Memphis Banks GONE

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/bask…s.ap/index.html

can’t believe nobody put this yet

The team might be better off for it. He’s been a terrible influence on the team since he arrived, he never wanted to be there in the first place. If Rice is out as well with the assault charges for an extended period of time, they are in trouble. Not a good way to finish off their last season in a major conference. They were even starting to turn it around on the court until last night. Who knows what team we will see late February in Halton.

I posted it in a shout earlier today, but nobody responded.

All college players should read this, so much talent wasted…

Banks is paying for some choices that he’s made
By Geoff Calkins, Memphis Commercial Appeal
January 16, 2005

Sean Banks had just dropped 28 eye-popping points on Cincinnati. Someone asked Bob Huggins what he thought.

“Cal would be disappointed if I didn’t say he was a lottery pick,” Huggins said. “The guy is, without question, a lottery pick.”

John Calipari was livid. He called athletic director R.C. Johnson from Cincinnati to complain that people were trying to get Banks to go pro.

Less than a year later, Banks is going somewhere, anyway. A source told The Commercial Appeal that Banks has been ruled academically ineligible for the second semester.

He can’t play again this season. It’s difficult to believe he’ll be back next year.

Banks’s last shot as a Tiger was a missed free throw at the end of Saturday’s stunning 61-59 loss to TCU.

Calipari wouldn’t admit this after the game – he said he was “waiting to hear” – but the Memphis players all seemed to have a pretty good idea.

“I’m ready to do what I can to help,” said Waki Williams.

“It’s too bad,” said Arthur Barclay.

“There’s nothing you can do about it,” said Anthony Rice. “We know he’s not going to be here, so we have to move on.”

Rice shrugged. What’s left to say?

Banks was a certain millionaire at the end of last season. He was ESPN.com’s national freshman of the year, ahead of Duke’s Luol Deng.

Now he’s a lost child, a man without a team, and a pariah to NBA scouts.

Why?

Because of his own choices. Because of moments when he could have done the right thing, and did the other thing instead.

It’s a theme for the week, really. Don’t ever say sports can’t teach us some things.

Jeremy Hunt had a choice.

DeAngelo Williams had a choice.

Sean Banks had his choices, too.

He chose to skip the tryouts for USA Basketball’s Under-21 team. He chose to spend the summer away from Memphis and his teammates.

He chose to blow off school.

“School’s not hard,” Barclay said. “All you’ve got to do is go to class and take notes.”

Barclay wasn’t ripping Banks, by the way. Despite their scrap after the Texas game, he pulls for the guy. He also knows what it means to screw up.

Barclay flunked out of Memphis after his sophomore year. He had a bum knee and couldn’t play. His buddy, Dajuan Wagner, had bolted for the pros.

“I stopped going to class,” Barclay said. “It was completely my fault.”

Barclay was so ashamed, he didn’t even tell his friends back in New Jersey. They thought he wasn’t in the box scores because of his bad knee.

Meanwhile, Barclay was in Detroit, living with his uncle, shoveling snow and trying to persuade Memphis officials to take him back.

“I would have walked back to Memphis,” he said. “I made a promise to myself I would never fail a class again.”

He hasn’t, either. Promise kept.

“Life isn’t over when you mess up,” Barclay said. “It all depends on how you react.”

You hear that, Sean? You hear that, Jeremy?

It all depends on how you react.

Banks has NBA talent. This doesn’t have to be the end for him.

He could work to make himself eligible at Memphis in the fall. He could transfer and try again. He could turn pro and hope to get drafted in the second round.

But none of that’s going to matter if he doesn’t change, if he doesn’t take responsibility for his own life.

Banks didn’t lose his lottery ticket; he put it through the shredder.

He went from millionaire to dime-a-dozen in less than a year.

Can he get back to millionaire?

Never mind that. He has to get back to doing the right things. He has to get back to making smart choices and trust that good things will come.

Barclay sat across from Banks’s empty locker, living proof as to how it can work. The guy is never going to play in the NBA. He doesn’t have the physical gifts. But here’s something Barclay’s going to do in May: Walk across the stage, collect a diploma and know he’s made good.

How great must that feel? How satisfying must that be?

“Very,” he said. “After what I’ve been through …”

So here’s hoping Banks is paying attention, because it’s a lesson he could use today. Failure isn’t forever. It’s one of the great things about life.

“You can do anything you want to do,” Barclay said. “But you have to want to, first.”

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jan 16 2005, 07:57 PM [b] If Rice is out as well with the assault charges for an extended period of time, they are in trouble. Not a good way to finish off their last season in a major conference. They were even starting to turn it around on the court until last night. Who knows what team we will see late February in Halton. [/b]
Actually, it's Jeremy Hunt that's out with the assault problems.

