Medical & Law School News

NA, you and I are on the same page in regards to the potential opportunity. Just confused why my posting of the same topic only warranted one response, while your’s has received 10+. :crazy_face:

I will say though, there’s already been a hospital basically connected to the campus for 30+ years that hasn’t led to a medical school. So I won’t get too excited.

But maybe with Atrium already teaming up with WF and UNC CH they would be interested in going in a different direction.

Another gut punch.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/19/novant-unc-health-agreement-school-presbyterian.html?ana=twt

Novant Health and UNC Health have their own plans for medical education in Charlotte.

The two systems announced Thursday that UNC School of Medicine will establish a branch campus at Presbyterian Medical Center. Details are limited, however. They did not specify what programs would be available, nor how many students and staff it would support.

EXTREMELY disappointed!!!

I have continued to be a proud alum of this university. However, I am finally fed up with the complacency of this institution. Our leadership continues to be satisfied with being second tier. OK is OK.

When the University of Charlotte decides to take its place as a major university in a major city, I will return to being a rabid fan as I have been for the last 35 years. I am tired of being second fiddle to other universities in the state. This passive approach to a medical school or law school is a complete embarrassment.

PLEASE QUIT LAYING DOWN AND BEING SO SUBMISSIVE!!! We are the University of CHARLOTTE. Please protect our position in our city or change the damn name to the University of North Carolina (drop the Charlotte) and let the folks from Chapel Hill take over.

If this university is attempting to educate future leaders, please start acting like leaders yourselves. I am totally embarrassed and disgusted.

1 Like

I agree with your emotion but understand we had our window with this and Phil fucked it up. This isn’t on Gaber.

4 Likes

What is Phil’s legacy? Enrollment expanded, wouldn’t that have happened under any chancellor considering our location, the bond money and the available land to expand?

Football, in the beginning Phil seemed about as enthusiastic about starting football as a person about to get a colonoscopy. Phil made the comment he would be buried at the stadium before we moved up to FBS. Starting football was also an obvious move after being left out in the cold by the CUSA 1.0 schools that moved to the Big East/AAC.

Light rail, he allowed CATS build the light rail out to campus on public land. Wouldn’t almost any chancellor say yes given that opportunity?

Uptown campus, I don’t know how long an uptown building has been on the drawing board. I’ll give him credit for this. Would another chancellor have built Uptown? I don’t know.

Adding academic programs in informatics and technology, this would have likely happened under any chancellor.

To me Phil was just a place holder chancellor like a game manager QB. He was never going to stick his neck out and do something exceptional. UNC Charlotte is chartered to be a regional university that serves the surrounding counties and he never wanted to push against the UNC overlords to be anything else. He knew the Chapel Hill folks weren’t warm to a Charlotte medical school and never pushed back.

3 Likes

Uptown Campus was well underway before Phil. We were buying the land as he was being named chancellor.

2 Likes

The only thing I really give Phil credit for is the massive building expansion that happened under his watch. He help push through numerous buildings and funding of those buildings. Perhaps any chancellor would have done this, but I do credit him for making that happen over and over which helped push our growth.

Everything else is stuff he either got forced into (football, Judy, etc) or are things any leader in his sport would have gone along with (uptwon, light rail, etc).

The one place I do really give him props is maintaining our academic profile during expansion. He is an academic first and foremost and was probably good to have such a leader at the helm during a huge growth window not to drop academic priorities to grow the school. Other than that his negatives out weigh his positives in my book.

I have a lot of confidence in Dr. Gaber. Will she make a public stand and demand the UNC System do the right thing for “OUR” University, the one that is here to serve the Charlotte Metro area. She knows the right thing to do just like her predecessors. There is already a major university in Charlotte, NC. We do not need another university to encroach our geographic region. I just hope she is a bold enough leader to take a stand and not get “weak-kneed” and submissive when the political heads come to town and TELL HER to stand down. Personally, I want to be part of an organization that is BOLD. I have no interest in being part of an organization that continues to be the University of North Carolina “of Complacency.” The opportunity is still available if we seize the moment. It’s time to stand and be BOLD or we will forever be considered a second tier university. Where is our leadership? It’s not Dr. Gaber alone but rather her and a strong, supporting cast. This is worth the fight!

Agree with all that but the medical school steps were already locked in before she arrived. She can’t go back in time and undo agreements with atrium and novant.

She does still have to play a very political game.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get too worked up about the Novant UNC CH medical school deal. UNC CH had the same deal with Atrium for years and it withered on the vine. They (UNC CH) had their chance and they blew it. I will believe this leads to a second medical school in Charlotte when they actually start construction on a physical location. Until then I call this VaporWare.

1 Like

Yup, a big part of Phil’s job was showing up and not screwing things up to bad. I do think he handled the shooting well, and I am grateful for that.

Very surprised at how quiet this topic is.
I would love to hear opinions from others. Perhaps it’s just me but I think a medical school would be as significant as getting football; maybe more so.

It would improve our brand, give us more respect and credibility, and help to elevate our entire university. The UNC system knows this and wants to control our progress.

I would love to hear opinions from others. Thoughts?

We’ve been talking about a medical school for 15+ years on this board. School leadership didn’t press for it and now it may never be a reality.

1 Like

The ship has sailed. It would be the most significant thing in our history, but not going to happen.

1 Like

I disagree about a medical school being as significant as football. A med school would be great for the university, but it would take decades for the impact to get footing. Even then, we would likely graduate a small number of doctors per year. It would definitely increase our perception - some - but Campbell has a med school and it didn’t really improve their perception very much. I think a med school is the top tier of professional schools but that ship has sailed. I’d like to see us go after a school of dentistry or optometry school or something similar. We still need those medical professionals as well.

Campbell’s medical program is a bit different being just osteopathic medicine (only program in NC). It does seem Campbell’s reputation (at least the Raleigh area) has taken a drastic uptick after adding this medical program, moving law school to downtown Raleigh and starting school of engineering.

We should buy the land in Harrisburg that stretches between 29 and 49 and almost to Morehead Rd by the Speedway, and put a Vet school there.

Interesting in that of all the states that have accredited Vet schools, they all only have one vet school. The exceptions are California and Alabama, which have two. I wonder why the consensus is only primarily only one vet school per state.

Closest schools of optometry are in Kentucky or Alabama. We need eye drs!

Because they are incredibly expensive to run and they don’t bring in grant money or donations at nearly the same level that medical schools do, while having similar expenses for facilities and equipment.