC fans think all ACC teams belong in the Top 25 every year.[/QUOTE]
Only some?

[QUOTE=Chipper;280567]We received no more respect after we ran all over State back in 2000. We received no more respect after taking #1 ranked Carolina to a total of 3 overtimes in 2 games. We received no more respect from acc fans after all of our collective wins over Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Syracuse, Indiana, Marquette, etc.

It’s the ACC mentality. We could go undefeated and win the NC and they would still think it was a fluke. Some ACC fans think all ACC teams belong in the Top 25 every year.[/QUOTE]

Most of this is true, but I have to admit that I have never heard the ACC media talk about us as much as the year we drilled NC State in their house. I listened to the NC State radio show after the game and they were very complimentary of the team and expected us to easily make the sweet 16.

It takes more than one or two years to change life-long perceptions. And lets keep it real, they do have the number one team in the country right now and a couple of others in the top 20. We could do wonders for or REP this year by taking out Maryland and Clemson.

Moral victories do not count.

There was a prick from Hickory, something Teague, who wrote a letter to the editor last week. I need to look him up, & mail him a dirty letter. He said why does UNCC need football when they can't win at basketball? We were 7-4 at the time, & have been to 6 tourneys in the last 10-11 years, but yet this Teague a55hole from Hickory says we can't win at basketball.

I saw Mr Teague’s letter in Sundays op-ed. He’s probably a professor at UNCC, or full fledged rebel flag flying trailer park wal mart tarheel fan.