Medical & Law School News

clt says that you need to contact the observer and get a (sic) added after every mention of unc in that editorial.

I read that rah-rah UNC-CH BS.
I also saw UNC System faces budget cuts, layoffs, & 1 school possibly closing, but we got $ for CH to stick their nose in our business.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:122, topic:23614”]I read that rah-rah UNC-CH BS.
I also saw UNC System faces budget cuts, layoffs, & 1 school possibly closing, but we got $ for CH to stick their nose in our business.[/quote]

We could save billions closing just 1 school…Chapel Hill. ;D

is mike writing for the editorial staff now? don’t forget. we received no anti football writeups the entire time he was in china?

i’m not accusing. i’m just asking.

This just pisses me straight off. This person’s comments just boiled my blood.

[i] SammyG12 Today 08:53 PM

It is astounding to me the lack of support that is expressed here within the comments. It is sad that Charlotte residents are not being more supportive to this program that has entailed YEARS of work and effort by some of Charlotte’s most hardworking, dedicated, LOCAL professionals.

This is the 1st non negative article I have yet to see published in the Observer regarding this Medical School expansion. However, in my opinion the Charlotte Observer has done a horrible job presenting the facts of this story and the reporters should be ashamed of their work. In fact, because of their slanted reporting I am canceling my subscription to this paper.
This campus is the first step of a blossoming program that will solidify, in the future, many medical students and doctors in Charlotte, helping our community to grow and thrive.

To the Charlotte Observer- I am disappointed in your lack luster reporting of this historic event. In addition, I was astounded to see that you did not even comment on the ground breaking ceremony where many north carolina officials and A UNCC OFFICIAL were in attendance, pledging their support and excitement concerning this endeavor. But why should I be surprised, you always support the negative, never the positive.

Please renew your commitment to reporting the facts, not pushing some sort of underlying agenda.
Charlotte residents deserve the facts, and because of you, they have been mislead.
Congratulations on sewing so much dissent to one of our city’s greatest achievements of the decade, especially in these trying economic times.
Hopefully the people will see past these antics and see how exciting this new campus truly is for our city, although I don’t see how that will be possible if the reporting continues in the same slanted way (in my opinion)

Let me repeat, this is a GREAT thing for Charlotte and a great thing for healthcare in our area. Unfortunately, it has been spun to be quite the opposite. Goodbye, Charlotte Observer. [/i]

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/05/1812623/unc-medical-schools-expansion.html#ixzz14TD6pAg3

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:125, topic:23614”]This just pisses me straight off. This person’s comments just boiled my blood.

[i] SammyG12 Today 08:53 PM

It is astounding to me the lack of support that is expressed here within the comments. It is sad that Charlotte residents are not being more supportive to this program that has entailed YEARS of work and effort by some of Charlotte’s most hardworking, dedicated, LOCAL professionals.

This is the 1st non negative article I have yet to see published in the Observer regarding this Medical School expansion. However, in my opinion the Charlotte Observer has done a horrible job presenting the facts of this story and the reporters should be ashamed of their work. In fact, because of their slanted reporting I am canceling my subscription to this paper.
This campus is the first step of a blossoming program that will solidify, in the future, many medical students and doctors in Charlotte, helping our community to grow and thrive.

To the Charlotte Observer- I am disappointed in your lack luster reporting of this historic event. In addition, I was astounded to see that you did not even comment on the ground breaking ceremony where many north carolina officials and A UNCC OFFICIAL were in attendance, pledging their support and excitement concerning this endeavor. But why should I be surprised, you always support the negative, never the positive.

Please renew your commitment to reporting the facts, not pushing some sort of underlying agenda.
Charlotte residents deserve the facts, and because of you, they have been mislead.
Congratulations on sewing so much dissent to one of our city’s greatest achievements of the decade, especially in these trying economic times.
Hopefully the people will see past these antics and see how exciting this new campus truly is for our city, although I don’t see how that will be possible if the reporting continues in the same slanted way (in my opinion)

Let me repeat, this is a GREAT thing for Charlotte and a great thing for healthcare in our area. Unfortunately, it has been spun to be quite the opposite. Goodbye, Charlotte Observer. [/i]

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/05/1812623/unc-medical-schools-expansion.html#ixzz14TD6pAg3[/quote]
WTH?

Please, Raper, ugh, I mean Roper, :)) , The O kisses UNC-CH’s a55, & the only way to benefit is to have it be a UofC school, so lick my left nut sack, bitch!

I noticed some disturbing things in Charleston from a public school perspective. College of Charleston is a public school, but MUSC, not MCofC is next door. I know about the alleged USC system being separate from other non-USC public schools, but to me, all public schools in SC are the same. The Medical University of South Carolina should be the Medical College of Charleston. Hell it’s right next door. Why have people think of Columbia?

And the HL Hunley from the Civil War is being repaired on the docks by Clemson U. Restoration Instutitute? WTF? Hello, Citadel students started the daggum Civil War, it should be the Citadle Restoration Institute.

Citadel & CofC students, alums, & faculty not standing up for themselves hurts our case, so we need to get them off their assets!

I saw one of these signs on a medical building off Morehead Street today. >:(

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:127, topic:23614”]Please, Raper, ugh, I mean Roper, :)) , The O kisses UNC-CH’s a55, & the only way to benefit is to have it be a UofC school, so lick my left nut sack, b****!

I noticed some disturbing things in Charleston from a public school perspective. College of Charleston is a public school, but MUSC, not MCofC is next door. I know about the alleged USC system being separate from other non-USC public schools, but to me, all public schools in SC are the same. The Medical University of South Carolina should be the Medical College of Charleston. Hell it’s right next door. Why have people think of Columbia?

