Medical & Law School News

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:216, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:215, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:212, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:211, topic:23614”]UNC sits on top of a lot of hospitals in NC. I’m a UNCC alum (2009) and at ECU for med school now and our opportunities to rotate through hospitals outside of ECU’s hospital are limited during our third year. Most hospitals in NC that are teaching hospitals have some statement like “available to UNC students only during 3rd year”. It’s a little frustrating that they have so much pull over the major hospital systems in Asheville, Charlotte Wilmington.

Thats fine though, I’m happy being the “UNCC kid” outperforming all the UNC alumni in class ::)[/quote]

UNC is a monopoly. The lack of a REAL medical school in this city not only hurts UNC Charlotte but the entire region around the city, medically and financially.[/quote]

I think UNCC will eventually get a med school. I think it’ll take some time and a push from alumni in high places to get it done though.[/quote]

I’m not so sure of that:

[/quote]

My school sort of evolved from UNC. Back in the 70’s the school here in Greenville was just a branch of Chapel Hill. 1st and 2nd years did the book part here and then moved to Chapel Hill in the clinical years. Eventually ECU’s school of medicine branched off on its own in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

I don’t mind ECU that much, but I’ve always thought about how awesome it’d be to be doing this back in the Charlotte area.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:216, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:215, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:212, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:211, topic:23614”]UNC sits on top of a lot of hospitals in NC. I’m a UNCC alum (2009) and at ECU for med school now and our opportunities to rotate through hospitals outside of ECU’s hospital are limited during our third year. Most hospitals in NC that are teaching hospitals have some statement like “available to UNC students only during 3rd year”. It’s a little frustrating that they have so much pull over the major hospital systems in Asheville, Charlotte Wilmington.

Thats fine though, I’m happy being the “UNCC kid” outperforming all the UNC alumni in class ::)[/quote]

UNC is a monopoly. The lack of a REAL medical school in this city not only hurts UNC Charlotte but the entire region around the city, medically and financially.[/quote]

I think UNCC will eventually get a med school. I think it’ll take some time and a push from alumni in high places to get it done though.[/quote]

I’m not so sure of that:

[/quote]

The city of Charlotte will eventually be big enough for medical schools. Until then, we have to deal with this kind of bullshit.

[quote=“SteauA, post:222, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:216, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:215, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:212, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:211, topic:23614”]UNC sits on top of a lot of hospitals in NC. I’m a UNCC alum (2009) and at ECU for med school now and our opportunities to rotate through hospitals outside of ECU’s hospital are limited during our third year. Most hospitals in NC that are teaching hospitals have some statement like “available to UNC students only during 3rd year”. It’s a little frustrating that they have so much pull over the major hospital systems in Asheville, Charlotte Wilmington.

I’m not so sure of that:

[/quote]

The city of Charlotte will eventually be big enough for medical schools. Until then, we have to deal with this kind of bullshit.[/quote]

Charlotte is the 17th most populated city and the 33rd largest metropolitian area. It’s the 2nd largest city in the US without a medical school (Austin is 1st).

Austin is getting a medical school, so Charlotte will move up to 1st on that list.

[quote=“SteauA, post:222, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:216, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:215, topic:23614”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:212, topic:23614”][quote=“ninerguy2009, post:211, topic:23614”]UNC sits on top of a lot of hospitals in NC. I’m a UNCC alum (2009) and at ECU for med school now and our opportunities to rotate through hospitals outside of ECU’s hospital are limited during our third year. Most hospitals in NC that are teaching hospitals have some statement like “available to UNC students only during 3rd year”. It’s a little frustrating that they have so much pull over the major hospital systems in Asheville, Charlotte Wilmington.

I’m not so sure of that:

[/quote]

The city of Charlotte will eventually be big enough for medical schools. Until then, we have to deal with this kind of bullshit.[/quote]

Big enough? ::slight_smile: …wth?

ECU is part of the UNC System. Right your NCGA Rep. & Sen. that you need equal access that UNC-CH students get. There should be no discrimination within the UNC System. It’s not like you are an outsider from the family like a private or out-of-state school.

