Medical & Law School News

Having the Chief Academic Officer at CHS express a preference to just expand the current Chapel Hill program is distressing, but clearly somebody with $225,000 to throw at this wants something else, because you do not fund a study to stay on the same path, you just lobby for funding. The timing for this is interesting. We have a Governor who is from Charlotte and did not go to academically-suspect UNC-Chapel Hill or any ACC school, he reportedly has ambitions for higher office and health care is a key topic. Leading the charge on building a new medical school sure would give him an edge over competitors that just have opinions. Obviously this is an uphill battle, but an exciting possibility.

(edit: I think[size=2] [font=verdana]UNC-CHeat is too glib and easily dismissed as hater-talk from fans of ā€œlesser schools.ā€ A[/font][font=verdana]cademically-suspect UNC-Chapel Hill stabs them in the heart.)[/font][/size]

It will go at CMC because it is a Level I Trauma Center with existing residencies and fellowship programs as well as the academic faculty in place. It would be housed somewhere on CMCā€™s campus. My guess is one of the surface lots out front, like where the old ā€œDoctors Buildingā€ was located.

The previous time we wanted a medical school Duboisā€™ idea was a joint venture with CMC and Novant.
Dreadful idea. The only reason CMC has partnered with UNC CH is they had the school size to pull it offā€¦ all that happened was a reallocation of students. The only faculty changes were very modest upgrades to the Medical Education Building, which essentially was the addition of a student lounge. Thatā€™s it.

I would think it would go downtown, thatā€™s where the medical facilities are.[/quote]I think they do some teaching at the University Hospital too, but yeah I think it would go downtoen. Much bigger facility[/quote]

My bet is there would be essentially two locations. Students would spend their first two years at a classroom/lab building next to the current Center City Building. (I heard the Chancellor publicly say earlier this year that there were plans for a second building - across 9th street from the current building - and it (again he said) that it would make the most sense for it to house a law or medical school to be there.) The third and fourth years, which are usually in-hospital would most likely be at CMC, unless Novant has decided that they want to make a big push into residencies, etc.

clt says in other news, Apple state is preparing to certify lifeguards.

Dont try to academic smack talk Harvard of the South.

[quote=ā€œNLP49, post:242, topic:23614ā€]It will go at CMC because it is a Level I Trauma Center with existing residencies and fellowship programs as well as the academic faculty in place. It would be housed somewhere on CMCā€™s campus. My guess is one of the surface lots out front, like where the old ā€œDoctors Buildingā€ was located.

The previous time we wanted a medical school Duboisā€™ idea was a joint venture with CMC and Novant.
Dreadful idea. The only reason CMC has partnered with UNC CH is they had the school size to pull it offā€¦ all that happened was a reallocation of students. The only faculty changes were very modest upgrades to the Medical Education Building, which essentially was the addition of a student lounge. Thatā€™s it.[/quote]

I agree with this. I rotated at CMC for a month as a visiting medical student (recent graduate of ECU med school and c/o 2009 Charlotte alumni). Not enough volume/sick patients come to presbyterian to give a meaningful clinical education to a moderately sized class. Additionally, I could see this turning the Novant system upside down as most of the docs that are there made the decision at some point that they didnā€™t want to be a part of an academic medical center.

UNC will fight this for sureā€¦ Iā€™ve heard stories from people who were around at the start of ECUā€™s medical school that said UNC was very vocal about not wanting the new school to exist. Thankfully they didnā€™t get their way and the med school in Greenville puts out the best physicians in the state (MDā€™s that actually stick around in NC and serve their community unlike a lot of UNC med grads). Maybe UNC Charlotte will have this opportunity as wellā€¦ I know Iā€™d definitely be a huge supporter of it.

The University of North Texas and Texas Christian University plan to open a medical school together in Fort Worth, according to sources.

Texas has a lot of medical schools already as another recently opened in Austin. I think if administration has the will to open a school here, it could happen.

[quote=ā€œmld1111, post:247, topic:23614ā€]The University of North Texas and Texas Christian University plan to open a medical school together in Fort Worth, according to sources.

Texas has a lot of medical schools already as another recently opened in Austin. I think if administration has the will to open a school here, it could happen.[/quote]

Maybe we could partner with ECU or Wake Forest if UNC-Ch doesnā€™t want to partner with us initially to start a med school.

