Medical & Law School News

whoever paints it pleaseeee post it here

The Health Care Rant thread reminded me about this UNC School of Medicine expansion into Charlotte that was supposed to start this fall. I can’t find any news items about “we’re SO excited about this program starting next month, blah blah blah”. It’s hard to know exactly for sure based on the following docs, but I think the state budget that was just passed for the next two years doesn’t include any funding for this expansion; so hey, silver lining. :smiley: Hope I’m right, it gives us more time to fight this incursion, or at least be a part of it if there’s no other option, rather than totally snubbed.

Below is summary of items from the state budget that affect the UNC Health Care System:

[ul][li]An $18 million appropriation for UNC Hospitals[/li]
[li]Continued funding of the University Cancer Research Fund[/li]
[li]Institutional Trust Fund Investment - allows institutions and UNC Health Care to invest institutional trust funds with the UNC Management Company instead of the State Treasurer[/li][/ul]
[note: nothing about expansions]

http://news.unchealthcare.org/empnews/2011/june29/budgetupdate

There were no appropriations in response to the Board’s request for the Nursing Programs Expansion at UNC-CH (NCSU location) and UNCW, [b]Medical School Expansion at[/b] ECU and [b]UNC-CH[/b], Health and Wellness/Allied Professions at ASU and UNCA.
[url=https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/doc.php?code=bog&id=25159]https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/doc.php?code=bog&id=25159[/url] (PDF)

See Repubs. cutting shit is helpful! :))

Will CHP fight to get some of our cut funding back ASAP or will he fight to get the UNC Med School Expansion back into the budget ASAP? Or will he just sit on his ass and take credit with Judy for starting football at “UNCC”?

Option 2 or 3. No way in hell option 1.

There are a couple versions of the same article in the O today about the new “Center City 2020 Vision Plan” the Charlotte City Council probably will be adopting. One item the articles mention is a new medical school, so I pulled out the relevant piece I found in the plan. Granted, a lot of the items in the document seem to be pie-in-the-sky wishlist type of things, but it’s interesting to see what the planners are thinking.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/25/2481305/plan-aims-for-more-development.html
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/26/2481553/vision-plan-sees-growth-in-center.html
http://www.centercity2020.info

[b]AIC–1b. Develop a full-scale medical school [/b] [b]in conjunction with a teaching hospital.[/b] A gap in Charlotte’s medical and health sciences infrastructure is the absence of a comprehensively developed medical school with a full complement of specialties, expert physicians, nurses, researchers, medical technicians and student residents, associated with a teaching hospital. Center City is uniquely poised to attract such a program, which could be located in the Applied Innovation Corridor to leverage the strengths of the existing medical, health administration and medical institutions (including Carolina Health Systems, Presbyterian Hospital and Queens College). The University of North Carolina System has established a modest medical school branch campus in Charlotte, but the program should be expanded or supplemented by a larger ef ort that will attract research dollars and additional medical facilities to the area. An expanded or new teaching hospital should be developed in conjunction with a medical school and be located in close proximity to existing medical facilities. The site should also provide easy access for those travelling by foot, bike and transit.
[url=http://www.centercity2020.info/docManager/1000000206/03_Transformative%20Strategies_Part_I.pdf]http://www.centercity2020.info/docManager/1000000206/03_Transformative%20Strategies_Part_I.pdf[/url] (17 MB)

What is Carolina Health Systems? What is Queens College? Where is UNC Charlotte? Where was that stooped and mealy-colored old man I used to call Poppa when the merry-go-round broke down?

clt says the ceos of center city partners, charlotte chamber and the former crva ceo are all from chapel hill.

there is your issue.

[quote=“cltniners, post:188, topic:23614”]clt says the ceos of center city partners, charlotte chamber and the former crva ceo are all from chapel hill.

there is your issue.[/quote]

According to Hugh McColl, it’s OUR fault, so someone from the school needs to get into these people’s faces (nicely, of course ;D ) and say “we’re here, we’re near, we’re relevant, and dog-gone it, we wanna (and SHOULD) be a part of this grand scheme!”

