med school

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/527251.html

clt points this out for two reasons, one we should be involved or at least mentioned.

and this story shows why unc ch should never be referred to as unc. which board of governors? unc or unc ch?

Proactive move by UNC-Chapel Hill. If they waited too long UNC Charlotte might have developed some local discussions about having one associated with the university along with CMC. It does surprise me that CMC would allow themselves to become a backseat partner to UNC’S medical school and not want to be a true partner with Charlotte’s own university. It is something like RJR’S takeover of Nabisco, CMC is the B–ch and UNC protrects itself from the threat of another major state medical program to compete with for funding and students.
Unfortunately Charlotte’s administration and the Charlotte community are allowing it to happen. I am sure there are closed door discussions that show their disapproval for getting the shaft but isn’t it time to stand up and say no! Dubois needs to rally support and get us involved not sit on the sidelines and as our future is being taken away.

Enough is Enough…

[QUOTE=chasmo101;302790]
Unfortunately Charlotte’s administration and the Charlotte community are allowing it to happen. I am sure there are closed door discussions that show their disapproval for getting the shaft but isn’t it time to stand up and say no! Dubois needs to rally support and get us involved not sit on the sidelines and as our future is being taken away.

Enough is Enough…[/QUOTE]

This is what pisses me off!!! It seems like we don’t want to step on any toes. BS!!! Especially considering the grumpy old men visit a few weeks ago. WHO IS TAKING A STAND FOR THIS UNIVERSITY???

Another thread on this from a few weeks ago…

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19003

I endorse this plan completely if and only if down the road it becomes ours and flies a green flag. It could very well be something that needs to be done quietly but it’s hard to have faith in that kind of process given past results.

[QUOTE=NLP;302819]I endorse this plan completely if and only if down the road it becomes ours and flies a green flag. It could very well be something that needs to be done quietly but it’s hard to have faith in that kind of process given past results.[/QUOTE]

If this is the case, I would hope that we would be involved a little more from the start. I hope we are talking behind closed doors, but like you said, it’s hard to have faith.

[QUOTE=NLP;302819]I endorse this plan completely if and only if down the road it becomes ours and flies a green flag. It could very well be something that needs to be done quietly but it’s hard to have faith in that kind of process given past results.[/QUOTE]

Darth Vader: I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.
Lando Calrissian: That was never a condition of our agreement!
Darth Vader: Perhaps you think you’re being treated unfairly?
Lando Calrissian: No.
Darth Vader: Good. It would be unfortunate if I have to leave a garrison here.
Lando Calrissian: [To himself] This deal is getting worse all the time.

[QUOTE=chasmo101;302819]Dubois needs to rally support and get us involved not sit on the sidelines and as our future is being taken away.[/QUOTE]

Something that will promote the interests of the UNC System - but offends the alum that desire autonomy? Chapel Hill Phil must be outraged! OUTRAGED, I say! :rolleyes:

At least the Charlotte Observer editorial board will be in our corner for this issue. After all, they really are not against football but are instead looking after us and our interests in research. Right?

… right?

[QUOTE](Charlotte College) trustees stated in a November 1964 resolution, “It is recognized that to develop a medical center would require from 10 to 15 years and the expenditure of a large sum of money. Therefore, any discussion of a medical center is not for today or tomorrow, but for the next decade.”[/QUOTE]

Almost 44 years ago.

this pisses me off…

WE NEED AN EPHING UPRISING!

I find it “interesting” that the Big O writer left out the part about UNCC being involved. From the UNC Health Care website:

UNC-Chapel Hill's expansion in Charlotte will involve a partnership with Carolinas Medical Center (CMC), as well as [b]collaboration with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte[/b] in expanding research and related initiatives.
UNCHealthCare.org: [b][url=http://www.unchealthcare.org/site/newsroom/news/2008/Mar/expansion]UNC Board of Governors Endorses Plan to Expand Medical Education in North Carolina[/url][/b]
Darth Vader: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further. Lando Calrissian: That was never a condition of our agreement! Darth Vader: Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly? Lando Calrissian: No. Darth Vader: Good. It would be unfortunate if I have to leave a garrison here. Lando Calrissian: [To himself] This deal is getting worse all the time.

Something that will promote the interests of the UNC System - but offends the alum that desire autonomy? Chapel Hill Phil must be outraged! OUTRAGED, I say! :rolleyes:

At least the Charlotte Observer editorial board will be in our corner for this issue. After all, they really are not against football but are instead looking after us and our interests in research. Right?

