Medical & Law School News

Because they are incredibly expensive to run and they don’t bring in grant money or donations at nearly the same level that medical schools do, while having similar expenses for facilities and equipment.

South Carolina does not have a veterinary school but does have contractual arrangements with the veterinary schools at University of Georgia to accept 17, with Mississippi State University to accept 5, and with Tuskegee University to accept 4 South Carolina residents. This means that if a South Carolina resident applies to one of the above schools and is accepted, they will receive an annual subsidy from the state of SC towards their tuition.

A school of optometry is a great idea. The key to success with anything is getting the right leader. We have that very person among us.

Dr. Steven Eyler with University Eye Associates is one of the most respected in his field. He is already a huge supporter of the Charlotte 49ers. Dr. Eyler is extremely well connected and would be the perfect individual to help us with this endeavor. If the stars were to align this could be another huge step for our university.

1 Like

Im fairly certain all medical fields take the same classes the first two years before moving into their specialty education. For this reason, it makes me wonder if there are any standalone dental or optometry schools, or if they are all at places that already have full blown medical schools?

Seems to be a mixed bag of standalone schools and schools that also offer optometry programs, not all of which have med schools.

I don’t see an issue with an optometry school but how we get there is kinda fuzzy to me. Once its done and we have a school it won’t be as hard as it seemed as hindsight is 20/20.

The dad jokes are strong with this one.

1 Like

Indeed it’s easy to make jokes with eyes, the vet school ones though - entirely different animal there.

1 Like

Thanks and that makes sense. I guess vet schools may also require a large amount of land as well which adds to the costs.

I guess we could always cut our teeth with a dental school.

1 Like

Getting a dental school would help take the bite out of not getting a medical school.

1 Like

I see what you did there

Keep your optimism! I think Covid has made NWA overly negative lately. :wink:

1 Like

I too have thought at least trying to get into a specialty field first is the way to go. From what I understand, pharmacists, PTs, dermatologists and physician assistants are all fields that are growing and in high demand.

Positive for the city of Charlotte. No doubt in my mind UNC Charlotte could have played a role in a medical school in Charlotte if our leadership weren’t such turtles.

5 Likes

We keep hearing what programs other universities are opening in Charlotte. Could someone from THE University of Charlotte share with us what programs we are opening in our city?

1 Like

Chiming in for my once a year or once every 6 months comments.

Someone on another forum regarding urban development in Charlotte had a great idea: Why not a Dental School? Sure, we still want to go for the big fish, but there are only two dental schools in NC (Chapel Hill and ECU). We have one of the largest dental supply companies headquartered here. It would be an interesting idea to pursue.

Also, a pharmacy school could do well here too.

Both could eventually lead to a Medical School, or be part of a larger gameplan around Medical education for the school.

3 Likes

I like those ideas. I know there are now a bunch of PA schools in NC (we are late to the dance again), but that is an area growing like fire. It seems like it would be an easy add to our Nursing program.

That’s been my suggestion all along, to start with a pharmacy and/or PA school. Studies over the past decade have shown them to be two of the better paying fields while also being in high demand.