Medical & Law School News

This was the equivalent of the University of Alabama trustees shutting down the UAB football. The Chapel Hill people that dominate the UNC System did not want another medical school to compete with in the state for grant money or prestige. Phil Dubois was a bobble head doll when dealing with the UNC System and didn’t push back an inch. Huge travesty for Charlotte.

4 Likes

I don’t get the Silicon Valley analogy. A place like Boston is already light years ahead of any Charlotte-Winston “medical corridor”

2 Likes

Maybe there is hope? The timing is great for a new chancellor to make their first big mark.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article246584233.html

Looks like this is just going to be a varied medical facility. Still good news for U City. Appears to be right next to the Centene property. Hopefully all this business development will result in some better housing developments in the area.

The title of the article was misleading as it says “campus”. None the less, having Atrium’s rival build a facility close to campus can’t be a bad thing for the school.

Huge news if true. What is our role in this?

Probably the same as always, observer. It will help the University to have that in the neighborhood though. Anything that drives up rent will help to push out crime.

Hopefully our role is not having the Wake Forest Medical School Charlotte Campus be 2000 ft away from our University. Other than what Nugget mentioned as just generally positive impacts for the area, I see very little benefit to the U. Maybe our nursing program can get some more rotations in…

Well this is Novant and Wake’s partnership is with Atrium.

If Novant is willing to put a large “campus” of medical offices and surgery centers, ER and clinics, it presents a fantastic opportunity to establish a partnership for (eg nursing) students to get practical experience. Perhaps setting the table for a future medical school partnership?

I think as leadership you have to see potential and explore options rather than just pooh-poohing everything. It’s that lack of vision that got us where we are today. This is almost as fortuitous as Jerry Richardson’s big donation in terms of something just falling in our laps.

Ah, my mistake; I was confused about who Wake had partnered with. Yeah, it could work out to our benefit at some point, but it’s going to take a lot of work. You are right, leadership will be absolutely key.

I seem to remember that maybe 10 years ago both Novant and Atrium (both under different names then) were interested in starting a medical school. I don’t know the numbers, or how these things work with AMA approval, but it would seem possible that the population growth in the US, and higher growth in the Southeast, aging population, and likelihood of some kind of health insurance for all program could justify another medical school.

At least if Dr Gaber doesn’t know the answers to these questions either, then she should be having a meeting.

There was a story about the possibility of this a year ago in the Observer:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article237785959.html

As far as I can tell, this is going to be on the undeveloped corner across from Ortho Carolina and next to Cook Out / the greenway on North Tryon. IIRC that site was originally going to be developed as a large northern side of town BofA campus, but the 2008 recession killed that project.

Your recollections are correct.

Yes. It appears that the campus will be from the corner all the way to the greenway. This is the zoning map from the previous tweet.

There’s a plantation cemetery historical maker near the northeast corner of that property. Wonder if they find any more graves.

Why can’t the city of Charlotte have two medical schools? One private (Wake Forest) and one public (University of Charlotte). Cities like Nashville have two med schools. Two medical schools would create a greater scale for research jobs in the city and a more diverse economy. The United States has a doctor shortage why not produce more doctors?

4 Likes

I think its obvious two is fine - but the political challenges to getting it going I think stop it from being a reality.

Politics being Chapel Hill squashing it into the dirt.

ECU got a medical school because they pushed for one and didn’t fold like a tent the first time the UNC overlords signaled no.