… right?

Almost 44 years ago.

I find it "interesting" that the Big O writer left out the part about UNCC being involved. From the UNC Health Care website:

UNCHealthCare.org: UNC Board of Governors Endorses Plan to Expand Medical Education in North Carolina

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, I mean Charles Schultz, I mean Kevin Siers… Good grief.

[QUOTE=run49er;302846]UNCHealthCare.org: UNC Board of Governors Endorses Plan to Expand Medical Education in North Carolina[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]UNC-Chapel Hill’s additional 70 students will complete their third- and fourth-year rotations at either the CMC Charlotte campus (50) or Asheville campus (20)[/QUOTE]

UNC’s CMC Charlotte campus? (sorry, cltniners, but Chapel Hill still reserves the rights to those initials)

Right next to the UNC Charlotte campus? Ugh.

UNC's CMC Charlotte campus? (sorry, cltniners, but Chapel Hill still reserves the rights to those initials)

Right next to the UNC Charlotte campus? Ugh.

It’ll be bearable as long as it isn’t powder puff blue and covered in UNCCH logos. Who wants to bet that it will be a huge marketing center for Chapel Hole gear…

Here’s the CMC news release, in which we are referred to as “UNC-Charlotte” and “UNCC”! Guess that $1 million marketing campaign hasn’t made it’s way over to Blythe Boulevard between Dilworth and Myers Park yet! :rolleyes:

CarolinasMedicalCenter.org: UNC Board Endorses Medical School Plan

Someone who actually knows the answer to this question please answer this for me…

[B]UNC[/B] School of Medicine to Carolinas Medical Center (CMC) - does that stand for the System? or UNCCH?

bc this phrase "The board emphasized that this is a complex plan that also involves the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, UNC-Charlotte, and Mission Hospital in Asheville. Total cost is estimated to be in the vicinity of $450 million. "

and this phrase "UNC-Chapel Hill will expand its medical school enrollment from 160 to 230 first-year students, on a phased basis, beginning in 2009. Brody’s enrollment will expand from 73 to 120, also on a phased basis. "

could cause it to go either way???

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc;302863]Someone who actually knows the answer to this question please answer this for me…

[B]UNC[/B] School of Medicine to Carolinas Medical Center (CMC) - does that stand for the System? or UNCCH?[/QUOTE]
The UNC School of Medicine is a part of UNC-Chapel Hill.

The UNC School of Medicine is a part of UNC-Chapel Hill.

alright - they made it kindof fuzzy there

So the question is, when they graduate, which institution will have its mark on the piece of paper? The way I’m reading it, we will have UNC Chapel Hill have a site right near our campus. That is bull ****. How much more **** can they do to try to hold us down. The UNC system is out of control. Someone has to do something about this. This should help our name recognition alot, UNC Ch students walking around Charlotte wearing baby blue gear. Don’t we already have enough of that on our own campus? If the city of Charlotte needs a medical school, it should be OUR MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! Are they afraid that if we get one, it will grow bigger and better than theirs, so they have to make sure they stop that? This is childish and it is like playing with a bully in the playground of an elementary school.

I say we go ahead and start spreading the rumor that we may be getting a Medical School.

I endorse this plan completely if and only if down the road it becomes ours and flies a green flag. It could very well be something that needs to be done quietly but it's hard to have faith in that kind of process given past results.

And the Russians were only going to occupy Berlin for a few months. Chapel Hill will never allow us to take over the program, foolish to even think that would occur.

Did anyone see the Observer article on Sat. that UNC-CH wants 50 med students in Charlotte & 20 in Asheville for their final 2 years of Med School, & to eventually be a full Med School in 10-15 years? CMC is already signed up, & the UNC Board of Gov. has approved, & it’s waiting for NC Gen. Assembly approval.
What a bunch of crap!
If there is a Med School in Charlotte, it should be through us. If there is a Med School in Asheville, it should be through UNCA.
How dare UNC-CH come in our backyard like this!
Spangler & Friday want us to focus on Academics. Well, look what happens when we do, someone steals it from us.
UNC-CH is supposed to be our sister school. A big sister should help you, not undercut you.
I can understand where they might have to share the school with us when it’s only the last 2 years, but I can’t understand them having the whole school. I can understand them helping their little sisters at Charlotte & Asheville start a Med School in 10-15 years, but I can’t understand them having 3 Med Schools.
This is insane!