[quote=ā€œJaMiNNiNeR, post:248, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œmld1111, post:247, topic:23614ā€]The University of North Texas and Texas Christian University plan to open a medical school together in Fort Worth, according to sources.

Texas has a lot of medical schools already as another recently opened in Austin. I think if administration has the will to open a school here, it could happen.[/quote]

Maybe we could partner with ECU or Wake Forest if UNC-Ch doesnā€™t want to partner with us initially to start a med school.[/quote]

Still have to get it past the Chapel Hill alumni dominated BoG.

clt posts update: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article41971482.html

Lots of quotes in that article that should make our admin (a) furious and (b) take action. Wake me up when either happens.

Lots of quotes in that article that should make our admin (a) furious and (b) take action. Wake me up when either happens.[/quote]

clt says gotta take the belk tower down first.

ā€œVenture capital now goes to RTP,ā€ Praeger said. ā€œBut UNC Charlotte is doing phenomenal things.

City staff had proposed spending $10 million to bolster UNC Charlotteā€™s College of Computing and Informatics.

But council members voted to kill that funding in 2013. At the time, council member LaWana Mayfield said the business community should pay for the $10 million. And council member Patsy Kinsey said the cityā€™s investment in the university would make her uncomfortable.

Way to go City Council. Letā€™s spend another $40 million on a trolley, or perhaps expand the ā€œyarn artā€ project where ā€œartistsā€ weave yarn in the chain-link fence next to the track. That was money well spent. Letā€™s not give any public money to our public university in an effort to create high-paying jobs.

Why does no one ever feel uncomfortable giving for profit businesses like the Hornets, Panthers, & Nascar city money? Why does no one say let those that profit from light rail pay for it? But God forbid we help our public school in our backyard.

Because those entities can fill politiciansā€™ pockets with campaign donations to help them get reelected, the University canā€™t (directly).

From the draft Institutional Plan just released, thereā€™s talk of a four-year med school, but not necessarily ours alone, just ā€œin Charlotteā€.

Provide leadership for the work of the Medical Education Task Force, comprised of representatives of the UNC School of Medicine, the Carolinas HealthCare System, the Charlotte Medical Education Expansion Committee, and UNC Charlotte, to examine the long-term prospect of developing a four-year medical school in Charlotte.
http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan

[quote=ā€œemf, post:256, topic:23614ā€]From the draft Institutional Plan just released, thereā€™s talk of a four-year med school, but not necessarily ours alone, just ā€œin Charlotteā€.

Provide leadership for the work of the Medical Education Task Force, comprised of representatives of the UNC School of Medicine, the Carolinas HealthCare System, the Charlotte Medical Education Expansion Committee, and UNC Charlotte, to examine the long-term prospect of developing a four-year medical school in Charlotte.
[url=http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan]http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan[/url][/quote]Better than not having a school here at all and way better than having the only medical school in Charlotte be branded as the UNC School of Medicine.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:257, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œemf, post:256, topic:23614ā€]From the draft Institutional Plan just released, thereā€™s talk of a four-year med school, but not necessarily ours alone, just ā€œin Charlotteā€.

[url=http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan]http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan[/url][/quote]Better than not having a school here at all and way better than having the only medical school in Charlotte [b][u]be branded as the UNC School of Medicine.[/u][/b][/quote] Who says it won't still be branded that way?

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:258, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œNiner National, post:257, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œemf, post:256, topic:23614ā€]From the draft Institutional Plan just released, thereā€™s talk of a four-year med school, but not necessarily ours alone, just ā€œin Charlotteā€.

[url=http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan]http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan[/url][/quote]Better than not having a school here at all and way better than having the only medical school in Charlotte [b][u]be branded as the UNC School of Medicine.[/u][/b][/quote] Who says it won't still be branded that way?[/quote]

Right, I wouldnā€™t be shocked if CHP didnā€™t say, ā€œplease, take any of our available resources, oh, and btw, call it whatever you want.ā€

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:258, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œNiner National, post:257, topic:23614ā€][quote=ā€œemf, post:256, topic:23614ā€]From the draft Institutional Plan just released, thereā€™s talk of a four-year med school, but not necessarily ours alone, just ā€œin Charlotteā€.

[url=http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan]http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan[/url][/quote]Better than not having a school here at all and way better than having the only medical school in Charlotte [b][u]be branded as the UNC School of Medicine.[/u][/b][/quote] Who says it won't still be branded that way?[/quote]

It will.