Mejia leaves Depaul

DePaul’s Mejia leaving the team for 'personal issues’
Dec. 30, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

ROSEMONT, Ill. – DePaul sophomore guard Sammy Mejia is taking a leave of absence from the basketball team for personal reasons.

“Sammy and I have decided that he should step away from basketball and focus on personal issues,” head coach Dave Leitao said Thursday in a statement before the Blue Demon’s game against Rhode Island.

The 6-foot-6 Mejia started in all nine games this season, averaging 12.9 points per game. Last year, he became only the fourth freshman in DePaul history with 100 or more assists, finishing with 140.

But not for long…

Demons show some muscle

From that link:

It wasn’t just the sight of sophomore guard Sammy Mejia back in uniform, or another sterling double-double performance from senior forward Quemont Greer, that had DePaul coach Dave Leitao feeling better Sunday after a 73-60 victory against Old Dominion.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 09:29 AM [b] It wasn't just the sight of sophomore guard Sammy Mejia back in uniform, or another sterling double-double performance from senior forward Quemont Greer, that had DePaul coach Dave Leitao feeling better Sunday after a 73-60 victory against Old Dominion. [/b]
Greer almost was a Niner. Meanwhile Vincent Grier is tearing it up for Minnesota. I still like Eddie over both of them.

I heard Sammy sat out because his disgruntled uncle didn’t get his window decal for being in the Century Circle of the Champions Club. Glad that mess got straightened out.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 09:44 AM [b] I heard Sammy sat out because his disgruntled uncle didn't get his window decal for being in the Century Circle of the Champions Club. Glad that mess got straightened out. [/b]
Oh, is that what a joke sounds like, because for some reason, I thought it would be funnier.

Vincent Grier was a huge loss.

[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Jan 4 2005, 09:41 PM [b] Vincent Grier was a huge loss. [/b]
yeah, team chemistry was great when he was here. and the jumper of his was just great

oh wait it wasnt…