Medical & Law School News

http://www.salisburypost.com/News/101810-WEB-CMC-UNC-qcd

All I can say is fuck Chapel Hill. I hope the whole University burns to the ground and toxic waste is spilled all over the campus.

Donā€™t let UNC SOM into OUR cityā€¦we should fight for our own medical school. The future of our school depends on it!

Bump. We should not forget this Bullshit.

Agreedā€¦

Bump again (just in case anybody was forgetting about it)

i was told by charsf in another thread that we should not be on this board criticizing unc-chapel hill. donā€™t worry. i did not listen.

Letter I sent to Dr. Newton, the Dean of CH Med School.

Dear Dr. Newton, Iā€™m writing you about your plans for UNC-CH to build Med Schools in Charlotte & Asheville. My name is Kenneth J. Houck, Jr., & Iā€™m an Alumus of UNC Charlotte. I agree that Charlotte needs a Med School. However, I believe that sister institutions in the UNC System should have some respect for each other. Any Med School in Charlotte should obviously be run by UNC Charlotte. And the Med School in Asheville should be run by UNC Asheville. Iā€™m not sure why UNC Chapel Hill would think they should run someone elseā€™s backyard. And apparently this isnā€™t an isolated incident. ECU had to fight in the 1970ā€™s to get the Med School in Greenville to be theirs, not UNC-CHā€™s. Rumor has it that UNC-CH has a Med School in Elizabeth City which should obviously be under the watch of ECSU. I saw a UNC-CH ocean research lab outside of Beaufort, yet UNC Wilmington is the only school in an ocean county. And just recently UNC Greensboroā€™s hope for a Pharmacy were shut down so UNC-CH could do one in Asheville, UNCAā€™s sole domain. I would hope your University would quit trying to leach off of your sister schools. This is not morally right. We should be partners since we are in the same education system, but apparently UNC-CH wants to suck on their sisters like vampires. This will not go unchallenged. Our students and alumni are contacting the NC General Assembly, the UNC Board of Governors, students and alumni of the other UNC System Schools, as well as leadership at said schools on what to do to fight this monstrosity of a power hungry takeover by Chapel Hill. Iā€™m not sure how you sleep at night intentionally stealing Med Schools from UNC Charlotte & UNC Asheville. May God have mercy on your soul.

[quote=ā€œstonecoldken, post:108, topic:23614ā€]Letter I sent to Dr. Newton, the Dean of CH Med School.

Dear Dr. Newton, Iā€™m writing you about your plans for UNC-CH to build Med Schools in Charlotte & Asheville. My name is Kenneth J. Houck, Jr., & Iā€™m an Alumus of UNC Charlotte. I agree that Charlotte needs a Med School. However, I believe that sister institutions in the UNC System should have some respect for each other. Any Med School in Charlotte should obviously be run by UNC Charlotte. And the Med School in Asheville should be run by UNC Asheville. Iā€™m not sure why UNC Chapel Hill would think they should run someone elseā€™s backyard. And apparently this isnā€™t an isolated incident. ECU had to fight in the 1970ā€™s to get the Med School in Greenville to be theirs, not UNC-CHā€™s. Rumor has it that UNC-CH has a Med School in Elizabeth City which should obviously be under the watch of ECSU. I saw a UNC-CH ocean research lab outside of Beaufort, yet UNC Wilmington is the only school in an ocean county. And just recently UNC Greensboroā€™s hope for a Pharmacy were shut down so UNC-CH could do one in Asheville, UNCAā€™s sole domain. I would hope your University would quit trying to leach off of your sister schools. This is not morally right. We should be partners since we are in the same education system, but apparently UNC-CH wants to suck on their sisters like vampires. This will not go unchallenged. Our students and alumni are contacting the NC General Assembly, the UNC Board of Governors, students and alumni of the other UNC System Schools, as well as leadership at said schools on what to do to fight this monstrosity of a power hungry takeover by Chapel Hill. Iā€™m not sure how you sleep at night intentionally stealing Med Schools from UNC Charlotte & UNC Asheville. May God have mercy on your soul.[/quote]

:o Dayyyyyyumā€¦nice :stuck_out_tongue:

If only there was vision at Charlotteā€¦ if you wait, someone will take it away from you. PA program taken away from Elon and possibly a pharmacy school from UNC Greensboro.

The new $50 million school will house the current undergraduate programs in exercise science and athletic training, as well as new graduate programs in physician assistant studies, physical therapy and occupational therapy. [b]The university also is studying the creation of a School of Pharmacy. The program became available when the University of North Carolina at Greensboroā€™s plans for a school did not develop.[/b]

Link: GROWTH PLAN: New health school will bring in 100 high-paying jobs

I couldnā€™t find Dr. McDeavitt of CMCā€™s e-mail, but I found an e-mail for the entire Diversity Comm. heā€™s on.

