Medical & Law School News

clt asks about this UNC Health care. is this part of the UNC system?

Per NLP it’s never ever happening (A UNC Charlotte school of Medicine), and that is just the way the triangle wants it. I am NA’s complete and total lack of surprise.

Our leaders and administrators are cucks. Forget every athletics drubbing we have ever taken, this is the biggest Loss in 49ers history.

ECU has a med school. Guess why? They fought like hell to get one. We, however, have never established any political capital or any backbone, at all. We are quite happy to be Chapel Hill’s bitch.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:302, topic:23614”]Per NLP it’s never ever happening (A UNC Charlotte school of Medicine), and that is just the way the triangle wants it. I am NA’s complete and total lack of surprise.

Our leaders and administrators are cucks. Forget every athletics drubbing we have ever taken, this is the biggest Loss in 49ers history.

ECU has a med school. Guess why? They fought like hell to get one. We, however, have never established any political capital or any backbone, at all. We are quite happy to be Chapel Hill’s b****.[/quote]

At this point it isn’t a surprise and par for the course. We will have to make our name in things other than law and medical.

clt says if it is the UNC hospital system, that should apply to all schools. ECU and UNC CHeat should be included.

Figures our administration sits back and lets this happen. Anyone who is shocked obviously doesn’t know Charlotte very well.

Sadly, most of us are NOT shocked.

We should not give up on a med school. We should press the next chancellor on this issue just like we did for football. The city of Charlotte still needs a full fledge research oriented medical school. In reality if we were ever going to start a medical school we would have to partner with unc-ch to get it off the ground.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/02/no-deal-atrium-health-unc-health-end-merger-talks.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_CH&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a99e58204d3010628d6d620&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

CMC and UNC deal dead

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:308, topic:23614”]https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/02/no-deal-atrium-health-unc-health-end-merger-talks.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_CH&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a99e58204d3010628d6d620&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

CMC and UNC deal dead[/quote]

With this deal dead let’s get the ball rolling on The University of Charlotte Medical School!

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:309, topic:23614”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:308, topic:23614”]https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/02/no-deal-atrium-health-unc-health-end-merger-talks.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_CH&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a99e58204d3010628d6d620&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

CMC and UNC deal dead[/quote]

With this deal dead let’s get the ball rolling on The University of Charlotte Medical School![/quote]
Phil says we have more pressing issues like getting a medical school, so he needs to act NOW. Start figuring it out because a medical school would transform this school even more.
With addition of light rail and then a medical school that’d be huge.

When did Phil say we need a Medical School?

We have to win this fight. Charlotte leadership will not be successful on their own as the UNC system will shut them down quickly. We have to insist that we battle for a medical school and provide our full support.

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:311, topic:23614”]When did Phil say we need a Medical School?

We have to win this fight. Charlotte leadership will not be successful on their own as the UNC system will shut them down quickly. We have to insist that we battle for a medical school and provide our full support.[/quote]
That seems to be always what Phil says, “We are looking into a medical school or law school and cannot be occupied with (whatever it is, name change or what have you)”

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:312, topic:23614”][quote=“49ER9ER, post:311, topic:23614”]When did Phil say we need a Medical School?

We have to win this fight. Charlotte leadership will not be successful on their own as the UNC system will shut them down quickly. We have to insist that we battle for a medical school and provide our full support.[/quote]
That seems to be always what Phil says, “We are looking into a medical school or law school and cannot be occupied with (whatever it is, name change or what have you)”[/quote]Where did this quote come from? This is contrary to anything that I have seen him say in print or heard in a face to face conversation with him years ago. I hope that you are right.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:313, topic:23614”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:312, topic:23614”][quote=“49ER9ER, post:311, topic:23614”]When did Phil say we need a Medical School?

That seems to be always what Phil says, “We are looking into a medical school or law school and cannot be occupied with (whatever it is, name change or what have you)”[/quote]Where did this quote come from? This is contrary to anything that I have seen him say in print or heard in a face to face conversation with him years ago. I hope that you are right.[/quote]
I’ve seen people on here say for years he wanted either a medical school or a law school. Seen it over and over again.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:314, topic:23614”][quote=“NinerNirvana, post:313, topic:23614”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:312, topic:23614”][quote=“49ER9ER, post:311, topic:23614”]When did Phil say we need a Medical School?

That seems to be always what Phil says, “We are looking into a medical school or law school and cannot be occupied with (whatever it is, name change or what have you)”[/quote]Where did this quote come from? This is contrary to anything that I have seen him say in print or heard in a face to face conversation with him years ago. I hope that you are right.[/quote]
I’ve seen people on here say for years he wanted either a medical school or a law school. Seen it over and over again.[/quote]

[size=3]"[font=new century schoolbook lt std]Dubois mentioned that a medical school was a more likely long-term possibility and that he had discussed starting a 25 size class of medical students with UNC School of Medicine Dean Roper and UNC System President Margaret Spelling."[/font][/size]
[size=2]
[font=new century schoolbook lt std]http://ninertimes.com/2017/02/chancellor-philip-l-dubois-discusses-construction-diversity-and-possibility-of-a-law-or-medical-school/[/font][/size]

[font=new century schoolbook lt std][size=3]I do think it is something he would rather tackle than a name change but I also see him riding out his final years in peace. [/size][/font]

Wait is he dying or making more money per year than at any point in his career?

Whatever is best for this University is what he needs to be fighting for.

clt says we need to push this now. Like a #firejudy effort.

If Phil gets a medical school he will be a legend. We will forgive his athletic failures but will expect greater success moving forward.

Phil has done some great things. The major knocks in him is sports decline and bowing to chapel hill. Getting Hill fixing things and a medical school would go a long ways to standing up to chapel hill.

He will always though be guilty of tearing down an iconic landmark simply because he did not like it.

Some of the key challenges include:

1. Where to put it? It has to be at CMC-Main. Only Level I trauma center, has the beds, has the acuity, has the residents, has the faculty. No other option comes close. Presby is miles behind in the tertiary care department.

2. How to pay for it? State needs to be willing to pay for it. A generous benefactor would also help.

3. Where do the patients come from? We have two very dominant health care providers in the region in Atrium and Novant. They have more or less carved up the the patient market other than those served by each county’s respective public health agencies.

Personally I think for it to happen it needs to be a public/private partnership. Trying to start an independent health care system to compete with Novant and Atrium would be too costly. I would leverage Atrium’s desire for more access to clinical trials and their existing strengths to come up with a partnership with them. Any attempt to do something with Atrium and Novant together simply won’t happen. Atrium isn’t interested.