Medical & Law School News

That affiliation has existed for years. No change. The new school they are talking about may be totally different.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/07/26/story4.html?b=1280116800%5E3687591&page=2

Thatā€™s progress. Itā€™s shaping up like I expected. We get our feet wet in some form of accredited partnership - and a decade or so later, a hand-off commences. Hopefully Iā€™ll still be alive when Charlotte is churning out Doctors. Will be good for the area - Just as Johnson & Wales has done wonders for the culinary scene!

The city desperately needs a med school and the country absolutely needs more doctors. Good to see Dubois is advocating for one. Greenville, SC has a new med school. UNC Charlotte like it or not will have to partner with unc-ch before going on our own.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Having a medical school on our campus affiliated in an official capacity with UNC Charlotte is whatā€™s key. I see nothing wrong with a partnership with Chapel Hill on this. It would be a huge win.

Am I missing something? That article is from 2010.

Wow, youā€™re right. I didnā€™t see the date, just popped up on my facebook feed. Well shit.

clt is reporting that the belk tower will be removed soon.

Someone with inside connections recently told me we would jump to FBS after only 2 years of football.

The time for Charlotte to move to secure the medical school is right after the election when the legislature meets. If McCrory wins, he needs to do something for Charlotte, the city and the university, and does not have to run for re-election, so he can build a bipartisan coalition to get this through even if the Republicans from the hinterlands are against putting something new in Charlotte.

If Cooper wins, he wants to win more votes from Mecklenburg. It may be too late to stop the I-77 tolls, but a medical school in Charlotte is a good way to build support for his re-election bid.

[quote=ā€œfrequentvisitor, post:290, topic:23614ā€]The time for Charlotte to move to secure the medical school is right after the election when the legislature meets. If McCrory wins, he needs to do something for Charlotte, the city and the university, and does not have to run for re-election, so he can build a bipartisan coalition to get this through even if the Republicans from the hinterlands are against putting something new in Charlotte.

If Cooper wins, he wants to win more votes from Mecklenburg. It may be too late to stop the I-77 tolls, but a medical school in Charlotte is a good way to build support for his re-election bid.[/quote]

I like where your head is on this.

Hereā€™s a good chance to advance a Medical School to the public at large:

http://charlotte.uli.org/news/living-charlotte-survey-now-open/

Nevermind, after completing I realized it didnā€™t allow comments.

Next week I'll be involved in some pretty high-level discussions about medical education in Charlotte. This has been a topic of debate and research for quite a while, and I look forward to reaching a conclusion soon about the best course of action for our university to take. All of these discussions are in close collaboration with the UNC School of Medicine (which currently runs a program in Charlotte for 3rd and 4th year medical students) and the Carolinas HealthCare System.

http://chancellor.uncc.edu/updates/2016-11-02/chancellors-fast-five-update-november-2-2016

[quote=ā€œemf, post:293, topic:23614ā€]

Next week Iā€™ll be involved in some pretty high-level discussions about medical education in Charlotte. This has been a topic of debate and research for quite a while, and I look forward to reaching a conclusion soon about the best course of action for our university to take. All of these discussions are in close collaboration with the UNC School of Medicine (which currently runs a program in Charlotte for 3rd and 4th year medical students) and the Carolinas HealthCare System.

http://chancellor.uncc.edu/updates/2016-11-02/chancellors-fast-five-update-november-2-2016[/quote]

clt says this could be huge for us if handled well.

We just need to have a group of about 50 protestors supporting UNC Charlotte show up at the hospital, & announce weā€™re doing a hostile takeover of the Med School & itā€™s now 49er property, & remove all Tar Heel logos. If anyone questions our authority, say weā€™re doing it per Pres. Trump, & if you donā€™t like it weā€™ll nuke! :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate to bump this thread but didnā€™t want to put this in the law school one. I think if we pursure anything in the near future, it needs to be a medical school. Only reason why Iā€™m bringing this up is because Iā€™ve had many friends/coworkers/family have to go to RTP for medical reasons. Most recently coworkers rare condition is now having to be treated at duke university. Donā€™t get me wrong, I appreciate having these world-class hospitals in our state like UNC, Duke, and even Wake Forest Baptist hospitals. But what it makes me wonder, is why north Carolinas largest city, has no med school presence by itā€™s largest university. Our Levineā€™s children hospital is nationally recognized and a great asset, but in general our hospitals rank below the ones mentioned above. Not saying we need to compete with their med schools, but I believe in order to sustain and attract top quality doctors and nurses, we need the research and educational resources to back it up. Charlottes population is growing at record numbers, which means more people are going to encounter rare, specialized diseases or cancer. When things get too serious, are we always going to have to send our friends and loved ones to duke or unc? We need doctors and hospitals here that can handle specialized diseases and highly performed procedures. I know itā€™s not an overnight type deal, but I think we need a med school sooner rather than later.

clt says UNC CHeat is the reason. we compete more with UNC R, thus helping them. Engineering, architecture, etcā€¦

UNC Health Care joins with Charlotteā€™s Carolinas HealthCare to create mega medical system

[quote=ā€œemf, post:298, topic:23614ā€]UNC Health Care joins with Charlotteā€™s Carolinas HealthCare to create mega medical system
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article170437247.html[/quote]

UNC Health Care, a not-for-profit health care system owned by the state, operates the only state-owned teaching hospital in North Carolina. By teaming up with the renowned medical research system, Carolinas HealthCare hopes to expand medical education in the Charlotte area.

In 2010, the UNC School of Medicine launched a Charlotte campus at Carolinas Medical Center, the flagship hospital of Carolinas HealthCare System.

ā€œWe look forward to growing that with them,ā€ Roper said this week.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article170440017.html

I wouldnā€™t be shocked if this means a full blown medical school in Charlotte.

I WOULD be shocked if it isnā€™t located downtown at the main CHS hospital.

Donā€™t get your hopes up about a medical school at UNC Charlotte.