And the HL Hunley from the Civil War is being repaired on the docks by Clemson U. Restoration Instutitute? WTF? Hello, Citadel students started the daggum Civil War, it should be the Citadle Restoration Institute.

Citadel & CofC students, alums, & faculty not standing up for themselves hurts our case, so we need to get them off their assets![/quote]

Kenny… I like you and all… but please spouting off with no understanding of the situation hurts our case as a university as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_University_of_South_Carolina

In short: MUSC was founded as a private college in 1824, became public later, and has absolutely nothing to do with USC’s med school.

I didn’t know MUSC wasn’t affialited with USC-C, but I do know perception is reality, & that’s the perception.

Mr. Bojangles I sure hope no one defaces the UNC School of Medicine sign on Morehead. That would be a tragedy.

I make yearly contributions for academics as well as athletics. I am thinking about writing the chancellor a letter explaining that I will cease to give academic donations if he continues to flaunt the UNC School of Medicine opening a branch in Charlotte instead of us having our own medical school. I doubt it does any good, but I can already think of other ways to spend that $1,000 a year.

I would love to see our University have a medical school but the city of Charlotte is the largest metro area in the United State without a medical school. A medical school is a huge economic engine in a community and the city of Charlotte needs one sooner than later. I desperately hate unc-ch but logistically it makes sense for them to expand their medical school into North Carolina’s largest city because they already have the doctors and the infrastructure in place to support an upstart medical school. We would have to start from scratch which would be more expensive and I doubt the general assembly is going to give us the money needed to get a medical school off the ground considering the current state budget crunch.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:132, topic:23614”]I would love to see our University have a medical school but the city of Charlotte is the largest metro area in the United State without a medical school. A medical school is a huge economic engine in a community and the city of Charlotte needs one sooner than later. I desperately hate unc-ch but logistically it makes sense for them to expand their medical school into North Carolina’s largest city because they already have the doctors and the infrastructure in place to support an upstart medical school. We would have to start from scratch which would be more expensive and I doubt the general assembly is going to give us the money needed to get a medical school off the ground considering the current state budget crunch.[/quote]Banned.

[quote=“Niner National, post:133, topic:23614”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:132, topic:23614”]I would love to see our University have a medical school but the city of Charlotte is the largest metro area in the United State without a medical school. A medical school is a huge economic engine in a community and the city of Charlotte needs one sooner than later. I desperately hate unc-ch but logistically it makes sense for them to expand their medical school into North Carolina’s largest city because they already have the doctors and the infrastructure in place to support an upstart medical school. We would have to start from scratch which would be more expensive and I doubt the general assembly is going to give us the money needed to get a medical school off the ground considering the current state budget crunch.[/quote]Banned.[/quote]Seconded.

thirded. let’s just change our name to unc-chapel hill at charlotte while we’re at it.

You could always counter my argument and explain how a medical school would be funded, who we would partner with (CMC is partnered with unc-ch), and where it would be located? I guess a rational debate is out of the question. I don’t really want to see a unc-ch medical school in Charlotte that is a bitter pill to swallow but my point was is would be cheaper for a school that already has the infrastructure in place to expand. Currently we have no medical professors, or medical students, or research grants in place. If you are CMC and you are making a unbiased business decision and you need doctors what decision are you doing to make?

Well, here we go. First, if you read the whole thread and the articles linked to it you would know that Presbytrian had estimated a UNC Charlotte FULL school of medicine would have cost $200 million, the same as this “extension” program form Chap-ass Hole, NC. Second, the money to build the buildings for the Chap-ass Hole program came from the same pot (the taxpayers) as it would have to build the same for us. Finally, and let me say this clearly, FUCK CMC. Not one damn doctor will be put out by this program that will live in Charlotte that wouldn’t have came from Chap-ass Hole to begin with to work here.

You could JUST AS EASILY made this a real medical school ran by UNC Charlotte as you could have with Chap-ass Hole running it from 200 miles away. Its about control, nothing more.

Actually, just read the 1st post in the thread.

A Charlotte Medical School would cost approximately $200mil
A Chapel Hill Medical School in Charlotte would cost approximately $239mil. But it would be WAY cooler because it’s ‘Chapel Hill’.

Well, here we go. First, if you read the whole thread and the articles linked to it you would know that Presbytrian had estimated a UNC Charlotte FULL school of medicine would have cost $200 million, the same as this “extension” program form Chap-ass Hole, NC. Second, the money to build the buildings for the Chap-ass Hole program came from the same pot (the taxpayers) as it would have to build the same for us. Finally, and let me say this clearly, f*** CMC. Not one damn doctor will be put out by this program that will live in Charlotte that wouldn’t have came from Chap-ass Hole to begin with to work here.

You could JUST AS EASILY made this a real medical school ran by UNC Charlotte as you could have with Chap-ass Hole running it from 200 miles away. Its about control, nothing more.[/quote]

Owned.

I want JaMiNNiNeR to understand that this is neither good for UNC Charlotte or the city/region. It doesn’t bring a real medical school here, it delays it! and may even kill it forever. The result is that medical industry, medical research industry and federal grants will continue to go to the Triangle. Those industries will not even look to locating in Charlotte and they sure as hell won’t partner with a University that has little to no part in that industry. Charlotte is becoming an Energy Industry hub because UNC Charlotte has proven it can support their workforce needs. Without a medical school of our own we won’t get the research, we won’t get the businesses and we won’t get the benefits that both give to our constitutents.