Dear Dr. McDeavitt & the rest of the Committee, My name is Kenneth J. Houck, Jr., & Iā€™m an alumnus of UNC Charlotte. Iā€™m writing to you about Dr. McDeavittā€™s plans to start a UNC Chapel Hill Med School in Charlotte in connection with CMC. While I agree we need a Med School in Charlotte, any Med School in Charlotte through a public school obviously should be a UNC Charlotte Med School, not an affiliate of some other school over 150 miles away. And what gets me is UNC Charlotte has faithfully worked with CMC in training nurses for decades, & now Dr. McDeavitt is stabbing UNC Charlotte in the back for another school that has no ties or history to CMC. I donā€™t understand how Dr. McDeavitt can treat CMCā€™s business partner of several decades so shabbily. This is just morally wrong. CMC has committed a Benedict Arnold, Judas Iscariot, Pearl Harbor, & Brutus type move on UNC Charlotte. The students & alumni of UNC Charlotte are busy contacting the NC General Assembly & the UNC Board of Governors to try & put a stop to this madness.

Letter to my State Rep. & State Sen.

Dear Rep. Alexander & Sen. Rucho, My name is Kenneth J. Houck, Jr., & Iā€™m a constituent of yours in NC House District 107 & NC Senate District 39. I am an alumnus of UNC Charlotte, & we were trying to get a Med School in collaboration with CMC & Presbyterian Healthcare, but unfortunately UNC-Chapel Hill has worked out a deal behind our backs to make a Med School for themselves in Charlotte with CMC & also in Asheville, which should be the sole domain of UNC Asheville. I believe the 17 schools in the UNC System should work together as partners, not rivals. Itā€™s not right to poach on othersā€™ turf. Iā€™m pretty sure if UNC Charlotte tried to start an Engineering School in Chapel Hill, then UNC-CH would be rightfully upset. As you are in the legislator, & have influence over budgets, could you talk to the UNC Board of Governors on making sure that each school in the UNC system has proper domain over their backyard? This isnā€™t the first time this has happened. ECU had to fight in the 1970ā€™s for the Med School in Greenville to be theirs, & not UNC-CHā€™s. Recently UNC Greensboro lost out on a Pharmacy School in Greensboro because UNC-CH wanted to open a 2nd Pharmacy School in Asheville, the sole domain of UNCA. Also, that shut down the prospects of a private school, Wingate, who wanted to open a Pharmacy School in Asheville. Stealing business from the private sector is an illegal monopoly. Also, rumor has it that in Elizabeth City, there is a UNC-CH Med School, which should obviously be run by ECSU. NC Central just got a fed grant to study the health of minorities, & $4.9 million of their $12 million grant had to be shared with UNC-CH. That isnā€™t right. Why is UNC-CH stealing fed research dollars from NCCU? I also saw a UNC-CH ocean research lab in Beaufort, & UNC Wilmington is the only UNC school in an ocean county. I would appreciate your help on making this a priority to insure that the future Charlotte Med School is run by UNC Charlotte where it belongs, & to correct other injustices at other schools around the state.

Good pointā€¦

EXCELLENT pointā€¦[/quote]

fixed.

op-ed piece todayā€¦ >:(
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/05/1812623/unc-medical-schools-expansion.html

[quote=ā€œjfickett, post:73, topic:23614ā€]ā€¦

ā€œI am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I ought to do, and what I ought to do, by the Grace of God, I will do.ā€ Miss Bonnieā€™s mantra has never been more applicable to any one situation than the one we face currently. We have not done everything in our power to ensure that the future of this University is as bright and prosperous as it could be. UNC Charlotte will only realize its full potential as a complete University. Football is a base camp. Our Ph.D. programs are the glaciers we use our pick axes to scale. Professional schools (specifically a medical school) are the summit. We have a mountain to climb, Chancellor Dubois, and you are our trusted Sherpa. Please do not give up on making the UNC Charlotte School of Medicine a reality, for I honestly believe that this is a battle than can be won.

Cordially,

Job William Fickett
Class of 2011[/quote]

did Chapel Hill Phil respond?

Itā€™s OK. Momma has told us to shut the fuck up. We should be quiet now.

We should know our roll.

He did, but the response was taken down shortly after being posted, Fickett decided against it.

In summary, Phil basically said, ā€œI understand your concerns. I had a meeting in Chapel Hill. Talks were positive.ā€

So, in summary, ā€œI donā€™t want to step on anyoneā€™s toes, but I mentioned it in a meeting.ā€

Tim Collie and Stanton Adams already mentioned this in the comments on the O site, but you can see the author is deliberately playing on the publicā€™s university name / organizational confusion by choosing to use ā€œUNCā€ versus ā€œUNC-Chapel Hillā€ to make it seem like UNC Charlotte and UNC-Chapel Hill are one in the same.

Yep, this is some bull$h*t! I hate UNC! I hate, I hate, I hate, hate hate hate U-N-C!!!