I think we will have one at some point. It isn’t the size of the city that we need - we have that - it is money and power in the city backing us. Most of the money and power that has been here over the years have ties to Chapel Hill. As the city becomes more diverse with leadership and power brokers not beholden to Chapel Hill we will get our med school. We just need more people that are pro-Charlotte (city not school).

Charlotte group to unveil medical school feasibility study

He said his committee’s goal is to create an independent, four-year medical school that could be under the auspices of UNC Charlotte, and maybe in cooperation with Johnson C. Smith University, Davidson College and Queens University of Charlotte. It would use doctors and hospitals from both Carolinas HealthCare System and Novant Health for clinical training, he said.

Most likely this will be a day late and a dollar short for UNCC because nothing was done until AFTER chapel Hill sunk it’s claws into CHS.

If something had been done prior to this and the behemoth that is CHS had partnered directly with UNCC then it probably would have been done by now.

They will likely face huge resistance on this from the other schools.

Perhaps, but better than not trying at all.

clt says this is the start of something great. Any word from our chancellor?

[quote=“Gassman, post:229, topic:23614”]Most likely this will be a day late and a dollar short for UNCC because nothing was done until AFTER chapel Hill sunk it’s claws into CHS.

If something had been done prior to this and the behemoth that is CHS had partnered directly with UNCC then it probably would have been done by now.

They will likely face huge resistance on this from the other schools.[/quote]

There will be significant support in Charlotte… It is wonderful that he provided $250k to start the process.
Also don’t forget that the Levine’s are among the largest individual contributors to CHS and they certainly support Charlotte becoming a world class university. Having some political representation (Hudson etc) also helps. This press release wasn’t an accident… I am very excited to see what the announcement will be.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:232, topic:23614”][quote=“Gassman, post:229, topic:23614”]Most likely this will be a day late and a dollar short for UNCC because nothing was done until AFTER chapel Hill sunk it’s claws into CHS.

There will be significant support in Charlotte… It is wonderful that he provided $250k to start the process.
Also don’t forget that the Levine’s are among the largest individual contributors to CHS and they certainly support Charlotte becoming a world class university. Having some political representation (Hudson etc) also helps. This press release wasn’t an accident… I am very excited to see what the announcement will be.[/quote]it’ll definitely say it’s feasible. If it didn’t they never would have released the results.

Hopefully they have details on what to do next.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:232, topic:23614”][quote=“Gassman, post:229, topic:23614”]Most likely this will be a day late and a dollar short for UNCC because nothing was done until AFTER chapel Hill sunk it’s claws into CHS.

Also don’t forget that the Levine’s are among the largest individual contributors to CHS and they certainly support Charlotte becoming a world class university. Having some political representation (Hudson etc) also helps. This press release wasn’t an accident… I am very excited to see what the announcement will be.[/quote]

clt says the lt governor is also a niner.

[quote=“Gassman, post:229, topic:23614”]Most likely this will be a day late and a dollar short for UNCC because nothing was done until AFTER chapel Hill sunk it’s claws into CHS.

CHS will be an asset in this fight. They want a stand alone medical school on the campus. They’re on our side.

If we try to partner with Novant again, ugh.

I would love to know where you heard CHS wants any connection to us since their administration has shown a blue-blue bias for decades. We need to be very proactive or it will happen without us… and it will happen eventually. Re-read the last part of the article… Chapel Hill is already lobbying for it to be their satellite. We actually stand a better chance at being included if Novant is involved.

[quote=“UofC9er, post:236, topic:23614”]I would love to know where you heard CHS wants any connection to us since their administration has shown a blue-blue bias for decades. We need to be very proactive or it will happen without us… and it will happen eventually. Re-read the last part of the article… Chapel Hill is already lobbying for it to be their satellite. We actually stand a better change at being included if Novant is involved.[/quote]nlp works at CHS and does some really cool shit there.

So if this goes down where is the campus? At CHS, at Novant, next to university hospital? Something tells me this is going downtown area.

I would think it would go downtown, that’s where the medical facilities are.

I would think it would go downtown, that’s where the medical facilities are.[/quote]I think they do some teaching at the University Hospital too, but yeah I think it would go downtoen. Much bigger facility