Medical & Law School News

Most recent thing I see is this: [font=lucida grande][size=11px][/size][size=13px]UNC Charlotte Mark your calendars! The second 49ers for Life Blood Drive is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011. Let’s top App State’s record! Enter sponsor code 14077 to pre-register online[/size][/size][/font]

Charles Pipkins Where is our med school?

We need to organize a march on CMC to protest.

And don’t forget the 1st one to be on nat’l TV during the UT game on Fri. with a “Dubois, where’s our Med School?” sign gets $50 from me in Bounty Bowl 2.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:156, topic:23614”][quote=“HP49er, post:150, topic:23614”]Thanks for nothing CHP!

I suppose this is one instance that I am glad not to be living in Charlotte and being force fed UNC-CH and CMC medicine. I would challenge each of you to make sure all of your doctors were affiliated with Presbyterian and not CMC.

If anyone is up for some anti-UNC-CH med school cheering Friday night, count me in.[/quote]

If I was an enterprising young college student I’d be at Walmart buying green paint…not saying YOU should. ;)[/quote]

All you have to do is add “Charlotte” at the end of the sign and paint the “UNC” Green instead of that gay blue. How could anyone pull for a team with a fag color anyway?

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:163, topic:23614”]We need to organize a march on CMC to protest.

And don’t forget the 1st one to be on nat’l TV during the UT game on Fri. with a “Dubois, where’s our Med School?” sign gets $50 from me in Bounty Bowl 2.[/quote]

Done.

Also felt the need to chime in on FB.

Found this article:

http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/body.cfm?id=1219

It looks like we had a representative at the dedication.

Those participating in Saturday's ceremony at CMC included: [b]Dr. Joan Lorden, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte[/b], and Dr. Marschall Runge, Executive Dean of the UNC School of Medicine. Mr. Tarwater, Dr. Roper and Dr. McDeavitt offered remarks on behalf of their organizations.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:166, topic:23614”]Found this article:

http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/body.cfm?id=1219

It looks like we had a representative at the dedication.

Those participating in Saturday's ceremony at CMC included: [b]Dr. Joan Lorden, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte[/b], and Dr. Marschall Runge, Executive Dean of the UNC School of Medicine. Mr. Tarwater, Dr. Roper and Dr. McDeavitt offered remarks on behalf of their organizations.

I thought that was her that I saw in the video. She the second one from the right on the stage. What’s the matter CHP? Didn’t want to go accept your congratulations in person?[/quote]

Wanted to post this for anyone who wants to read…summarizes the feelings of the anti-CHP group, IMO. This is my reply to a post on my wall about funding issues for a medical school (which was the biggest and most legitimate concern).

Rob,

First of all, thanks for your comments. Your concerns are legitimate. I’m going to address each point as best I can, so bear with me if I go off-topic.

Obviously, the issue of funding is the biggest hurdle, as you mentioned. To be perfectly honest, I don’t know for sure that the money is out there (right now) for us to have a permanent, 4 year medical school. Private loans would definitely be an option, but in these economic times, we’d be hard-pressed to come up with the majority of the money needed to offset the deficit remaining after the state appropriated any and all available funding towards this hypothetical school. Presbyterian Hospital supported a plan for CMC, Presby, and UNC Charlotte to all work together to establish a 4 year school in this region, but from what I understand, CMC had no intentions of even considering this possibility (basically giving the finger to Presby).

I may get crucified for saying this, but I really wish the effort put towards football starting in 2006-2007 would have been used for a medical school instead. Granted, the positives of the football team far outweigh the negatives (in my opinion) and the football program is long overdue. But we’ve already missed out on our chance to make a big splash (the 2004-2005 conference realignment fiasco, where we didn’t get into the big east solely because we didn’t have football) so any further delay really isn’t going to make that big of a difference. We are going to be FCS for a long time (I doubt we’ll be ready to move to FBS in the next big conference realignment Armageddon), and while I am excited that future Charlotte students are going to have a football team (something they can tangibly get behind), a medical school would go A LOT further towards “legitimacy” in the eyes of the region’s public and would be a better long-term investment for private donors, simply because of the doors it could open for UNC Charlotte to start more professional schools and programs down the road.

The issue that fuels the rage and anger towards the chancellor and the administration is the way in which this whole ordeal was handled. Multiple editorials in local newspapers were published (one of the best of these is here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/29/1724657/key-med-school-question-whats.html#none) that detail how unlikely the “branch campus” system is to provide the adequate physicians needed in the Metrolina region. The need for physicians and a medical school in this region is not a new phenomenon. As I said, I don’t know if funding could have been found for a four year med school in Charlotte could be found, but we DIDN’T EVEN TRY to find out.