Be sure to visit their website to experience the lamentations firsthand.

[b]QUOTE (Butter49er @ Jan 16 2005, 07:57 PM) If Rice is out as well with the assault charges for an extended period of time, they are in trouble. Not a good way to finish off their last season in a major conference. They were even starting to turn it around on the court until last night. Who knows what team we will see late February in Halton.

Actually, it’s Jeremy Hunt that’s out with the assault problems.

Be sure to visit their website to experience the lamentations firsthand. [/b]

Rice has the broken nose- is he out too?

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Jan 17 2005, 04:21 AM [b] Rice has the broken nose- is he out too? [/b]
He played vs. TCU.... he didn't even wear the Hannibal Lecter mask.
[b]In fact, one GM recently described Banks as a "cancer" to ESPN.com. And for what it's worth, the talented scorer has dropped from every notable 2005 mock draft, this after being as high as eighth in some this past preseason.[/b]
[b]Paying for bad planning, Trying 'easy way out' benched Banks; future plans uncertain[/b] By Gary Parrish, Memphis Commercial Appeal January 17, 2005

Sean Banks held a press conference Sunday night at the University of Memphis and confirmed a morning report in The Commercial Appeal that he is academically ineligible.

“I just want to apologize to the fans and the city of Memphis,” said the Tigers’ troubled sophomore. “There is nothing I can say. This is my fault. I’m just sorry that I let everybody down.”

A 6-8 forward, Banks played his final game of the season Saturday when the Tigers lost to TCU, 61-59. His immediate plans still aren’t cemented, but the New Jersey native said he will enroll in classes “somewhere” and work toward regaining his eligibility.

Banks added that if he plays college basketball again, it will be for Memphis, and nobody else. And though he acknowledged one option is to indeed be a Tiger next season, many close to the program believe Banks will likely attempt to first turn pro, even with a damaged reputation.

“As excited as I was and as good as I felt about (former U of M standout) Antonio Burks, that’s how bad I feel about this young man,” said Memphis coach John Calipari. “I just feel really bad for him.”

According to Calipari, Banks’s number of total accumulated hours and grade point average are adequate, and on track for graduation. Instead, what’s making him ineligible is that last semester Banks did not pass at least six hours, which is a requirement for all NCAA student-athletes.

Put another way, he’s finished for the season, but far from flunked out of school at Memphis. No matter, Banks took all the blame, and described himself as “embarrassed.”

“I’m not the greatest student in the world, but there are a lot of people who aren’t who are going to college,” he said. “But you just find a way to get over. Maybe you slack for the first couple of weeks, then catch up the last. And that was my plan, as bad as it sounds. It was the easy way out, but it just caught up to me.”

Sunday’s press conference was the culmination of a season gone wrong, and a long way from the scene 10 months ago when Banks answered questions about whether he’d be willing to turn down millions of dollars to return to college.

Back then, the eventual ESPN.com National Freshman of the Year was considered a lock for the first-round of the NBA draft. But Banks’s skipping of some USA Basketball tryouts combined with revelations of his questionable work ethic, a fight with a teammate and these academic shortcomings now make it doubtful any NBA general manager would spend a first-round pick on him.

In fact, one GM recently described Banks as a “cancer” to ESPN.com. And for what it’s worth, the talented scorer has dropped from every notable 2005 mock draft, this after being as high as eighth in some this past preseason.

“It didn’t have to come to this,” Banks said. “I’ve got to learn to make better decisions. But hopefully I can be an example for other players in college and high school, that you can’t do it this way. Maybe they will learn from my mistakes, and this will be a good thing for somebody else.”

This is still the NBA we are talking about. Someone will draft him in the first round. They can not help themselves. If he has skills nothing else matters.

[b]Banks was a certain millionaire at the end of last season. He was ESPN.com's national freshman of the year, ahead of Duke's Luol Deng.

Now he’s a lost child, a man without a team, and a pariah to NBA scouts. [/b]

Sounds like the Maurice Clariett of basketball- all the talent in the world, but has the brain on a Llama.

Wow!!! My, my, how things have changed.

Anybody else still having Sean Banks nightmares after watching this game last year?

Banks Nets 29 Against Niners

It was a year ago today that Mr. Banks put a hurtin’ on us. I was looking forward to giving him an L in Halton.

Wow 9-11 FG and 6-7 3 pointers!!! I guess I blocked that out of my memory.

How could you forget it, this one has been marked on my calander for a while.