McCrory says Charlotte region needs a high-profile university

His comments didn’t bother me too much. Could have been worded better to accentuate the positives.

Bottom line if Charlotte just keeps moving in the same direction we will get there. We are miles ahead in reputation from when I was there.

It’s just going to take time.

This is anecdotal but my nephew is attending Charlotte next year with the goal of an engineering degree. and he was setup to apply with good prospects of getting in to NC State but only wanted to go to Charlotte. He had a couple of other friends that also declined to apply to ACC schools. I think the perception has already changed a lot for his age group.

[quote=“cltniners, post:16, topic:28694”][quote=“X-49er, post:14, topic:28694”][quote=“emf, post:1, topic:28694”]

However, when McCrory was asked about challenges the region faces, he mentioned its lack of a high-profile university.

“UNC Charlotte engineering is getting that reputation now, but we’re still looking for that pedigree, that national stage,” he said. “We’re going to have to continue to market that.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/12/4761402/charlotte-needs-better-trained.html[/quote]

A backhanded compliment at best by Phat Pat. Is he aligning with CHP to rename the school to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill [size=0.7em](Charlotte Branch)[/size][size=1em]?[/size] It not as high profile as it should be because the people who should be helping to sell it are not, Governor included. He’s in a position to help us get a lot of exposure and help sell the school to those that don’t know a lot about it based on the people he’s worked with here. Instead he tells the media that the school is not high profile. ???[/quote]

clt says remember that poochys uncle was in the audience and the governor said that UNC Charlotte Is young and is starting to receive acclaim for its programs. Not high profile yet, but on the way.

The reporter added bias to the story. Shocking.[/quote] Who is poochy and is he related to Clt. Also, does Clt take poochy’s uncle on Zep rides? Inquiring minds want to know.

It doesn’t help that we play in a conference that outside of Rice and Tulane is full of borderline community colleges.

Wow- that’s about as insulting toward other schools as I have seen.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:28694”][quote=“cltniners, post:16, topic:28694”][quote=“X-49er, post:14, topic:28694”][quote=“emf, post:1, topic:28694”]

However, when McCrory was asked about challenges the region faces, he mentioned its lack of a high-profile university.

“UNC Charlotte engineering is getting that reputation now, but we’re still looking for that pedigree, that national stage,” he said. “We’re going to have to continue to market that.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/03/12/4761402/charlotte-needs-better-trained.html[/quote]

A backhanded compliment at best by Phat Pat. Is he aligning with CHP to rename the school to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill [size=0.7em](Charlotte Branch)[/size][size=1em]?[/size] It not as high profile as it should be because the people who should be helping to sell it are not, Governor included. He’s in a position to help us get a lot of exposure and help sell the school to those that don’t know a lot about it based on the people he’s worked with here. Instead he tells the media that the school is not high profile. ???[/quote]

clt says remember that poochys uncle was in the audience and the governor said that UNC Charlotte Is young and is starting to receive acclaim for its programs. Not high profile yet, but on the way.

The reporter added bias to the story. Shocking.[/quote] Who is poochy and is he related to Clt. Also, does Clt take poochy’s uncle on Zep rides? Inquiring minds want to know.[/quote]

clt says poochy is awesome and his uncle is highly regarded. No relation to clt.

Once again, the governors comments were not anti Charlotte.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:15, topic:28694”][quote=“X-49er, post:14, topic:28694”][quote=“emf, post:1, topic:28694”]

I bleed green and love UNC Charlotte with every fiber of my being but we aren’t high profile. We all know this down inside. Our short history and our mission are the main reasons why we aren’t high profile. UNC Charlotte just needs more time to develop successful programs, build up its infrastructure, and increase the graduate base. I can’t remember any of the previous occupants of the statehouse doing anymore than ignoring our existence. You can interpret the comment through whatever bias you want but most would agree that UNC Charlotte needs more marketing as a great university.

http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/list/the-experts-choice-the-public-ivies/657/[/quote]

The last three Governors were from the eastern part of the state. Naturally they don’t/didn’t care about us. McCrory was one of our biggest supporters while he was Mayor, and should be propping us up and helping to celebrate to everyone else how much we’ve grown over the last decade. Instead he says Charlotte doesn’t have a high profile university. Even if he believes this, why he is he saying this to the media as if we don’t exist? Has nothing to do with bias,. Help us sell the university instead of saying that it isn’t good enough. I guess I just expected better from a Charlotte Governor. Shouldn’t have done that.

Yeah, that’s the first thing athletic conferences look at when selecting their next member institution. ::slight_smile:

I don’t know guys. I have seen McCrory at several basketball games wearing a 49er jersey, and he was at our first football game. The mayor of Charlotte should do this, but McCrory got crazy with the kids in 104. I think he does appreciate the importance of UNC Charlotte but promoting us is not his main job. As Governor he is responsible for all of the schools, and he has constituents from them all. Maybe I am reading more into this than I should, but when he said the following I heard lets take some of the Chapel Hill money and send it to Charlotte.

[font=arial][size=15px]“We are going to have to be more flexible in the academic institutions,” McCrory said. “If right now the market has too many lawyers, which it does … why aren’t we shifting some of the money from the law schools over to the engineering schools?”[/size][/font]

[quote=“Nugget, post:28, topic:28694”]I don’t know guys. I have seen McCrory at several basketball games wearing a 49er jersey, and he was at our first football game. The mayor of Charlotte should do this, but McCrory got crazy with the kids in 104. I think he does appreciate the importance of UNC Charlotte but promoting us is not his main job. As Governor he is responsible for all of the schools, and he has constituents from them all. Maybe I am reading more into this than I should, but when he said the following I heard lets take some of the Chapel Hill money and send it to Charlotte.

[font=arial][size=15px]“We are going to have to be more flexible in the academic institutions,” McCrory said. “If right now the market has too many lawyers, which it does … why aren’t we shifting some of the money from the law schools over to the engineering schools?”[/size][/font]
[/quote]

If that’s what he meant, then he could have been a lot more eloquent with his choice of words. If you look at all the construction that’s been done on campus the last 15 years, it’s hard to argue that we haven’t gotten our fair share of the funding recently. Maybe he’ll help to get us a med school so that we can meet his profile standards.

Yeah, that’s the first thing athletic conferences look at when selecting their next member institution. ::)[/quote]

I’m looking at it from a you are judged by who you “hang out with” perspective. (However, academics was a component used by the B10 in their expansion evaluations.)

Just look at the US World News rankings, we are in the the same part of the rankings (low 200s nationally) as most of our conference partners. There are likely 10 sports stories in the news for each academic-related story. When the majority of articles are written about us are tied to the UTSAs and UTEPs of the world people are going to lump us in with them, not just athletically, but academically.

We have a lot of good programs, we need to market them better.