Didn’t a member of our AD Staff used to date the CRVA ex-CEO? Apparently she can’t lobby very well.

WHAT? When did Hugh tell you that?

WHAT? When did Hugh tell you that?[/quote]

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=29399.0

Still waiting for the UNC(CH) Medical School banner to be spray painted. I get pissed off every time I drive past it.

If I were 20 instead of 60, I’d already done it. Seriously. >:D

My friend, Jason Saine, an alum, was inducted yesterday to fill out the rest of the term for State Rep. in Lincoln County. I tried to convince him as an alum months before to support our effort becaue he & my other friend, Brett Keeter, who’s an alum, works for a US Rep, & knows many in the State House just like Mr. Saine, but they’re not convinced to support our efforts based on being Alums. They’re both fiscal conservatives & I remember someone said before a Med School in our name would be cheaper than a CH Med School in Charlotte. Not to mention we’re shutting out a private business, Presbyterian Hospital, by the Charlotte Med School being run by CH instead of us.

Does anyone still have any economic figures that show us as cheaper? And info on Presbyterian working with us, but not CH? That would help to get Saine’s support, & if we can get his support, he has lots of friends in the NCGA. Also, does anyone still have the figures of how UNCG got screwed on their Pharma School, because I remember UNCG was going to work with private pharma companies in G-boro, & the CH Pharma School in Asheville also shut down a private school, Wingate, from doing a Pharma School.

Any fiscal conservative, private business, etc. literature anyone has could help me to possibly get the support of Rep. Saine, & if we can get him on board, he knows many in the Rep. leadership of the NCGA. We could have this be the possibility of a lifetime to have an ally in the NCGA, but he won’t respond to it’s because it’s our alma mater, & that’s why you should come up with any reason to convince your contacts to support it. We need hard facts on why we’re a better financial deal for the state to run the Med School in our backyard. The more info. anyone has the better.

Wingate has its SCHOOL OF PHARMACY.

I’m talking about the one in Asheville they cancelled because UNC-CH was gonna drive them out of business.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:195, topic:23614”]My friend, Jason Saine, an alum, was inducted yesterday to fill out the rest of the term for State Rep. in Lincoln County. I tried to convince him as an alum months before to support our effort becaue he & my other friend, Brett Keeter, who’s an alum, works for a US Rep, & knows many in the State House just like Mr. Saine, but they’re not convinced to support our efforts based on being Alums. They’re both fiscal conservatives & I remember someone said before a Med School in our name would be cheaper than a CH Med School in Charlotte. Not to mention we’re shutting out a private business, Presbyterian Hospital, by the Charlotte Med School being run by CH instead of us.

Does anyone still have any economic figures that show us as cheaper? And info on Presbyterian working with us, but not CH? That would help to get Saine’s support, & if we can get his support, he has lots of friends in the NCGA. Also, does anyone still have the figures of how UNCG got screwed on their Pharma School, because I remember UNCG was going to work with private pharma companies in G-boro, & the CH Pharma School in Asheville also shut down a private school, Wingate, from doing a Pharma School.

Any fiscal conservative, private business, etc. literature anyone has could help me to possibly get the support of Rep. Saine, & if we can get him on board, he knows many in the Rep. leadership of the NCGA. We could have this be the possibility of a lifetime to have an ally in the NCGA, but he won’t respond to it’s because it’s our alma mater, & that’s why you should come up with any reason to convince your contacts to support it. We need hard facts on why we’re a better financial deal for the state to run the Med School in our backyard. The more info. anyone has the better.[/quote]

Kenny, I don’t have any figures… but I do have a request…

…could you formulate ideas and arguments on this board in this manner more often? It’s a lot easier to read than your common banter.

That wasn’t Wingate.

Yes, Wingate has a school of Pharmacy. Yes, UNC Greensboro planned to put add a Pharmacy School in Greensboro with a branch in Asheville (wonder what UNC Asheville thought of this), until Chapel Hill came in and said they wanted to put a branch of their’s in Asheville instead.