This is where the hate spewed towards Phil comes in. He bent over and took it. Phil is one of the least charismatic people I’ve ever met. While he should have been out in the community (years ago) gauging interest in a 4 year medical school for UNC Charlotte and trying to rally local business leaders, politicians, and the hospital companies (CMC and Presby) he sat back and watched. And waited. Then, it was too late. The fact that UNC-CH has the gall to place branch campuses of their pharmacy and medical schools around the state is not surprising. What is surprising (and inexcusable, in my opinion and many others) is that we let this happen in our back yard without a fight. Even if we would have lost the fight, the funding wasn’t there, etc, and the UNC-CH-Charlotte med school gets started anyways, at least our leadership went to bat for us.

Instead, I get an email back from the Chancellor (after the first lengthy one I sent) that read: “To be credible in this discussion in the future, we need to become much stronger in the area of biomedical research. We had a meeting yesterday with some folks yesterday with respect to increased partnerships with Chapel Hill in this area through their translational research program. Those conversations were positive.”

…CTD…

So your answer is INCREASED PARTNERSHIPS WITH THE SCHOOL THAT HOLDS US BACK?

PUHLEEEEEEEEEZE, dude. The spirit of Bonnie Cone at this school is gone. We were never intended to be second-best to anyone. We were never meant to be seen as a second-rate school that needs the mothership to approve our every move and tell us when to “know our role.” The reply from the Chancellor was a total cop-out. To be more credible in this discussion we need a Chancellor that WILL NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. Not someone who is ok with this University being continually berated by the BOG and NC Legislature.

As you said about increased demand for new enrollment, it would require a huge capital shift. I don’t know why the chancellor got it in his head that we need to have 35,000 students by 2020, but to me, it would make more sense to drastically decrease the size of the incoming classes (in turn creating a more rigorous admissions process and productive academic environment) and use that money on creating more professional/doctorate programs that will build our reputation both nationally but more importantly in this region. Instead, we are virtually invisible to this city and those that do know about us cannot get past the “degree factory” stigma that we have created for ourselves through accelerated growth (that we don’t have money for) and increasingly expensive capital projects (that we don’t even know if we have teachers to fill the buildings).

You also mentioned the fact that some major cities have two or more medical schools. I would venture a guess (I haven’t done the research) that most of these consist of 1 public school and all others private, as it would seem unlikely to me that multiple publicly-funded, research-oriented medical schools could coexist in the same metropolitan region.

The chancellor “believes” that long-term, we will have control over the medical school in Charlotte. He is kidding himself if he actually thinks that will be the case. UNC-CH has no incentive to turn over a medical school program to us, just as they have no incentive to help us in any other way, shape, or form. By UNC-CH, I also mean the Board of Governors, which basically consists of NCSU/UNC-CH grads that prefer their money keep circulating in house.

This has become entirely too long, so I’ll wrap it up. I don’t know if the money is out there. I assume that it would have been if we would have had the foresight to get the ball moving on a UNC Charlotte medical school years ago (talking to Presby hospital, CMC, local politicians, NC Legislature, etc before UNC-CH put the idea in their heads.) But just like with football, hindsight is 20/20 and it continually bitch-slaps this school in the face. In my opinion, the “leadership” needs to go. Long-time supporters of the academic and athletic programs at this school are teetering on the edge because we feel as though our potential will never be realized with the current administration in place. If we lose the battle, we don’t necessarily lose the war. But we never even showed up to the battle. We raised the white flag from the very beginning and that was that. Now we have a UNC-CH-Charlotte medical school adjacent from our campus…and people thought we had an identity crisis before!!!

Thanks for bearing with me. I hope my ranting somewhat answered your question. We may have been doomed to be the red-headed step-child from the beginning, but by not fighting for our cause, we’ve certainly cemented our place now.

Thanks for reading,

Job Fickett
Class of 2011

Dr. Lorden is getting an e-mail soon about being a traitor to the University. (From what I hear from a very reliable source.) :))

this is redic, i want to throw up :-[

is that UNC-CH sign at the carolina medical center? I actually have some green paint close to 49er color and wouldnt mind trashing that hideous sign.

oh if someone really makes the sign “Dubois, where’s our med school?” that would be such a win

I suggest a slow, building cheer during the game tomorrow of “Med School, Med School, Med School.” It would be noticed by all sorts of folks in attendance. Lew can you get this going, I’m sure the non-students on NNN would jump on it from their seats in the arena.

ill tell everyone around me to start that chant. lets for real do that

[size=12pt]Ho, ho, ho… Phil’s gotta go![/size]

[quote=“HP49er, post:150, topic:23614”]Thanks for nothing CHP!

[/quote]

I wish we would have known when this dedication was going to go down…could have had some niners out there picketing and protesting.

[quote=“jfickett, post:176, topic:23614”][quote=“HP49er, post:150, topic:23614”]Thanks for nothing CHP!

[/quote]

I wish we would have known when this dedication was going to go down…could have had some niners out there picketing and protesting.[/quote]

Of course they weren’t going to advertise that… they know better.

get gold, for $50 for the 1st person on tv with a sign, I think someone is gonna do the sign for sure.

Great idea. At least this way we get something positive from this game.

Apparently 3 old buds from College Republicans in the ‘90’s don’t seem to care that we’re getting steam-rolled by CH. And these are anti-CH people. :’(