Medical & Law School News

clt provides a key contact:

https://www.premierinc.com/about-premier/leadership-team/susan-devore/

[quote=“NLP49, post:320, topic:23614”]Some of the key challenges include:

1. Where to put it? It has to be at CMC-Main. Only Level I trauma center, has the beds, has the acuity, has the residents, has the faculty. No other option comes close. Presby is miles behind in the tertiary care department.

2. How to pay for it? State needs to be willing to pay for it. A generous benefactor would also help.

3. Where do the patients come from? We have two very dominant health care providers in the region in Atrium and Novant. They have more or less carved up the the patient market other than those served by each county’s respective public health agencies.

Personally I think for it to happen it needs to be a public/private partnership. Trying to start an independent health care system to compete with Novant and Atrium would be too costly. I would leverage Atrium’s desire for more access to clinical trials and their existing strengths to come up with a partnership with them. Any attempt to do something with Atrium and Novant together simply won’t happen. Atrium isn’t interested.[/quote]any chance novant would pony up for a public private partnership if the state agreed to kick in funds, or is it pretty much atrium or bust?

I don’t know what novants financial situation looks like.

For this to happen, it will require a strong ground roots effort. Each of us will have to tap into our circle of influence and talk it up at every opportunity. A medical school will act as a catalyst in our overall recovery and set the stage for Mike Hill to build transition us to a stronger conference, increase our fan base, and improve our university image. We will finally be able to build our own identity.

We will have to partner with an existing medical school before becoming autonomous. What existing school will partner with us unc-ch, ECU, Wake Forest, Duke, or USC?

Wow! Wow! and Wow! Ghostofclt, what a great find.

Susan Devore has a phenomenal resume and list of accomplishments. She is one of us and could lead this University to unbelievable things. I hope our leadership has her deeply engaged and is charting the course for a medical school at our University.

I am overly impressed and extremely optimistic. Without question, she is “exactly” the type of outside leader this University needs to move us to the next level. Just when I was beginning to lose hope…

[quote=“49ER9ER, post:325, topic:23614”]Wow! Wow! and Wow! Ghostofclt, what a great find.

Susan Devore has a phenomenal resume and list of accomplishments. She is one of us and could lead this University to unbelievable things. I hope our leadership has her deeply engaged and is charting the course for a medical school at our University.

I am overly impressed and extremely optimistic. Without question, she is “exactly” the type of outside leader this University needs to move us to the next level. Just when I was beginning to lose hope…[/quote]

Devore has been on our Board of Trustees for a couple of years.

We both graduated with degrees in Business Administration in the same year. She is a good example of the value of an A student versus a B- student. :’(

Memphis studying a medical school.

Behind the scenes emails about uni being blindsided by Atrium / Wake Forest partnership, with some choice quotes. You can skip entering email address to read.

Emails: Dubois and UNCC administrators were surprised by Atrium-Wake med school plans – “Whaaaaa?!?!”

Top UNC Charlotte leaders were totally blindsided by the news in April that Atrium Health and Wake Forest University were collaborating to bring a medical school to Charlotte, according to university emails obtained by the Ledger under the state’s public records law.

1 Like

:scream:

7 Likes

NA is my mf"n boy

For me, this comes down to one simple question: If there is only going to be one medical school in Charlotte, does the State of NC/UNC System/UNC Health Care want it to be under their banner, or Wake Forest’s?

A quick check shows multiple medical schools in the following cities: D.C.; Chicago, L.A.; New Haven/North Haven, CT; Miami; Atlanta; New Orleans; Baltimore; Boston; St Louis; Omaha; NY City; Cleveland; Philadelphia; Nashville; and Houston. This does not mean that Charlotte will ever have two.

It is time for Dubois to fish or cut bait. He got scooped here because he thought he was the decision maker, and it is clear that he is not. Atrium and Wake Forest have made him look out of touch in his own town. It still may be possible to turn this around, but I believe it would take the State of NC/UNC System/UNC Health Care and UNC Charlotte to partner and push their way in. If not that, we should set up a partnership with the Wake Forest medical school and give Chapel Hill the finger.

It took forever for Charlotte to get 1, I don’t see a 2nd coming anytime soon. I don’t know what WFU would gain by partnering with us in their venture with Atrium.

We’ve dun goofed.

Yeah at best I could see them creating an agreement with us on a pre-med path to their medical school, but nothing more.

Has anyone ever tried to email Gene Woods?

Sometimes things do happen simply by the “squeaky wheel”. While we do have a large alumni base. I think we’re still lacking the squeaky wheels.

Kudos to NA!

Will Folwell try to torpedo Atrium’s med school plans?

Fresh off his objection to Police Chief Kerr Putney’s retirement/non-retirement plan, State Treasurer Dale Folwell is taking aim at another Charlotte target: the proposed combination of Atrium Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health . The two healthcare companies are working on a deal that would bring a medical school to Charlotte.

According to Business North Carolina, Folwell — who is from Winston-Salem — criticized the potential partnership Tuesday at the Local Government Commission meeting in Raleigh. And he hinted that he plans to take it on:

All hospital combinations that reduce health care competition are “bad for North Carolina,” Folwell said. He added that “the situation in Winston-Salem is a very serious situation. There will be more to come out about this.” He declined to expand on his comments.

The matter emerged after the LGC staff noted that Atrium is expected to seek approval for $600 million bonds at the group’s January meeting. All state-backed debt issues require approval by the LGC, which has a nine-member board that is chaired by the state treasurer.

Forsyth fears: Some in Winston-Salem have been wringing hands that a link-up with Atrium will result in Charlotte vacuuming up Winston-Salem’s prized healthcare company, much as we have done to their banks. (We’re letting them keep their their tobacco companies.)

Atrium said in a statement that it is committed to rural healthcare and that combining with Wake would yield benefits for patients.

Was a little surprised that this wasn’t being discussed. This is a great day for Charlotte AND Winston Salem.

And yes this was a lost opportunity for Our school because of a lack of vision by the UNC System but at least Charlotte is going to get a medical school.

Of course the original sin was placing the second state supported medical school in the middle the boonies in Pitt County. SMH

1 Like

Hugh McCall, the former chairman and chief executive of Bank of America Corp. and one of the most influential Charlotte civic officials, said in a statement the medical school “will be the most transformational initiative in the history of Charlotte.”

Sad that UNC Charlotte and the UNC System took a pass on this. Choosing irrelevance is not a good look.

1 Like